"'CES Curse?" Gadget Show Has Poor Record'

meStevo said:
If anything the internet has simply gotten better at covering it. Nothing replaces a splashy keynote and there's a lot of business done on the floor. This year they are expected to break the attendance record set in 2006 and also the record for the amount of exhibitor space used for the show. It's growing, not contracting.

CES Kicks Off With A Bang Record Attendance Expected - Smarthouse

Most of what I saw today was considerably more crowded than last year.LG booth was so packed I gave up trying to even get in.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys app

From my perspective of just reading the daily tech blogs and such, you would never know there is a major event going on in Las Vegas this week. Seriously, just not seeing the anything like the normal torrent of exciting news items coming out of CES.

Well, if consumers aren't let in, then it's all industry and... press. :p

Pretty easy show for people to get into really, I've been going for years as a Las Vegas local. Registration is free until like August.

attendance Requirements
The International CES is not open to the general public and all attendees must be in the consumer electronics (CE) industry to be eligible to attend the show. Due to the investment made by our exhibitors, International CES show management wants to ensure that its attendees are members of the trade. All attendees must provide two forms of ID: one photo ID and the other proving their affiliation with the CE industry (pay stub, business card, etc.). Attendees will not be admitted into the 2012 International CES without these two forms of ID. Children, friends and family who accompany you to Las Vegas will not be granted access to the International CES unless they are over the age of 18 and have proof of industry affiliation.

attendance Requirements
The International CES is not open to the general public and all attendees must be in the consumer electronics (CE) industry to be eligible to attend the show. Due to the investment made by our exhibitors, International CES show management wants to ensure that its attendees are members of the trade. All attendees must provide two forms of ID: one photo ID and the other proving their affiliation with the CE industry (pay stub, business card, etc.). Attendees will not be admitted into the 2012 International CES without these two forms of ID. Children, friends and family who accompany you to Las Vegas will not be granted access to the International CES unless they are over the age of 18 and have proof of industry affiliation.

So you're saying its difficult to have a business card made? That makes the barrier for entry what, like $4 and shipping, if that? And that's assuming you don't have any business cards at your current job.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

You must not read Engadget

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Engadget is the official news source of the CEA for CES, they are posting anything sent to them even a lot of stuff they wouldn't normally cover.

My videos are now uploading, looks like another 40 minutes to go... then I got to wait for Youtube to process them before they are made available online.

attendance Requirements

This not exactly accurate nor does it describe the overall attitude of the CEA-

To be more precise, you should go through the process of making your registration and see if you are disqualified. While the CEA is not open to the general public, all it requires is a registration process and as stated two forms of ID to include a business card or pay stub. As mestevo said, easy enough to obtain. You do not have to be employed as a buyer for a retail electronics store for example. If you go to the CEA website you will note there are many categories of qualification. For example, in addition to the consumer electronics industry, Media, Press, financing, education, manufacturer of OEM parts and raw supplier, just to name a few. Personally, I fall under "Industry Affiliate" because I use consumer electronics in my business. I've seen employees for the USPS, Physicians, and grade school teachers, even ministers qualify. So who wouldn't qualify? Hard to say but a bum off the street who hasn't worked for years might not qualify.
The general attitude of CEA is to be the biggest trade show and the way to that end is make attendees qualify but make that very easy.
I also go to NAB which is for people in the Broadcast industry. Years ago it was very hard to qualify if you didn't work for a Radio or TV station, but in recent years, just be in the media business and you get in. Not only are these organizations expanding who attends, they are expanding the exhibitors to include many non broadcast products, but remotely related such as professional DVD duplication and printing equipment. Same with CES. Years ago you wouldn't see sewing machines, window shades, and picture frames, tattoo equipment, or washing machines at CES but today, major booths of floor space are sold to these product manufacturers.

Not only that, but I also see more and more obviously younger than 18 kids on the floor with their parents, with badges!

Bottom line- if you want to attend this event, plan to register in the summer and get a simple business card for your home based business, like wedding videos, or satellite installer, or something like that. Easier done than said!

This is my opinion so don't jump on me. I used to be really interested in the CES and would scour Engadget and Gizmodo and this website to see all the latest stuff starting about 7-8 years ago. Could not wait to see the latest gadgets but then I would say a couple years back I just totally lost interest in the show. Seems like nothing is cutting edge or "cool" anymore. A lot of the stuff I see is like "eh, I don't really need that" stuff. I don't know but gadgets just don't do it for me anymore. The only thing I get hyped about is the Apple presentations. Seems like the ultimate gadget for me after all these years is the iPhone and iPad. Other than that, I just don't care about some Chinese company having a toothbrush that can also be used as a laser pointer.

This is my opinion so don't jump on me. I used to be really interested in the CES and would scour Engadget and Gizmodo and this website to see all the latest stuff starting about 7-8 years ago. Could not wait to see the latest gadgets but then I would say a couple years back I just totally lost interest in the show. Seems like nothing is cutting edge or "cool" anymore. A lot of the stuff I see is like "eh, I don't really need that" stuff. I don't know but gadgets just don't do it for me anymore. The only thing I get hyped about is the Apple presentations. Seems like the ultimate gadget for me after all these years is the iPhone and iPad. Other than that, I just don't care about some Chinese company having a toothbrush that can also be used as a laser pointer.

Oh, come on? Have you actually tried that laser pointer toothbrush? :D :D ;)

That's just because you're getting old. Come join us on the bench, right under the Geritol billboard. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)