Channel line up

gittist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Two questions here:

1. Where can I download a list of Americas Top 250 that I can print out in either channel number sequence, or station sequence that is applicable to my area?

2. "My Channels" on the remote are not my channels. If I click on a channel and it wants $, it's not one of my channels. Is there an option somewhere on the remote that will show a program guide that will only show the channels that I can watch without paying more?

I realize I can make a favorites list but that's a PITA sitting down with a pencil and paper and flipping through channels to find out which ones I can actually watch.

Thanks

The ones you're talking about money... Are they pay per view and VOD? Those will show up in any list.

He must to looking at ALL Channels to get the "subscribe" alert.

Repeatedly pressing the "GUIDE" button should cycle through a few different channel list "filters". One of them will only show the channels you pay for. This works as far back as a 522 receiver (~2005).

Also Top250 list is applicable to any area in the Continental U.S. ,PA or CT or FL all the same. What is different is the local channels and local RSN(s), neither of which will be on the list.

Don't make a list of channels you want to watch. Your question was finding a list of channels you receive that you you don't have pay more for. Make a favorite list of that, one time and done.
With just a little more effort you can make another list of channels you generally watch, making scrolling through them faster.

2. "My Channels" on the remote are not my channels. If I click on a channel and it wants $, it's not one of my channels. Is there an option somewhere on the remote that will show a program guide that will only show the channels that I can watch without paying more?
I have been wanting that feature for a long time. I agree, PPV and VOD are not "My Channels."
Don't make a list of channels you want to watch. Your question was finding a list of channels you receive that you you don't have pay more for. Make a favorite list of that, one time and done.
The problem with using a favorite list is that I might miss out on newly added or free preview channels, so it would be nice if the My Channels list only listed the channels I can actually receive, and filtered out the PPV / VOD.

It's easy to block the VOD and PPV channels. I block channel 1 but not 501 because we have on occasion rented one. On the other hand, we have no need to go that high in the channel range except for Big 10 Network (which isn't very often).

I have never been a fan of creating a "favorite" list myself.

Reactions: pattykay
I have been wanting that feature for a long time. I agree, PPV and VOD are not "My Channels."

The problem with using a favorite list is that I might miss out on newly added or free preview channels, so it would be nice if the My Channels list only listed the channels I can actually receive, and filtered out the PPV / VOD.
Why not just set parental locks to lock and hide PPV and VOD channels? Can do the same with the adult channels.

It's easy to block the VOD and PPV channels. I block channel 1 but not 501 because we have on occasion rented one. On the other hand, we have no need to go that high in the channel range except for Big 10 Network (which isn't very often).

I have never been a fan of creating a "favorite" list myself.
I do appreciate that channel 1 automatically gets skipped when I am flipping through the channels. Several years ago, it didn't used to be that way. I prefer to start with the local channels and go backwards from there, since most of the HD channels are on four-digit channel numbers. It was a pain having to flip through all those channel 1's, so I am glad Dish fixed that part. I prefer to leave channel 501 unlocked because Dish does occasionally put some free events on those channels. It would just be nice if only the free events were listed, skipping the ones that cost money.

I do appreciate that channel 1 automatically gets skipped when I am flipping through the channels. Several years ago, it didn't used to be that way. I prefer to start with the local channels and go backwards from there, since most of the HD channels are on four-digit channel numbers. It was a pain having to flip through all those channel 1's, so I am glad Dish fixed that part. I prefer to leave channel 501 unlocked because Dish does occasionally put some free events on those channels. It would just be nice if only the free events were listed, skipping the ones that cost money.
In the short small term, that would be a terrible marketing plan though. Can't sell something people don't see. The way I see the VOD and PPV channels is like the candy at the register at a 7/11. You know you don't want it, and 7/10 people will ignore it, but those 3/10 that buy it is 30% more than would have otherwise. It's a good marketing move on their part. Give enough choice to block it out entirely, using "parental locks", or have them available for temptation.

