CEs for 1/2

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
A CE is planned for the HR2x / R22 line.

No CE is planned for any other receivers.

It will probably be Friday evening before we get notes, but if they come sooner, we'll get them posted.

Advice to DirecTV: The #1 complaint on your HD DVRs continues to be GUI responsiveness.

Why not dedicate an entire CE cycle to laying this issue to bed once and for all? After that you can focus on the nice-to-haves such as widgets and MRV. In otherwords, dont put chrome rims and a spoiler on a 1987 Ford Festiva. Instead emulate the user experience on a TIVO or Echostar's DVRs.

Advice to DirecTV: The #1 complaint on your HD DVRs continues to be GUI responsiveness.

Why not dedicate an entire CE cycle to laying this issue to bed once and for all? After that you can focus on the nice-to-haves such as widgets and MRV. In otherwords, dont put chrome rims and a spoiler on a 1987 Ford Festiva. Instead emulate the user experience on a TIVO or Echostar's DVRs.
DIDDO !

I'd rather have MRV on the DVr's now. Frankly I do not think the GUI will ever be fast.

I agree with Vurbano on this. The guide is adequate but I have never seen it where I call it fast. Functional yes but the number 1 thing for me on top of even more HD is MRV especially between HRxx's.

I agree with Vurbano on this. The guide is adequate but I have never seen it where I call it fast. Functional yes but the number 1 thing for me on top of even more HD is MRV especially between HRxx's.

Q. about MRV, does it work with your External HD's ?

Jimbo

Q. about MRV, does it work with your External HD's ?

Jimbo

My external Hard Drives work on the HR20's but I was referring to HD channels so I think you might have confused my comment. Sorry about that. I just see MRV as more important than any feature. I really like the Directv2PC and now I want to move shows between my HR20's.

Part of the problem is that one cycle will never put performance issues "to bed once and for all". Every time they touch that code, they risk causing the system to slow down. Now, in my short time doing this, I have noticed that CE's start slower at the beginning of the cycle and get (a little) faster by the time the release candidate comes around. This is how it goes with software development. First you put the new feature in, then you make it work, then you make it fast - and that last one usually only happens if there are a lot of complaints about speed. Otherwise the suits don't want to spend the time/money on performance tuning.

This CE cycle is shaping up to be one of tying up a lot of little loose ends. Maybe we'll be lucky and performance will be one of them.

i still think the responsiveness of these boxes will not get to where we want them because it's hardware related. yes,it's true the updates have improved the performance of these dvr's but it still isn't where we would like it to be and I don't think it ever will be with these current models. :(

I think it is fair to say when these boxes were designed in 2005 (released in 06) they weren't planning on doing everything they do today.

vod
mrv
1080p
etc.

My external Hard Drives work on the HR20's but I was referring to HD channels so I think you might have confused my comment. Sorry about that. I just see MRV as more important than any feature. I really like the Directv2PC and now I want to move shows between my HR20's.

Only problem I see with this is you need to have a network set up in order to make it work, so that will leave a good number of people out of the equation.
If they could set it up to work internally or thru the data stream that would be great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts