Chanel Guild Acsending / Decesending

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ken C

Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
LV
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but.... I recently switched to DirecTVand don't like the way the you use "channel down" to page down and get HIGHER number channels. Is thee a way to change the sort order so the channel guild is shown in ascending order rather then descending order??

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but.... I recently switched to DirecTVand don't like the way the you use "channel down" to page down and get HIGHER number channels. Is thee a way to change the sort order so the channel guild is shown in ascending order rather then descending order??

I'm a recent "switchee" to Direct, from Dish, it's more of a pain getting used to seeing 1.5 hours in the guide, instead of 3 hours at a time with Dish. However, the guide going out almost two weeks helps make up for it. I predict after another few weeks it will seem to be the norm because that's what I'll be used to.

I'm a recent "switchee" to Direct, from Dish, it's more of a pain getting used to seeing 1.5 hours in the guide, instead of 3 hours at a time with Dish. However, the guide going out almost two weeks helps make up for it. I predict after another few weeks it will seem to be the norm because that's what I'll be used to.

Hmmm, if you bump the right arrow it will move the hours another 1.5, I don't see a problem with it.
If you make it handle 3 hours, you need to make the font smaller and harder to read.

Don't forget, push the Green button while in the guide and it advances 12 hours and the Red will go back 12, but not into past time.

As a recovering Dish user myself seven years ago, I too thought the DirecTV guide was weird. Now I like it better, and when I go to my Dad's house, I find the Dish guide odd. You'll get used to it.

I dunno, I think Dish's guide is backwards. Every other provider has their guide laid out like DirecTv's.. With the channels ascending as you go down the screen. Even newspaper listings and TV Guide (and the TV Guide Channel's scroll) go that way. Dish is the only provider that defaults the guide to channels descending as you go down the screen (but at least there's an option to change it to the 'right' way)..

I've had D* for a few weeks now and I would say the channel guide is probably Directv's biggest weakness vs. Dish.

The expanded guide with Dish would let you look at twice as many channels across twice as much time in a given view (4x as much guide information if you count times when the annoying banners are eating up half the screen.)

Sure, you can hit right arrow, right arrow, right arrow to view 1.5 more hours, but then you have to hit left arrow, left arrow, left arrow and then page up and then right arrow, right arrow, right arrow to view the next set of channels across three hours.

I don't mind the acending channel structure (as that was an option with Dish and how I had it set up) but I definitely don't like the guide view. I appreciate the expanded content further into the guide (program descriptions etc.) but when I am trying to get a quick overview of what is going to be on TV on a given night in prime time, I've found it easier to just go online as it is a bit more responsive.

That said, the guide is something I can live with being that beyond the channel overview I find the interface to be better on all accounts and love the fact that I can see two weeks ahead.

Maybe in the future there will be an option to expand the guide (I could deal with a font half the size of the current font and still see it perfectly from 12 feet away.)

Either way, I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it.

This little known function may be of some help.
With the guide displayed, select a channel and then click the left arrow to highlight the channel itself.
Then press Info.
This will give you a list of the programs on that channel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.