Challenge! Where do the wires go in the back of a Drake ESR 250e ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

olikromberg

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
London, England
Hi there,
I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

Where do the wires go in the back of a RL Drake Co 6246 ESR 250e Receiver?

I'll give a little background and attach some photos.

I live over in the UK and my Mum watches French TV through her Satellite Setup. She has a Big Ugly Dish on her roof that is motorised that is controlled by a Drake ESR 250e box.

She recently tried to upgrade to a new system, but here is the problem:-
The Dish is still pointing to the old Astra Satellite and it needs to be pointing to a new Satellite which is located at 5W (I think).
My mum was told that she wouldn't need the Drake box any more, so she pulled the 5 wires out the back of the Drake box without noting where they were plugged in, and now we need to get the Drake box working again to move the Satellite Dish to the right place.
I have no idea after reading the manual and looking online which of the 8 holes to plug the 5 wires in.

Can you help?

I have 2 cables that have:-
A Yellow wire clipped
A Black and Brown wire twisted together
A Blue Wire
A Green Wire that looks a bit thicker than the others
A White wire
A Red Wire that looks a bit thicker than the others

I have 8 holes at the back of the Drake box:-
LNB Select
GND
Control
+5 VDC 500mA-INT
TM
Sensor
M1
M2

Would anyone know where those 5 wires go? :)

There were also 8 pins with 3 clicked over to Servo/Mag Pol, Bipolar Mag Pol and Normal Video (see attached photo).

The only things I guessed is that the Set up is Magnetic Pol and the Black/Brown wire is to go in the Ground hole? I have no idea really :>

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Oli 1 Wires IMG_1333.JPG2 Back of Drake Box IMG_1334.JPG3 Drake Switches IMG_1346.JPG4 Drake Model Number IMG_1345.JPG5 Back of Drake Manual IMG_1351.JPG6 Drake Manual IMG_1349.JPG7 Drake Manual IMG_1347.JPG

The Big RED and Big Green wires go to M1 and M2, that is for the motor. The White wire should go to the SENSOR, and the Black and Brown to the Ground.
The Yellow and Blue should control the servo. The only ? is which is for +5volts and which is the Pulse signal. The only way to no for sure, is to look at the dish and see what color wires go where. Hope this help's you out.

I'm with Long Hair on the "look at the dish and see what color wires go where". There is a way to just move the dish with only two wires but unless you put the receiver back in the system and connect the wires correctly you will have to hunt for that new satellite as none of the stored positions will be accurate. Since the dish has not moved since the receiver was disconnected, it's a good chance that it will be in the correct position count wise and will make it easier to find your new sat. The two wire method I mentioned would be a "crap shoot" at best but it can be done that way.

It would also help if we knew what feed horn and dish mover you had. Removing the covers from both the feed horn and dish mover and taking pictures would go a long way toward getting everything right the first time.

After looking at the dip settings, I would say you have a Magnetic Polarizer. So no servo control. From what I can see the BLUE wire would go to the Control terminal. Maybe someone can double check and confirm this is the right way to wire it up.

Welcome olikromberg to satguys. Very well done post with the information needed to help you. Hope you get things working right. Great to read something from the other side of the big pond.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)