Channel Master orthomode feed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mjac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
FL/TN
It came with my newly acquired dish and I plan to use it but I have a question about the feed condition. Upon closer inspection the insides are fairly corroded. The probes themselves are in good shape probably because they are a different metal but from the front down to the first probe is the worst. I managed to get the two wasps nest cleaned out but I am concerned about the corrosion. I found no cover on the feed and have no idea how long it was uncovered.
Keep it, use it as is, clean it till its shiny, what say ye?
Sorry, no pics.
Btw, I have only read about the "gold rings" that where used on Chaparral feeds. This one has a gold ring.

I saw the feed in your dish thread, and know what you mean.
From what little I could see, it appeared to be quite similar to a Chaparral I have.
(maybe they OEM'd it back in the day?)
Anyway, mine is mildly corroded too, but I hadn't gotten around to posting pictures nor looking for help.

Some time back, TruckRacer posted a discussion about cleaning the inside surface of a dual-band ortho, due to corrosion.
Maybe we can get him to discuss how that worked and if the problem has returned.
Did he use a coating for future protection?

Also, it looked like your scalar was pretty bad.
Might be a good place to practice on first. (?)

If we knew what metal they were cast from, perhaps there is a metal-specific treatment we could apply.
I'd always assumed aluminum in the past.
You'd think two companies like Chaparral and Channel Master would make reliable products.
The fact these both deteriorated as they have, suggests poor planning on both their parts.
Any reason aluminum scalar and feed parts couldn't be anodized?
Wouldn't that stand the test of time?

I look forward to any good advice that comes of this thread. :up

Yeah, the scaler is kind of rough, I am hoping it too is salvageable. It has two set screws in it and it is calibrated. The setting corresponds to the lat where it came from. I thought that was interesting.
Based on conversation with the owner, his dad had it put up in the early 80's, so that puts it around 25+ years old. It was free so I can't complain about something that old anyway. :)

I got an NOS Cal Amp LNB on eBay. When I received it, it had a lot of white corrosion inside the waveguide. I just took a little sandpaper and rags and cleaned it out...works great.

I saw the feed in your dish thread, and know what you mean.
From what little I could see, it appeared to be quite similar to a Chaparral I have.
(maybe they OEM'd it back in the day?)
Anyway, mine is mildly corroded too, but I hadn't gotten around to posting pictures nor looking for help.

Some time back, TruckRacer posted a discussion about cleaning the inside surface of a dual-band ortho, due to corrosion.
Maybe we can get him to discuss how that worked and if the problem has returned.
Did he use a coating for future protection?

Also, it looked like your scalar was pretty bad.
Might be a good place to practice on first. (?)

If we knew what metal they were cast from, perhaps there is a metal-specific treatment we could apply.
I'd always assumed aluminum in the past.
You'd think two companies like Chaparral and Channel Master would make reliable products.
The fact these both deteriorated as they have, suggests poor planning on both their parts.
Any reason aluminum scalar and feed parts couldn't be anodized?
Wouldn't that stand the test of time?

I look forward to any good advice that comes of this thread. :up

Your right Anole. I found after spending 30 minutes or so of quality clean up time with the feed, it has in addition to the Channel Master branding, Chaparral is clearly cast on it. I have a ways to go but I think it will clean up quite nicely. I am thinking a spray of clear coat can't hurt either.

Btw, I found TruckRacer's post re: clean up. :) He mentioned getting in there with a Dremel (I am going to try that) but no mention of applying a coating. :(

I found this cleaning advice on another forum.

Here is a simple an easy trick to remove corrosion from that scalar ring or any aluminum item, an you will be shocked how well it will work. 1st clean it with soap an water, then get a small bucket an set scalar ring in it, then go to a home improvement or hardware store, an get some phosphoric acid, then just pour in the bucket to cover the scalar, let it sit for 1 hour take it out an wash with soap an water, should be clean, if not try same thing again but at 15 minutes at a time.
I am wondering if I can also use this cleaning method on the feed horn? Minus the LNB's of course. My concern is the probe and the clearish plastic that covers it.

Mjack,
PB Blaster is your friend. Soak a rag with it and wipe down the inside of the feed. Do this a couple of times and all corrosion will be gone without risking the acid eating the feed.

Mjac,
PB Blaster is your friend. Soak a rag with it and wipe down the inside of the feed. Do this a couple of times and all corrosion will be gone without risking the acid eating the feed.

Thanks Nick. I'll give that a try. I wasn't so keen on the acid stuff anyhow.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)