CH 540-01

hoophead

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
Wisconsin
Why is it that whenever I want to view a game on this channel it does not look any better than a regular channel and it is supposed to be 4k?? I have a Samsung UN55NU8000 (3840x2160)
Thank you in advance

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Why is it that whenever I want to view a game on this channel it does not look any better than a regular channel and it is supposed to be 4k?? I have a Samsung UN55NU8000 (3840x2160)
Thank you in advance
When you say it doesn't look better than a regular channel, are you referring to the resolution, the color, or both? Most of us receiving the 4K signal have noted that the picture is sharp but the colors are "washed out"...

Reactions: eddie willers
When you say it doesn't look better than a regular channel, are you referring to the resolution, the color, or both? Most of us receiving the 4K signal have noted that the picture is sharp but the colors are "washed out"...
both.
I tried something now and will be ready to notice any difference on the 7pm ct game tonight.

both.
I tried something now and will be ready to notice any difference on the 7pm ct game tonight.
On the Samsung remote I went into Settings and followed directions to activate HDR+
But nothing changed to watch the baseball game.
Damnit!

4K HDR content (if Dish actually had any) would be on channel 540-02. 540-01 is for regular (non-HDR) 4K content.
There is FOX network related MLB and some college football games on the schedule for 540-01 and never seen anything on the schedule for 540-02...

So I finally got to sit down and watch the game last night and here's my observation. The 540 was, indeed, sharp as a tack, but more muted colors than the standard satellite channel. I also noticed the the 4K feed was a few seconds faster (not quite as delayed) than the regular channel.

So I went to my Amazon 4K Firestick and used the Fox Now app. It was in HDR, but it was awful. Not as sharp and horribly garish colors. And the most delayed feed of the three.

Now, my TV (LG OLED 55EF9500) was an early iteration of HDR (HDR10 only) and I have never liked it. It pushes red into orange and to adds too much color to boot.

But to get back to last night's feed, the 4k channel on Dish may have seen more muted than the regular Fox channel, but if I stood up and put my forearm next to a close up of the batter's, it would have been a perfect match. Yes...muted according to what we most normally see...but it looked exactly like what we would have seen had we been there in the stadium under the lighting available. After a few minutes, the "muted" colors disappeared and I was looking at the most lifelike picture I have ever seen on a TV.

Reactions: Tampa8
Dumb question...how to tell?
We have the Hopper3
I have a Samsung 2020 model. If I go to sources and click the HDMI source I'm currently using, it shows the info header. If it is 4k it shows the UHD badge. If it is processing HDR it shows the HDR badge. On Dish I note it also shows 60i.

I have checked HDR10+ material and I haven't seen anything more than the HDR badge.

Any Samsung owners, is there a way to see what mode it is when we are using a native Samsung App, that is, not an HDMI source? The info button doesn't help here.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

There is FOX network related MLB and some college football games on the schedule for 540-01 and never seen anything on the schedule for 540-02...
There has never been an event shown on 540-02, the HDR channel. It's been there for a very long time. I'm not sure why!

IIRC the last Olympics were HDR on 540-1 (only one 4K channel back then) then Dish added 540-2 for HDR broadcasts.

Since then all programming has been on 540-1 non-HDR provided by FOX.

As to the picture appearing muted on 540-01, my theory is that that picture is actually truer than the over boosted picture on nearly all TV.

A brilliant picture that jumps out at you tends to stop your channel surfing and hold you there longer (perhaps not too much).

We are are accustomed to a picture that is move vivid than life like and perhaps the 4K picture on 540-01 is more true to life.

Reactions: eddie willers
Thank you in advance
OK, so, reading all of your responses; what do I need to do to get 540-1 viewing in 4K for those games??
Thank you.

My Samsung (2015 4K non-HDR Model UN65J6400) appears to only be able to display picture info from ATSC tuner and even then it is only modulation (8VSB) RF Channel, etc., no picture resolution.

Steps are MENU > Support > Self Diagnosis > Signal Info - practically useless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)