CH 218 MOR Gone?

Update re: TMG nets on Dish

Ladies/Gentlemen,

In light of this thread and a number of the comments relating to the inconsistency of the information being provided by Dish CSRs, please note the following statement from The Media Group:

Due to continuing negotiations relating to the distribution our networks on Echostar’s Dish Network, the broadcast of TMG’s suite of networks, including Men’s Outdoors & Recreation (MOR), Beauty & Fashion Channel, Healthy Living Channel and iShop, has been suspended on Dish. This unfortunate circumstance has occurred despite our efforts to maintain your ability to view our networks during these discussions. We are working directly with Echostar at the highest levels to resolve this issue and get our programming back on the air as soon as possible. Until that time, we find it necessary to clarify several points of information that our viewers have been told by Dish customer service representatives:

1)The Media Group did not suspend the delivery of our networks on Dish; Dish made the decision late Friday, July 13th, to suspend the broadcast of our networks.

2)MOR and Beauty & Fashion continue to broadcast on DirecTV, Channels 604 & 223, respectively. You can also find TMG’s networks on multiple Time Warner and other select cable systems. Please check with your cable or satellite provider for further details or to request one of our networks.

3)Although we are not at liberty to discuss the details of our negotiations with Dish, we can say that despite our understanding of Dish CSR comments to the contrary, the suspension of our networks has nothing to do with a TMG request for “more money”, as we have made no such request.

Our thanks for your continued support as we work to get the programs you love back on Dish.

The Executive Team at The Media Group

1) Does the current contract between Dish and TMG allow Dish to re-broadcast the channels when said contract has expired ??

2) Switch providers because of the loss of shopping channels. That's a desperate measure....

One of the talk shows our radio network carries is also involved with the Healthy Living Channel. When they came on to do their show today, they told us of losing the Dish channel 223. They said Dish notified them Friday they were doubling the rates Dish charges to continue carrying the Healthy Living Channel. They (Dish) gave them four hours to agree to the increase in fees or their channel would be dropped. As has been noticed, the channel was dropped Friday afternoon.

These people claim they were totally blindsided by this action. The first part of their talk show today was discussing this with their listeners and asking them to call Dish Network and ask why the Healthy Living Channel was dropped and when they would have it back. They gave Dish's 800-333-DISH terminal hold number, but also gave a (303) direct number they said would get you to Dish senior management.

They told us that the fees for Dish to carry their channel were already high, but they did get a significant number of callers from Dish viewers. However, the doubling of these fees, especially with only four hours notice, needed a lot of study to determine if it was economically feasible. They said that it was very strange to get such a sudden demand for such an increase, and especially strange to have such a short deadline imposed.

It all smells funny to me.

Channels No Longer Available
Effective immediately, the below channels are no longer available on DISH Network.

-- Men’s Outdoor Recreation – ch. 218
-- iDrive – ch. 221
-- Healthy Living Channel – ch. 223
-- iShop – ch.224
-- Men’s 2 - ch. 219
-- Resorts and Residence – ch. 216
-- Water – ch. 217
-- Beauty and Fashion – ch. 225

DISH Network offers many other home shopping and lifestyle programming options such as HSN, QVC, Shop at Home, Food Network, Fine Living and The Golf Channel.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

With no explanation...
And my reaction was..YAWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNN..Never watched them...I see a posiitve..More space for better stuff....Also this is a prime example why it is imperative we move on to ......A la carte....

That is what I fear.
Either way my phone is ringing off of the hook with pissed of customers.
Reallly?..Thats aamazing..I bet those channels didn't get 50,000 different viewers in a week..combined.....I thought a customer was sh*tting me when he asked about two of those channels and why they weren't there anymore....I almost cracked up...I got serious though and told him it may have been a contractual issue

Maybe E* suddenly raised the rate because they didn't want to keep the channels? Made them an offer the couldn't accept so to speak. Maybe E* found out the channel was generating a lot more money than the owners of the channel led them to believe.

