Channel 996 is a go!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, I don't know what the hell D* thinks they are doing with this channel, but they REALLY need to get their act together... :rolleyes:

On all my receivers, which are in the Chicago DMA, as well as a receiver that I am testing that is in the St.Louis DMA, they ALL have 996 listed in the guide as GMC, BUT the listings are for Telemundo programming!!! When you try to select the channel, you get the "channel not available in your area" message - what a mess!!! :rolleyes: This was all around 11PM last nigth that I noticed this.

Anyone else seeing this???

dishrich said:
Well, I don't know what the hell D* thinks they are doing with this channel, but they REALLY need to get their act together... :rolleyes:

On all my receivers, which are in the Chicago DMA, as well as a receiver that I am testing that is in the St.Louis DMA, they ALL have 996 listed in the guide as GMC, BUT the listings are for Telemundo programming!!! When you try to select the channel, you get the "channel not available in your area" message - what a mess!!! :rolleyes: This was all around 11PM last nigth that I noticed this.

Anyone else seeing this???

Since you asked,

I'm in Florida, and 996 is GMC, also with the message: 'Channel not available in your area', it's obviously spanish (the show on it now is called, 'Amores de Mercado'), and looks more like a ParaTodos channel.

damaged said:
it's obviously spanish (the show on it now is called, 'Amores de Mercado'), and looks more like a ParaTodos channel.

Well, Telemundo IS a spanish channel, & it IS part of the ParaTodos packages, as well as being a local channel in several markets.

Last night, I paged through the guide to see if I could tell which it is. I found a show called "noticeros 47", which is a local newscast on one of the local off-air's. Telemundo has a local channel 47 affiliate in NY & in Houston, so it's probably one of those 2 channels.

Of course, it STILL doesn't explain why these listings would be coming up on GMC... :confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

On my Tivo "Grid Guide", the banner info is "Houston KTMD 47 Telemundo". The description says "Gospel Music Channel. Soul, rock, pop, country, traditional - it's all gospel!"

Ch 996 shows as GMC, but the programming on guide is Telemundo from Houston. Either way, the channel indicates programming not available in your area.

You should be looking down in the local channel range(2-69) and see if there is a GMC listed there. Many have seen it on channel 15. A listing on 996 would likely be for a series D or older receiver and may not work correctly on Series E and later receivers.

JohnH said:
You should be looking down in the local channel range(2-69) and see if there is a GMC listed there. Many have seen it on channel 15. A listing on 996 would likely be for a series D or older receiver and may not work correctly on Series E and later receivers.

I did & it's NOT on ANY of my receivers, on either the Chicago or St.Louis local packages. ALL of my receivers are either SII D-Tivo's or H series Hughes. ;)

Well, I understand the concept behind how satellites only cover a certain "footprint." However, I keep seeing people reference something called "Spotbeaming" that evidently lets DirecTV send a signal only to a certain geographic location. See, I figure all the data coming from a DirecTV satellite is the same, and its just our sub on the smartcard that lets it know what to decode and for what area.

Optical Serenity said:
Well, I understand the concept behind how satellites only cover a certain "footprint." However, I keep seeing people reference something called "Spotbeaming" that evidently lets DirecTV send a signal only to a certain geographic location. See, I figure all the data coming from a DirecTV satellite is the same, and its just our sub on the smartcard that lets it know what to decode and for what area.

The (tighter smaller wrt to spotbeams, hence the word 'spot') footprint is the area covered by a spotbeam, those spotbeams carry programming specific to those spotbeams and the areas the footprint of the spotbeam covers, and so spotbeamed streams are NOT carried on the other D* streams.

Each transponder can carry its own programming, the national beams have a huge footprint, while (usually local in locals) spotbeams have their beams tightened into a smaller footprint.

Last edited:
Optical Serenity said:
Is it on specific D* satellites or all?

The word 'all' covers alot, all I do know for sure, is that it applies with D* and E*, as for the rest of the satellites out there?, I would imagine it depends on their intended use, and what functionality was built-in to them pre-launch.

Seems to be in a very few select markets.

Austin (Ch 15)
Dallas (Ch 15)
Denver (Ch 15)
Jacksonville (Ch 15)
Kansas City (Ch 15)
Minneapolis (Ch 15)
Orlando (Ch 14)
Paducah (Ch 15)
Philadelphia (Ch 15)
San Antonio (Ch 15)

No great loss to me anyway though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)