Reactions: KAB

No, normally you will not miss those. With the exception of the newly added HD outdoor channel (For unknown reason) I always see new added channels or channels added in HD in my favorites list. I have a list of just about all the channels I receive, only the HD version if available, no VOD etc...
When Cinemax, Starz or Showtime is in freeview it shows up in my favorite list. (I have HBO) When FIDO was added it showed up. Honestly, you're trying too hard to find reasons not to do what the receiver is designed to do. Even at that, if you come here once in awhile you are likely to see added channels anyway and even when they added automatically how likely are to see them for awhile unless you come here?

I'm guessing because you have not set it up.
Add them when they are in freeview to the list. After freeview ends some no longer show in the guide and those will only show when in freeview again. Those that still show up in green or red don't include, they will then not show in the list but they will next time they are in freeview. Showtime is an example of that, it goes to green after freeview, I then deleted it from the list and now shows each time it comes back to viewable. (Freeview) From then on they will show and not show when freeview starts and stops. Many new channels use a previously used channel number those will definitely show if that channel number was in the list when it went away. It is possible the only thing not to show up could be new channel number never in your list. However, one channel I know showed up when the channel number was never in my list was Reelz when it was added as new channel. The FIDO channel may or may not be using a channel number previously used, either way that is an example of a new channel that showed up in my list.

I'm guessing because you have not set it up.
Add them when they are in freeview to the list. After freeview ends some no longer show in the guide and those will only show when in freeview again. Those that still show up in green or red don't include, they will then not show in the list but they will next time they are in freeview. Showtime is an example of that, it goes to green after freeview, I then deleted it from the list and now shows each time it comes back to viewable. (Freeview) From then on they will show and not show when freeview starts and stops. Many new channels use a previously used channel number those will definitely show if that channel number was in the list when it went away. It is possible the only thing not to show up could be new channel number never in your list. However, one channel I know showed up when the channel number was never in my list was Reelz when it was added as new channel. The FIDO channel may or may not be using a channel number previously used, either way that is an example of a new channel that showed up in my list.
Well, of course new channels will show up if you previously had every channel in your favorites list. I prefer not to leave channels in my list that I am not actually receiving. :rollingeyes

Didn't you used to subscribe to All American Direct? FIDO is in their old channel range.

Why not just set parental locks to lock and hide PPV and VOD channels? Can do the same with the adult channels.
Correct me if I am wrong, but if you block channels from view, it removes them from all of the lists, correct? I do not mind having the PPV and VOD in the All Channels list. That is where I expect to find them, and I like to see the list of all of the channels and options that are available, whether I subscribe to them or not. However, when Dish created a list called "My Channels" (originally called "All Sub") it should not have included channels that are not part of your subscription. Period.

In the short small term, that would be a terrible marketing plan though. Can't sell something people don't see. The way I see the VOD and PPV channels is like the candy at the register at a 7/11. You know you don't want it, and 7/10 people will ignore it, but those 3/10 that buy it is 30% more than would have otherwise. It's a good marketing move on their part. Give enough choice to block it out entirely, using "parental locks", or have them available for temptation.
I did think about that. Part of the problem, in my opinion, is that the guide defaults to My Channels. (If you are on All Channels and exit the guide, the next time you go into the guide, it will be on My Channels. The only way to prevent the receiver from defaulting to My Channels is to use a custom favorites list.) I would suggest that Dish should change the guide to default to All Channels like it originally did before Dish changed the default. Then, Dish could remove the PPV and VOD channels from the My Channels list and put them in a separate "All PPV" list that would come up in-between All Channels and My Channels when you cycle through the guides. That way, Dish could keep the PPV and VOD channels in front of our eyeballs, however briefly, while we cycle through the program guides, without cluttering up the My Channels list with a lot of channels that we don't receive as part of our subscription.

The year they changed that default, they saved $1.2 million on tech calls for 005, and other authorization messages. That was the purpose behind changing the default and why we will likely never see that again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)