One of the talk shows our radio network carries is also involved with the Healthy Living Channel. When they came on to do their show today, they told us of losing the Dish channel 223. They said Dish notified them Friday they were doubling the rates Dish charges to continue carrying the Healthy Living Channel. They (Dish) gave them four hours to agree to the increase in fees or their channel would be dropped. As has been noticed, the channel was dropped Friday afternoon.

These people claim they were totally blindsided by this action. The first part of their talk show today was discussing this with their listeners and asking them to call Dish Network and ask why the Healthy Living Channel was dropped and when they would have it back. They gave Dish's 800-333-DISH terminal hold number, but also gave a (303) direct number they said would get you to Dish senior management.

They told us that the fees for Dish to carry their channel were already high, but they did get a significant number of callers from Dish viewers. However, the doubling of these fees, especially with only four hours notice, needed a lot of study to determine if it was economically feasible. They said that it was very strange to get such a sudden demand for such an increase, and especially strange to have such a short deadline imposed.

It all smells funny to me.

I can tell you that the idea that TMG demanded a doubling of our current programming fees is categorically false. Without getting into the specifics relating to our carriage agreements, I can tell you that any commentary relating to "programming fees" is simply not germane to this situation. Also, we most certainly didn't hold Dish's feet to a four hour fire, as was suggested in the referenced post. Any programmer (other than ESPN) that has ever done business with an operator, cable or satellite, knows that an ultimatum of that type is not exactly a solid negotiating strategy.

And my reaction was..YAWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNN..Never watched them...I see a posiitve..More space for better stuff....Also this is a prime example why it is imperative we move on to ......A la carte....

To each his own. Were I to tell my wife that ESPN had been taken off air, her response would be an equally large yawn. Hence the reason that 120+ channels manage to survive. I can tell you that the viewer response, particularly as relates to Men's Outdoors & Recreation (MOR), has been overwhelming.

Thats the point I'm trying to make. If they can just remove channels without any notice because Dish fails to make contract deals in a timely manner,what makes anyone think that next time it won't be Cinemax or FX or any other channels. I've heard this before from Dish customers in my area,about dropping channels without notice. I was hoping it wasn't true,but this kind of stuff is uncalled for. Directv has giving months of Notice on Dropping LRW. Maybe not everyone cares about the dropped list right now,but wait untill its something you like.I guess I have to upgrade Directv package already.
Here's the deal...If there is no contract or the contract is expired or the parties are in negotiations E* cannot legally carry the channel...

Hmmm....How do you think E* will recoup the cost of a higher contract? Think about it. They aren't going to eat it. There going to pass it on to us. E*, D* and all cable providers have an obligation to control these cost for customers and shareholders.

If they are going to raise by bill I'd rather it be over something worth while and not this crap. TMG has not leg to stand on here. These channels have little to no viewers.
That seems to be the point the people who complain about dropped channels seem to miss...The fact that E* is in it's negotiations attemting to protect us as cusomers from what E* management sees as unreasonable per sub chrages for services.....I agree with that philosophy......

I can tell you that the idea that TMG demanded a doubling of our current programming fees is categorically false. Without getting into the specifics relating to our carriage agreements, I can tell you that any commentary relating to "programming fees" is simply not germane to this situation. Also, we most certainly didn't hold Dish's feet to a four hour fire, as was suggested in the referenced post. Any programmer (other than ESPN) that has ever done business with an operator, cable or satellite, knows that an ultimatum of that type is not exactly a solid negotiating strategy.

Methinks that "TMG Rep" needs to go back and re-read the post that they responded to, as they misread it by about 180 degees.

I find these threads interesting. I quit using the "All Channels" list years ago, using only my favorites lists and then adding the occasional channel as I read about new ones coming available on this forum. Not only did I not know these channels had been deleted, I didn't know they even existed! Outside of knowing there was a block of shopping channels around the 220 area.

I've always wondered how much of a fuss would be raised if shopping channels disappeared.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)