Official 4DTV Conversion to W5/X4 services only infornmation post

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvropro

On Vacation
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
Here you will find all the information posted regarding the official conversion for the 4DTV to X4 for 2011.

On January 4th 2011 the Motorola 4096 EMM data stream will be shut down. To continue with programming from SRL or Skyvision you will have to convert to the Comcast HITS 4160 EMM data stream.

All 4DTV models will accept the EMM provider update 922, 905, 920. The contracts have been signed for programming and a plan is in place.

There is currently a problem with the current conversion plan which will render your 4DTV as a one satellite X4 non movable receiver (like a 410). There are a few of us testing to resolve this.

Testing is currently going on in regards to see if the units can be converted without loosing all satellites so you can still move your dish 920/922. At this point testing shows there is hope as far as channel maps and satellite tiles go. I'm part of the testing program and will post what I can as it comes out and approved for public release here.

I can't say anything else about the nitty gritty even in a PM so don't PM me about this. You have to remember there are many variables and legal hurdles as far as information goes with Motorola etc about any information released, so there is red tape. Even if a fix is in place now the political BS has to clear too.

The best advice I can give is relax, check back here and ride the tide out. Don't toss your 4D or condemn it to a brick yet if you want to retain it's functionality as an IRD.

A few of us are going beyond the call of duty to see that the 4DTV users will be able to enjoy their receivers for years to come.

Last edited:
I'd like to echo what tvropro has said. "Don't toss your 4D or condemn it to a brick yet if you want to retain it's functionality as an IRD."

There is a lot of politics involved and people's toes can't be stepped on. There has been a lot of behind the scenes work done on the conversion process.

All I want to say is that I personally recommend that people NOT follow the "7 step" process on January 4/5. Please be patient and come to SatelliteGuys on that date and keep your eyes open for a set of revised instructions developed by some of us true C-Banders. I am quite confident that we have an excellent chance of keeping our systems fully functional. I think that a lot of un-necessary panic has been stirred up lately with the SRL email, but yet again, it has put out the word that the 7 Step process is something that true C-Bander's don't necessarily want to follow.

Hold tight guys.. I think that the Post January 4 world isn't going to be as bad as everybody fears.. Just DO NOT do the 7 step process, as it WILL cause your receiver to become a glorified cable box, and there will be no converting it back, (at least not right away).

I'd like to echo what tvropro has said. "Don't toss your 4D or condemn it to a brick yet if you want to retain it's functionality as an IRD."

There is a lot of politics involved and people's toes can't be stepped on. There has been a lot of behind the scenes work done on the conversion process.

All I want to say is that I personally recommend that people NOT follow the "7 step" process on January 4/5. Please be patient and come to SatelliteGuys on that date and keep your eyes open for a set of revised instructions developed by some of us true C-Banders. I am quite confident that we have an excellent chance of keeping our systems fully functional. I think that a lot of un-necessary panic has been stirred up lately with the SRL email, but yet again, it has put out the word that the 7 Step process is something that true C-Bander's don't necessarily want to follow.

Hold tight guys.. I think that the Post January 4 world isn't going to be as bad as everybody fears.. Just DO NOT do the 7 step process, as it WILL cause your receiver to become a glorified cable box, and there will be no converting it back, (at least not right away).

Thank's for reinforcing this and adding fellow tester ;) The Sky is not falling :)

Thanks at least there is a glimmer of hope now.:up

I wish I could say more but I'm sworn to secrecy. Let's just say there is more than a glimmer of hope. ;) Just follow Davage's advice to not do the 7 step list SRL sends out because if you do there's no going back after 1/4. Wait for the official go ahead that we will post here to what to follow. You may have to forgo your subs for a few days but it will be worth it in the end.

I wish I could say more but I'm sworn to secrecy...

Actually, just saying that much is enough. Most will understand that things have to be tested before any announcements are made. Also, it's completely understandable that politics are in play & must be handled "just right".

Also, I agree with Davage's statement that "but yet again, it has put out the word that the 7 Step process is something that true C-Bander's don't necessarily want to follow". I never really thought that people were panicing or freaking out, rather just stating our positions. Had we been silent, the concern may have never been addressed.

In any event, the on-going efforts are appreciated... no matter how it turns out.

Cheers

I wish I could say more but I'm sworn to secrecy. Let's just say there is more than a glimmer of hope. ;) Just follow Davage's advice to not do the 7 step list SRL sends out because if you do there's no going back after 1/4. Wait for the official go ahead that we will post here to what to follow. You may have to forgo your subs for a few days but it will be worth it in the end.

Your and Davage's reassurance are enough for me. I had no intention of following the 7 step procedure nor was I going to cancel my subscription. I intended to shut off the 922 until the dust had settled and then decide if I wanted to find another 4DTV box for my subscriptions or just cancel them.

Thanks again.

Important Do this now for next year

Sneak Preview :eek:

If you don't have X4's new map programmed in go get it now. This can be done by going to W5-600 and sitting there for a bit. You will see an increase in channel count. Then program it in at W5's position. The tile will sit left of W5. (see pictures) When done check the DMX channels and make sure they are working. There are more steps but they can't be released yet.

