CES 2016 = HOPPER 3

For PTAT is still just uses one tuner for all 4 networks.
I'm really surprised that DISH didn't just expand the PTAT feature for many other cable channels instead of adding all those tuners. Seems like it would of been easier to do that vs come up with a new hopper with 16 tuners, the hybrid lnb, etc. Of course DISH could still do the PTAT extension if they wanted to down the line. I still would like it if they added the other Locals in the regular PTAT feature like CW , PBS, MyNetwork tv etc. They could at least do that.

I'm really surprised that DISH didn't just expand the PTAT feature for many other cable channels instead of adding all those tuners. Seems like it would of been easier to do that vs come up with a new hopper with 16 tuners, the hybrid lnb, etc.

That would have been ALOT harder, the 4 for 1 tuner only works on channels that are on the same transponder, and thus the same stream. So, lets say that transponder "1" had HBO, TBS, TNT, and USA on it, transponder "2" has SHO, TLC, DISC, and ESPN, transponder "3" has FX, AMC, NATGEO, and HIST, if you want to record off of HBO, SHO, and AMC, you are still using 3 tuners, if you happen to want to record TBS, HBO, and TNT at the same time, you are using 1 tuner, and so on... Lets say it just had 4 tuners and they advertised it as "16 tuners" it would be extremely hard to market and make customers understand that when you record TBS, HBO, TNT, and USA you have 3 whole tuners left, but when you want to record TBS, SHO, and FX you just have 1 tuner left. The four networks that are on the same transponder in all markets is much easier to explain, and to implement, it is much easier to say you can record ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC, than HBO, TBS, TNT and USA at the same time.

Moving certain cable channels to the same transponders so they could be recorded at the head end , wouldn't of been that hard to do .DISH moves channels on the transponders all the time. Picking which channels that customers would want, might be though. I mean I like AMC on Sundays for Walking Dead,but other cable channels might be harder to pick. I still would like the expansion of the locals to include all the main networks like CW, PBS, Mynetwork tv ,etc. That wouldn't be that hard since all the locals are already on the same transponder.

2 coax to hub, one cable from hub to Hopper3. Scott has mentioned this a few times.
Scott said SOLO hub
Take a look for the Hopper Wiring Diagram thread, there is a image there which explains things better. :)

There is only one cable going to your Hopper 3. :D
Scott, where IS the wiring diagram thread? Search didn't turn anything up and it's not a sticky.

Reactions: TheKrell
I'm really surprised that DISH didn't just expand the PTAT feature for many other cable channels instead of adding all those tuners. Seems like it would of been easier to do that vs come up with a new hopper with 16 tuners, the hybrid lnb, etc. Of course DISH could still do the PTAT extension if they wanted to down the line. I still would like it if they added the other Locals in the regular PTAT feature like CW , PBS, MyNetwork tv etc. They could at least do that.

The problem is the transponders are load balanced so that you get the best picture possible. If they loaded up one transponder so it was all sports, so you could record all games at once imagine how bad that would look.

And trust me when I tell you I am sure it was something they thought about.

Actually it is possible some people could get them before they are actually made available. I have heard they do not have many Hoppers with Slings left so if they must then it's possible a hopper 3 could go out....but that's only a last choice scenario.

Reactions: D. Manley
Actually it is possible some people could get them before they are actually made available. I have heard they do not have many Hoppers with Slings left so if they must then it's possible a hopper 3 could go out....but that's only a last choice scenario.
Maybe that will be my barging tactic, I'll tell dish I want another HWS, and a 4K Joey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The problem is the transponders are load balanced so that you get the best picture possible. If they loaded up one transponder so it was all sports, so you could record all games at once imagine how bad that would look.

And trust me when I tell you I am sure it was something they thought about.
I wonder how they balanced the locals to look their best and if they could do that with the remaining locals like PBS and CW by adding them to the PTAT extension?

I think part of the problem of adding CW and PBS to PTAT is the fact that PBS and CW are not always on the same transponders in all markets. If you'll take a look at "The List" you'll see that there are some markets that have PBS, CW, MY and some independents on another transponder

image.jpg
That mean your Vans Loaded with Hopper3s are staying loaded for 3 weeks?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I guess so ..

Reactions: bobvick
I have HWS + H2Kw/usbSling + 3Js
My family can simultaniously connect 2 seperate devices via Dish Anywhere, 1 to each Hopper.
Will changing to 1 H3 + 4 Js restrict us to only 1 Dish Anywhere device?

I forget;

How much of the HDD is the reserved partition for Dish?

Based on previous Hoppers at least, though I'm sure the H3's will be the same. ...

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk