CES-2013 PR: DISH’s New “Hopper with Sling” Delivers Unparalleled Choice and Control, at Home or On

It's more then that, the new CPU has the Sling support in it. That CPU is what converts the pure mp4 stream and converts it to a usable sling format usable by the iPad (which is full retina resolution )

The magic is in the new CPU.
Will the Hopper 2 still have Bluetooth? Or, does the new CPU replace that functionality with Sling?

Yep. Slap the sling inside. Slap a wifi baseband chip inside. Slap a Directv nomad in it. Don't add new hardware of today. Explain why you don't need more than 3 tuners and call it new tech. Sounds just like Apple.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

Meanwhile DirecTV is planning on reducing the number of tuners in their WHDVR receivers. Really looking forward!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I just read this. And....... yesterday ordered my vulkano lava, go figure. But the more I'm reading the more I think ill be happy with it as a sling alternative. Its got storage to save and move to my galaxy tab or Droid phone. Is there a fee per device with dishs sling? I thought 12.99 per for monsoons vulkano client was fair.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hmmm now I'm thinking. I don't think the client fee is a big deal but 150 vs 50 and 24 so were talking 125 more overall. Still on uverse for 2ish months then contract is done. At that point I can evaluate I'd its worth it and give the new hopper time to hit the public. If I like the vulkano ill keep it and decide on service I'd I don't I can always fleebay it and start fresh. Guess it'll give me time to test both. Friend just got sling 500 and wasn't terribly impressed. Great concept tho. Gonna just see how it unfolds.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I highly doubt Dish will start charging a fee for something they have never charged a fee for and that customers have been using for years.

You don't remember February of 2010 then. That is when they combined many miscellaneous fees into one big additional receiver fee. Fees like Tv2 connection fee that you could escape by connecting your phone line and then you couldn't escape the fee at all eventually. Now it is rolled into the additional receiver fee if you have a VIP receiver,which was all you had to pick from back then. Also the $10.00 dvr fee that the 922 had and now the hopper has. It was originally $6.00 dvr fee + $4.00 whole house dvr fee and they combined it into one big fee. IF they want to, DISH can create any new fee they want to ,in order to generate more revenue.

Yes I remember that and those fees and increases made Dishs costs more similar to other providers rates at the time. Dish hadn't changed reciever gees for quite some time prior to that. Also, the $5 connection fee would not be charged to people with a phone line connected and then they offered to remove the fee with auto pay and an email address on file. Then further down the line they completely removed the fee all together. And most likely the real reason that fee was charged is because a customer could get 2 tvs connected with one dual reciever and pay no receiver fees. I think they were willing to give people 2 TV connections at no additional cost but all they asked for was a phone line to be connected. If that wasn't possible then you would be charged $5 but that was still the same if not less than what another provider would have charged for a second set top box for the second TV. What other company at the time could give you service on two tvs with one box and charge no fees? (None) So I respectfully agree to disagree with your point of view on this, but to each his own. :D

Last edited:
Yeah this is kind of cool but I will wait and see what else they come out with. A Hopper with 4 tuners or even 5 would be nice and built in Wifi with more apps plus would like to see them come out with that Remote with the keyboard on it.

Yep. Slap the sling inside. Slap a wifi baseband chip inside. Slap a Directv nomad in it. Don't add new hardware of today. Explain why you don't need more than 3 tuners and call it new tech. Sounds just like Apple.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

I'm beginning to think Louis C.K. is right. We don't apreciate what we have today and will complain about it not being better or having more features. I think any improvement to a technology that is used today is still a step forward. Around 10 years ago was when I bought my first cell phone, and I thought that was pretty awesome at the time. Now we can carry around our TV, without even needing an internet connection. Technology is moving pretty fast and it seems like once a year things get updated and what I have becomes outdated. I'm glad I was born in this era. It could be worse, we could have been born during a time it took a year or more to cross the country and you lost some family along the way.

Now, I just need to buy an iPad
:popcorn

If Dish really saw a demand for more tuners they would probably come out with a box with more tuners. They would probably never release the information, but I bet most of their installs are single hopper and 1 joey. Most viewed networks are the big 4 in prime time. They pretty much have most bases covered with 3 tuners. I would speculate 2 hopper homes are in the 10-15% range.

It would be a huge change to for dish to change switching methods.

If Dish really saw a demand for more tuners they would probably come out with a box with more tuners. They would probably never release the information, but I bet most of their installs are single hopper and 1 joey. Most viewed networks are the big 4 in prime time. They pretty much have most bases covered with 3 tuners. I would speculate 2 hopper homes are in the 10-15% range.

I agree. I prefer having two Hoppers and two Joeys anyway. I have all the Joeys connected to the livingroom Hopper, and the other Hopper is in my bedroom.

Most of the Hopper sales that Dish themselves make may be just one Hopper and some Joeys but doesn't mean that's what the customer needs. Dish is terrible at qualifying their customers. They think a 4 TV hook up should be a Hopper and 3 Joeys even when there are 4 family members wanting to watch TV. Like I've said before, if there are more than 2 people in the house that have different viewing habbits and like to record you need to have 2 Hoppers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts