changing from 9.5020 to 9.5305

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

James leandre

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
26.4 N, 81.4 W
How is everyone doing today?
I have an Azbox ultra which came with the Fw 9.5020. Alot of people have said that the 9.5020 is the most stabile of the Firmware. These receivers are expensive ,and I don't want to mess things up by uploading a FW that fixes one thing and causes another problem. Do you guys think it's better to change to the 9.5305 FW.Thanks ahead of time for everyones comments.

Hi James. My experience has been ... I have two Premium Plus receivers and loaded the latest 5306 in both. We (myself and other members here) found that Opensat has changed the de-interlacing settings so some channels like *** HD looked worse (jaggies on logos etc) so I have gone back to 5020 in both. Also the option to turn the de-interlacing on or off has been removed from the channel menu in the latest batches of firmware.

Last edited:
James,

Don't fret over trying new firmwares. You need to get comfortable with the procedures so that you can load up new firmwares and test them and go back and forth readily to compare. Don't fear them, just ensure that you understand the procedures well. The best way to do this is merely by repeated practice. Read our tutorials and manuals on this subject and simply follow them to the clearest of the letter. You should not have any difficulties, but if you have a doubt or a question, ask first. As far as I can forsee, it is all quite fool proof.

The only item I must urge you to do (or rather to NOT do) is to engage or turn ON the Hardware Accelerator feature. In the majority of cases, no harm will come, but it provides no detectable improvements. The big issue is that it may kill your AZBox's processor and it will be beyond repair by any means available to even the most avid hobbyist or tester. I would prefer you to be "scared" by the notion of enabling the Hardware Accelerator as opposed to being p.o.'d at the result if it doesn't fare well. I went through the situation personally and I gaurantee that you don't want to go through the headache. Beyond that, you are pretty safe with most experimentations.

RADAR

I turned that Hardware Accelerator on by mistake. It took me the better part of a day to figure out how to get it turned off. If anyone would like to hear of my experience with that, let me know.

That is one item I would like to see removed from the Azbox !
It has caused so many problems then what benefits it could do, and it is way too easy to mistakenly turn this to the on position.

That is one item I would like to see removed from the Azbox !
It has caused so many problems then what benefits it could do, and it is way too easy to mistakenly turn this to the on position.

Stargaze,

Absolutely! I agree very much with that and I hope that everyone who reads this will take heed and leave the selection alone. Steer away from it like the plague! You gain NOTHING and you can LOSE EVERYTHING!

RADAR

I turned that Hardware Accelerator on by mistake. It took me the better part of a day to figure out how to get it turned off. If anyone would like to hear of my experience with that, let me know.

Jim,

Why don't you go ahead and relay your experience here and now, since we are on the subject. I think it is important for others to hear your ordeal in order to convince them to steer clear or at least to hopefully recover. This is one of the very bad options that OpenSat allowed to be developed. I know that many people (computer geeks) love to play with beefing up their systems by overclocking, but I think that it is a big mistake. I killed one of my boxes by applying the Hardware Accelerator function.

I had been using it for a long time with my other AZBoxes without trouble, but it didn't do anything exciting for me. Then, I got a brand new box from OpenSat and I turned that feature ON like I did with all my other AZBox's and it just up and died right there on the spot. I could not repair it and had to send it back to Portugal to OpenSat for repair.

RADAR

RADAR

yes the hardware accelerator is a problem and if it is on and you do a fw update you will kill your azbox been there done that and had to do my second JTAG on a azbox but
that is how you learn what to do and what not to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)