This needs to be in your receiver for next year for the conversion so go get it if its not in your 4D.

Attachments

• TILES.jpg
    TILES.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 901
  • CHS.jpg
    CHS.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 890
4782 after an accidental "master reset" intended for my DSR 410. Sounds like all the available "stuff" is downloaded now before retiring the 4D and taking it offline?

If you want to keep all your satellite tiles as is you have to get them now on G1-3 once 1/4 rolls around they will be gone and probably never seen to that extent again except using 4play.

Channel count numbers will vary since some 4D's have older maps which actually give you more stuff, like mine 4809 :) I refuse to do A MR, I figure the more channels the better. The latest G1-3 Motorola maps are leaner. Too bad we can't archive these maps someplace.

I have been sitting on W5 600 for about a 1/2 hour with my 920. My channel count is sitting at 5030. Tried to get X1 after unplugging receiver and plugging back in. Do I have to do an MR, I am not at 1920 yet sitting at 1714 so I should have lots on room left.

A point worth noting. If you go down to G1 to get the guide info, you may find that your number of channels may go back down, but when you go back to W5 the # of channels may go back up again. There are 2 streams up there mapping in the channels - on G1 and on W5. I've intentionally avoided G1 for the past week, just to keep my receiver from taking any updates from the G1 bird. At this point, I don't know if I need to go as far as recommending to people that they avoid G1 or not. I think that likely after January 1, it might be good to error on the side of caution and avoid G1, just in case Motorola makes any mapping changes that might end up clearing out channel maps.

I have been sitting on W5 600 for about a 1/2 hour with my 920. My channel count is sitting at 5030. Tried to get X1 after unplugging receiver and plugging back in. Do I have to do an MR, I am not at 1920 yet sitting at 1714 so I should have lots on room left.

I'm not sure which of the HITS transponders contains the mapping info. 99.9% of the time, when I'm on the W5 bird, I'm either on VH1 Classic W5-804, for my viewing or Nick Jr W5-605 for the kids. My receiver has taken updates while tuned into one those channels.

I now have X4 in, channel count is at 5064. All DMX radio are working and my subs are also working, guide is a little scrabbled but all else is working. Should I quit doing the 2 AM G1 download now or just leave things as is? thanks for all the help.

A point worth noting. If you go down to G1 to get the guide info, you may find that your number of channels may go back down, but when you go back to W5 the # of channels may go back up again. There are 2 streams up there mapping in the channels - on G1 and on W5. I've intentionally avoided G1 for the past week, just to keep my receiver from taking any updates from the G1 bird. At this point, I don't know if I need to go as far as recommending to people that they avoid G1 or not. I think that likely after January 1, it might be good to error on the side of caution and avoid G1, just in case Motorola makes any mapping changes that might end up clearing out channel maps.

I have gone to G1 a few times this past week to update my guide and then back to W5 for readjustment of X4. I have had no ill effects so far. As the time narrows down and especially on and after NPS has Motorola do a massive kill on 12/26 for their subs, I think it's best to stay away from that point on.

Once our EMM provider gets swapped if you think about it Motorola could actually still transmit channel maps on any bird. Think of how you can go to F1R and get *choice's maps even without the 4128 EMM. If they decided to mess with us they could still do damage after the shutdown. Lets hope when they pull the plug on 4096 it's totally pulled as far as any consumer data.

Anyone needing a Master Reset (high TDT etc) should do it ASAP to avoid any problems as time gets short. What's here today may not be there tomorrow. After the MR go to W5 load in X4 and wait till further instructions are released here for next year.

I'm not sure which of the HITS transponders contains the mapping info. 99.9% of the time, when I'm on the W5 bird, I'm either on VH1 Classic W5-804, for my viewing or Nick Jr W5-605 for the kids. My receiver has taken updates while tuned into one those channels.

I think it's active on many.

Sneak Preview :eek:

If you don't have X4's new map programmed in go get it now. This can be done by going to W5-600 and sitting there for a bit. You will see an increase in channel count. Then program it in at W5's position. The tile will sit left of W5. (see pictures) When done check the DMX channels and make sure they are working. There are more steps but they can't be released yet.

This needs to be in your receiver for next year for the conversion so go get it if its not in your 4D.

I think I'm picking up a different X4. It's showing up to the right of W5 instead of the left like you said and my channel count is only 4782 and my X4 DMX is in the 900's and I do not get the 820 shown in your pic. (DSR-922).

I can only go by what my 922 shows. Some are getting the 410 channel numbers some are getting the 4DTV channel numbers. I think it has to do if you had the original old ku X4 map in the DSR or not, mine did. I don't think that will be an issue next year except for channel numbers. I kinda like having the 4DTV numbers since I'm more familiar with them.

I think there will be variables but as long as we can subscribe that shouldn't be an issue. From our testing it looks like the guide will not work if you retain all functionality. If you need that to work it looks like the 4D needs to be a X4 brick. (I think I'm saying too much for now)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts