Status
Please reply by conversation.

leifkenn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Colorado
Hello,
I had a question for all you excellent people.
I have acquired a 3 lnb oval dish and was thinking on replacing my existing 2 lnb round dish with it.

My question is this .
Can I reuse the 2 cables that come from the existing dish and also reuse the existing switch.
I really do not want to run 2 more 60 ft runs of cable to the dish.

Thanks

Is it the phase 3 dish or a slimline? which switch do you have? What are you trying to accomplish? HD has moved to different satellites so you'll need the slimline if you're hoping to get HD

Is it the phase 3 dish or a slimline? which switch do you have? What are you trying to accomplish? HD has moved to different satellites so you'll need the slimline if you're hoping to get HD

It is a slim line dish.
I have an older dish that I am thinking may be having some issue as far as signal strength.
So i thought I may just replace it with the new dish.
The thing is that my house has got 2 coax cables running to it from the old dish and I did not want to add anymore runs going into the house.
I have an Eagle aspen 4x8 multiswitch that I was planning on using.

Your existing switch will NOT work if you want to do HD w/the slimline.
Also, you ARE aware that the slimline needs a 2" OD pipe to sit on, while your existing dish uses 1 5/8" OD pipe, so you would have to change the mounting pipe your existing dish sits on now.
Again as everyone has told you, if you are NOT wanting HD or Spanish channels, all you are really doing is going thru a lot of time/trouble for nothing.
If you think it's signal strength, maybe you existing dish just needs a small realignment.

I would very very very very strongly suggest you don't try to do this install. First of all, the only thing you gain with a slimline dish is HD. If you don't have HD equipment it's a waste. Your existing switch will NOT work. Your existing mounting pole will NOT work. The slimline is much more difficult to install than the 18" or even the phase 3 dish. If you want to upgrade to HD then call DirecTV, there is a good chance they'll do it for free.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

change location

Self instillation guidance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)