Changing from Dish Hopper to Genie WholeHome DVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nodsirrah

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
I am considering switching from my 2 Dish Hoppers and 2 joeys and Sling Adapter to the new DTV Genie HR44 and 4 Clients, assuming of course this system will be available within 2 months!
I have no complaints with the current setup but if I switch I can save over $400.00 with a 2 year contract.
With the current Hopper system setup we can have 3 TV's showing live tv or pre-recorded shows (on either Hopper), and could be recording 3 shows on each Hopper at the same time. Each Hopper has a 2Tb hard drive and a 1 Tb external USB hard drive, so we can also watch shows recorded on the external hard drives. We normally have 3 tv's in use daily.

Can Genie WholeHome HD DVR accomplish the same thing?

I am considering switching from my 2 Dish Hoppers and 2 joeys and Sling Adapter to the new DTV Genie HR44 and 4 Clients, assuming of course this system will be available within 2 months!
I have no complaints with the current setup but if I switch I can save over $400.00 with a 2 year contract.
With the current Hopper system setup we can have 3 TV's showing live tv or pre-recorded shows (on either Hopper), and could be recording 3 shows on each Hopper at the same time. Each Hopper has a 2Tb hard drive and a 1 Tb external USB hard drive, so we can also watch shows recorded on the external hard drives. We normally have 3 tv's in use daily.

Can Genie WholeHome HD DVR accomplish the same thing?

In short, No

2 hoppers have more tuners.

With the HR44 and 3 C31's you can do 4 rooms watch live TV and record 1 thing ONLY at the same Time. Or you can record 5 things and watch 4 recordings. You have 5 tuners You do the math! C31's use the HR44'sTuners
The Hard drive is 1 TB so Half of the Hopper.

You have a better system currently with DISH.

Sorry Directv Guys but I can't lie LOL!

Comparing the two systems is a bit daunting because how well the comparison works depends a lot on what you watch/record.

If you use PTAT on the Hopper, then making the Genie with dumb clients fit would be more difficult because during primetime you could be effectively using 9 tuners at once. OTOH, if broadcast isn't an issue, then it might work.

Frankly if I were looking at it I would want an HR34/44 and either Hxx (receivers only) or HRxx (HDDVRs) as clients. Much more flexible and would be better than the 2 Hopper/2 Joey setup you have now, especially with either receivers/dvrs only, or a mix of them. Those as clients wouldn't use a tuner on the HR34/44 for live viewing.

The problem with trying to get Hxx or HRxx models with the Genie is the upfront cost which would eat into the potential savings.

The HR44 isn't available yet. I heard the end of April.

I called to upgrade my HR24/H25 to Genie/client this morning. I was told twice (and I asked for verification) that I could get either an HR34/HR44. I did not ask about it, he mentioned it himself. Even the person who verified at the end said Genie HR34 or HR44 receiver. I fully expect an HR34.

I'd go with an HR44 and an HR24 then 3 clients. That way you are gaining an extra tuner that you didn't have before.

If I go with the HR44 and HR24 and 3 clients will the clients be able to access the recordings on either the HR44 or HR24?
We seldon look at live tv, usually the 3 of us will be watching 3 different or sometimes the same recordings.
How many shows can we record at the same time if we are watching 3 recordings?
I am so confused!

If I go with the HR44 and HR24 and 3 clients will the clients be able to access the recordings on either the HR44 or HR24?
We seldon look at live tv, usually the 3 of us will be watching 3 different or sometimes the same recordings.
How many shows can we record at the same time if we are watching 3 recordings?
I am so confused!
Don't know if you can access HR24 recordings off C31. They claim there was a software fix in the works, but have not heard anything confirming.
But the HR 24 and 34/44 can access each others recordings

Now if you go with HR34/44 and 3 clients and all 4 rooms are watching a previously recorded content, then you can record 5 things at the same time.. But the Miniute you go live TV you will have to stop recording 1 thing to watch Live tv.
C31's don't have Tuners. Just like Joeys.

So like myself and others Have stated.
I have HR34,HR23, and 2 H25s.
That gives me 9 Tuners, So I can record max of 7 things, and Still watch Live tv in the 2 Bedrooms wth the H25's.
Or I can watch Live TV in all 4 rooms and record in all 4 rooms and still have 1 tuner left if I chose to record 1 more thing. No conflicts in my house:)

But this is going to cost you now bigtime upfront.
HR34 and 3 C31's are now free.
When I got Mine, H25's were the 3 free ones.
Less DVR function, But IMHO H25's are the better function.

But the downfalls, Are the Rooms with the H25's they don't Pause or rewind Live Tv. Only recorded content. So you must PRESS Record at the begining of the show if you want to rewind, cause the H25 are not DVRs. The C31 are full DVRs that work off HR34. , Not a Big deal to me.
The H25's will not do VOD either. It will play back, but you have to set VOD from one of the HR's

Last edited:
My guess is the newest promotion with offering NFL and mlb for new customers is to clear the hr34 inventory in anticipation for the new HR44 right? They have never offered this combined package correct? Or is it possible new customers are signing up a slower rates now...and they are trying to jump start subscriptions. Either way they will stop making HR34 correct why would they need both esp if new one is cheaper to make and more functions. U can't compare to hr24 etc as those are standalone machines.

I called to upgrade my HR24/H25 to Genie/client this morning. I was told twice (and I asked for verification) that I could get either an HR34/HR44. I did not ask about it, he mentioned it himself. Even the person who verified at the end said Genie HR34 or HR44 receiver. I fully expect an HR34.
keep the hr24 and just add the genie, you will have a better setup

i do not like clients, whether its ina genie or a hopper. using a tuner from the main unit is not optimal
at the least get the genie and hXX as was said before

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)