Changes to some Locals for 1/1/09

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Must carry has also helped to widen the audience of marginal stations on the fringe of a DMA. KBEH, KJLA, KVMD, KBBC, and KHIZ are all stations included in the LA DMA but have no business being included as locals IMHO since their signals do not reach any but the smallest portion of the DMA. KHIZ in Barstow is like 10 miles away from the Las Vegas DMA, and KVMD in Twentynine Palms I think is actually IN the Palm Springs DMA.

quick wiki shows the following afiliations

WCLF-CTN (Religious)
WFGC-CTN (Religious)
KMTP-Ethnic type channel
WSKY-Independent..there is another thread on it
KRPV-God's Learning
WPAN-Jewelry TV
KJNP-TBN
KLDT-Daystar
KSCE-Religious
WKAS-PBS
WGCB-Religious
KMLM-God's Learning

Oh no - not WPAN-Jewelry TV won't the ACLU or someone get involved? :rolleyes: What a waste of bandwith.

Sarcastic yes - especially from someone outside of the DMA.;)

Just like the local channel 30 here in LA is carried by Direct and cable, as well as OTA of course. It has the same exact programming every hour as ION. Why should Direct waste bandwidth to duplicate a channel that shows EXACTLY the same program hour to hour as channel 305 on DirecTV

I agree. I know Dish only carries the Ion stations that have sports (like Ion Tampa) and the rest get the national feed

smart if you ask me especially bandwidth wise

Will this changes be affected on both Direct TV and Dish Network customers?

Oh no - not WPAN-Jewelry TV won't the ACLU or someone get involved? :rolleyes: What a waste of bandwith.

Sarcastic yes - especially from someone outside of the DMA.;)

On the other hand, Philadelphia is getting WMCN. That thing is like 99% infomercials itself. I don't know why a channel like that is even allowed to ask for must-carry. Especially since it's in Atlantic City!

There are only two ways that Directv can carry a local channel. Either they negotiate a retransmission agreement or the channel files for must-carry status (which doesn't at this time include HD). If an ION (or other) station opts for must-carry, Directv doesn't have any choice but to carry it. Likewise, if there is no retransmission agreement and must-carry doesn't apply Directv cannot carry the station.

For you info, Dish is also experiencing the same channel losses.

The retransmission agreement between Dish and Fisher expired a couple of weeks ago and the stations are no longer carried. Among others, this includes the ABC station in Seattle. This seems a bit suprising because Dish carried that station in HD long before Directv did.

The list includes our only DirecTV source for our statewide PBS network, WKAS.

We do receive other PBS stations from adjoining states but they do not carry any of our state educational network's programming, obviously.

However, last night the station was still in the lineup, so maybe it will continue to be carried. At any rate, I very seldom watch it, so I guess it shouldn't matter much to me.

I don't think that list is incomplete. I live in the Salt Lake City DMA and we have a station called KJZZ which transmits all of the state. It is an independent station owned by the same people that own the Utah Jazz basketball team. They carry all of the Jazz games not carried nationally. They were dropped after the 1st. The channel says, "Service No Longer Available" I don't know what the story is.

I don't think that list is incomplete. I live in the Salt Lake City DMA and we have a station called KJZZ which transmits all of the state. It is an independent station owned by the same people that own the Utah Jazz basketball team. They carry all of the Jazz games not carried nationally. They were dropped after the 1st. The channel says, "Service No Longer Available" I don't know what the story is.

The station and Directv haven't been able to reach a retransmission agreement. I don't know if that one formerly had "must-carry" status and they are now asking to be paid, but it sort of sounds that way. See this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/159596-kjzz-dropped-midnight-1-1-09-a.html.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)