Changed All Hardware - Still Can't Get A Signal!

Michael2000

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Southern California
If anyone can figure this out, they are a genius.

A few weeks ago my Dish 500 fell down. I put it back up, and could not get any signal.

I changed the reflector thinking it was bent. No change.

I changed the LNBs thinking the shock damaged them. No change.

I changed the cable. No change.

I thought it must be the receiver. I was going to get a 211K anyway in a coulple months, so I replaced my DishPVR with a new 211K, and the Dish 500 with a Dish 1000.2. No change.

I called tech support to confirm the azimuth, elevation, and skew. They were OK.

I checked the pole angle. It was within tenths of a degree to 90 degrees with my digital level.

I checked the azimuth with my GPS digital compass. No change.

I moved the receiver and monitor right up to the dish, so I could monitor the signal. No signal anywhere.

Honestly, I've never had much trouble getting a dish setup and aligned. Usually it only takes me a few minutes. In this case, I get NOTHING, NADA. It's just like there isn't a satellite anywhere, not even the wrong satellite.

Guys, I'm flat out of ideas. I sure hope someone can give me a hand.

Michael

Hi, might the cables have gotten crossed at the LNB? Maybe try taking the receiver out to the dish and hook it up direct to the LNB with a short piece of known good cable. Run a check switch and make sure you only try to point one dish at a time - leave the wing dish disconnected if you have one or if you do hook up direct to it and run the check switch on the wing dish to double check the receiver. Double check the skew on the dish! I found the built in signal meter on my 222 to be very very slow. It is very easy to go right past the satellite. If your 211 is the same it may well be the reason you can't find anything. I used one of those cheap squeal meters available from the sponsors at the top of this page to do the initial course dish pointing then use the slow receiver to verify the correct satellite and then peak the dish - very slowly! Hope this helps, DC

Hmmm. Cover the left and right eyes on the lnb with aluminum foil leaving only the middle eye open for 119. Connect the receiver to Port 1 on the LNB and try aiming again. Even though 119 is on the middle eye of the LNB, it's on the first port on the LNB. Once you find 119, remove the aluminum foil and run check switch.

"The DP Plus 1000.2 LNBF’s default orbital locations are 119° on PORT 1, 110° on PORT 2, and
129° on PORT 3, similar to other LNBFs. Use port 1 for peaking."

Attachments

• QuickFacts_DISH1000.2.pdf
    69.9 KB · Views: 200
Hi, might the cables have gotten crossed at the LNB? Maybe try taking the receiver out to the dish and hook it up direct to the LNB with a short piece of known good cable. Run a check switch and make sure you only try to point one dish at a time - leave the wing dish disconnected if you have one or if you do hook up direct to it and run the check switch on the wing dish to double check the receiver. Double check the skew on the dish! I found the built in signal meter on my 222 to be very very slow. It is very easy to go right past the satellite. If your 211 is the same it may well be the reason you can't find anything. I used one of those cheap squeal meters available from the sponsors at the top of this page to do the initial course dish pointing then use the slow receiver to verify the correct satellite and then peak the dish - very slowly! Hope this helps, DC

Good tips! I was wondering about the response of the 211K meter. I used a 5000 in the past, and it always seemed to respond pretty quickly, so it was easy to find satellites, even the wrong ones!

Michael

Hmmm. Cover the left and right eyes on the lnb with aluminum foil leaving only the middle eye open for 119. Connect the receiver to Port 1 on the LNB and try aiming again. Even though 119 is on the middle eye of the LNB, it's on the first port on the LNB. Once you find 119, remove the aluminum foil and run check switch.

"The DP Plus 1000.2 LNBF’s default orbital locations are 119° on PORT 1, 110° on PORT 2, and
129° on PORT 3, similar to other LNBFs. Use port 1 for peaking."

I gave your suggestion a try. Still no response, and I panned it very very slowly.

I think I am going to order a meter, and see if I can get a better response.

Michael

I gave your suggestion a try. Still no response, and I panned it very very slowly.

I think I am going to order a meter, and see if I can get a better response.

Michael

Try clearing the switch matrix. With the satellite cable disconnected from the receiver, run check switch. Since there's no satellite connected it should clear the switch matrix in the receiver.

and try again. A meter will definitely help too.

The 211/222 strength meter is slow to respond. I suggest setting the correct azimuth and lock it down on one side. Then with the bolts loose on the arm SLOWLY move the dish east west and back again. The slow moving motion will allow 211/222 meter to pick up signal. Also use a transponder that you know is definitely working.
A sat finder meter will definitely help. :rolleyes: Also do a check switch so the switch is identified.
By the way, how did your dish "fall" ??? Must not have been securely mounted.

The 211/222 strength meter is slow to respond. I suggest setting the correct azimuth and lock it down on one side. Then with the bolts loose on the arm SLOWLY move the dish east west and back again. The slow moving motion will allow 211/222 meter to pick up signal. Also use a transponder that you know is definitely working.
A sat finder meter will definitely help. :rolleyes: Also do a check switch so the switch is identified.
By the way, how did your dish "fall" ??? Must not have been securely mounted.

How slow is the 211 meter, ie. from no signal to a signal, how long does one have to wait for a response?

The dish was mounted on a pole that was attached to a 45# cast iron base. It is mostly protected, too. We had a windstorm that sounded like a hurricane one day that came from a direction I've never seen before, and it blew over. It is going to be guyed this time.:)

Thanks!

Michael

What azimuth, elevation and skew numbers are you using? It sounds like the dish isn't aimed correctly.

Have you visited dishpointer.com yet?

How slow is the 211 meter, ie. from no signal to a signal, how long does one have to wait for a response?

The dish was mounted on a pole that was attached to a 45# cast iron base. It is mostly protected, too. We had a windstorm that sounded like a hurricane one day that came from a direction I've never seen before, and it blew over. It is going to be guyed this time.:)

Thanks!

Michael

Sometimes takes 3-5 seconds for signal to show and sound on the meter.
If you had a sat finder meter you would know immediately.

What azimuth, elevation and skew numbers are you using? It sounds like the dish isn't aimed correctly.

Have you visited dishpointer.com yet?

I am using the following:

Elevation: 49
Skew: 91
Azimuth 167 magnetic, 180 true

This is what is on the sheet that came with the 1000.2. I also confirmed them on satcalculator.freehosta.com.

Dishpointer says 50/90/167. Will 1 degree make a difference?

Thanks!

Michael

I did some more aiming tonight. I did some slow stepped sweeps, waiting at least 5 seconds for the meter to show something. I checked the pole again. Right on the money. Still no signal.:(

I also tried Port 2 on the LNB, and, of course, no signal.

Michael

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)