Channel Numbers

On the "Eastern Arc" when a HD version of a local is available they dont carry the SD version..I suspect they will eventually do the same thing with the rest of the HD channels thus eliminating the need for a channel in the 9000 range

I would bet they would do it now if they could. After all, all the receivers on EA are MPEG-4 HD receivers. But, I suspect they are contractually required to carry the SD version of the channels (and as in the case of Disney pay for both the SD and HD version). Until the programming providers modernize and stop forcing the SD version, I suspect the duplicate channels will be with us for a long time.

and they do, show HD channels only. Just click menu until you get to HD channels......

The only option I've seen for HD preference is for locals. Is there one to hide all SD dups??

Actually I meant to say click "GUIDE", not menu. You can click guide to show as List: All Channels, All Sub, All HD, and any Favorites that you might have set up. If you have the list at All HD, you will see nothing but the HD channels. Yes, that includes the mapped down as well as the actual channels. I have set several Favorites on my guide, channels that I watch all the time, sports, movies, and weekly series channels, the last of which I may wan t to see what is coming up only on those channels.

Actually I meant to say click "GUIDE", not menu. You can click guide to show as List: All Channels, All Sub, All HD, and any Favorites that you might have set up. If you have the list at All HD, you will see nothing but the HD channels. Yes, that includes the mapped down as well as the actual channels. I have set several Favorites on my guide, channels that I watch all the time, sports, movies, and weekly series channels, the last of which I may wan t to see what is coming up only on those channels.
But, by using the "All HD" guide you lose SD-only channels like ABC Family or ESPNU for example...

What I don't like about the channel number assignments is that not all of the HD channels are in the 9000 range. Some HD channels are only in the high 200's, like Epix. I like to flip through the program guide using the 9000's to see what I'd like to watch. It really irks me that I then have to jump to the high 200's to complete my program guide search for programming. Also, Dish used to brag about grouping channels of like interest together via adjacent channel numbers. Seems like they've abandoned that concept.

There needs to be an easy way to only have the hd channels in the lower channel range PERIOD. This is the way DIRECTV does it and it worked fine . If there is an hd version ,there is no sd version . That hd channel takes the place of the sd channel number and the sd channel is deleted. Makes your guide much cleaner and easier to remember which channel it is. Who likes using 9000 numbers for hd anyway?

I have HD Absolute and I have all the upper channel HD Duplicates locked out and hidden.

That way when Dish adds a channel it automatically shows up in my guide maybe in 2 places, so I just go in and lock and hide the upper channel.

I have no channels in my guide above 403 except for locals which could be mapped down to their virtual channel number but I like to keep them in the 7000 range so they do not clutter up my OTA locals below 53.

This method also allows free previews to come and go with no change in Favorites or anything.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)