Channels on new Satellite

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

apkehler

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Lancaster, PA
So I have determined that I will still be able to receive 82, but not the new 91 satellite. I am in the process of procuring an HD receiver in order to accommodate this. What I'm wondering is, what are the odds that Bell will start moving HD channels from 82 to the new 91? They put up this brand new satellite, so it doesn't seem plausible to me that they would do that just to leave all the old non-HD channels on there. If they plan on moving a bunch of channels over there, I may be wasting my time by purchasing an HD receiver.

Any guesses?

Bell's plans are anyone's guess. You could probably have 91 restored by adding a separate 36-inch antenna---maybe as little as a 30 inch, but bigger is better when trying to provide some fade margin for bad weather.
But by the time you even spend the money on a Bell receiver alone, it would make a lot more sense to switch to Shaw Direct and get their basic DSR-600 HD receiver with a 75-E antenna and Xtended Ku LNBF. This will provide much better picture quality than Bell can ever deliver. You're right on the margins for coverage of Anik G1 with this same antenna---I am guessing that it will probably work. Even if it doesn't, you will still have more channels with this system with Anik F1R and F2 than you would with either 82 alone or 82 and 91 from Bell, once Shaw adds more MPEG-4 signals when they complete their transition about January or February.

Thanks for the feedback Mike. I've actually already determined that I can't get signal from 91 on a 1m dish. I wouldn't mind switching to Shaw except for one reason: Jets channel! Guess I'll just have to go with my 82W and reassess if/when they start moving channels.

Shaw Direct has TSN Jets

from the shawdirect site
Jets on TSN$10.10
Only available in the Winnipeg Jets viewing region (Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Northwestern Ontario)

Hi Guys; I have the 9200 Bell rcvr....I lost all the tr's on 91 with the 24" dish-so I took the 30" winegard which works good on 82 sat and on 91 half the trs are missing-so I bot the 36" from wsi-now it came with the 40mm mount and so trying to retrofit the lnb-so far I have poorer signal than that 30"
so I'll keep at it-but Wednesday-channel (734 or 743 not sure which)comes on momentarily-exchange receiver message and now no channels-so the next question do we have to return the 9200 (purchased not leased) to Bell for the new 9241? All input is appreciated. (in 19114 zip)

Yes the 9200 is being replaced by Bell TV free of charge for a 9241. Call them get a replacement asap.

Bell are replacing all MPEG2 HD Receivers, the 9200 & 6100 models.

Going to call them this week-do you know if they require us to ship back the 9200 that was purchased?

No, the 9200 is now yours to do what you like with. You can still use the OTA Tuner, if you leave it connected to 91, or you can remove the Hard Drive and save it as a replacement for the 9241.

Hi All...Yes called for the replacement-and yes they don't want the 9200 returned...and will save the hard drive too! Tnx...

So, when we called about the new receiver-the csr-mentioned we'll be losing the channels on the 9200 soon to which we said we lost them on the 15th-well she reset the box and we get all the HD's and I'm still having the low signal on 91 deg. Is there some common cause (other than low signal) that the only tr's getting a reading are 4,8,12,16,20,28 and 32. The others are zero-and the check switch shows "red x" and says all odd trs missing? Have any of the missing tr's been changed to the new mpeg4?. I'm hoping I can get this 36" dish to work better once I get the new receiver...

Alright, I'm going to try to stick with Bell. So I got a 9241 receiver, set it up with a DPP twin LNB and separator. I'm getting signal from 82W on both inputs when I run a check switch (per my previous posts, 91W is not an option). However, when it goes to download information, all I get is "Acquiring Satellite...". Left it at that screen for 30+ minutes with no change. Any ideas?

An update. My satellite guy was here today trying things out. The strange thing is that he gets the dish pointed, it shows up on the "point dish" screen as 82W, but then when I run a check switch, the satellite shows up as 72W or 77W. Literally, I ran check switch once and it showed 72, then without changing anything, ran another check switch and it showed as 77. Has anyone seen this before? It's getting frustrating. I should be able to just have 82W without 91W shouldn't I?

Sounds to me like your Dish is not aimed correctly.

Try aiming with a Legacy LNBF in the 82 slot of the "Y" yolk. When you get that peaked (Don't forget to set the skew first), add the DPP Twin and then run the Check Switch.

Yes but not all Transponders will show on a SD Receiver aimed at 82, so aim at 91 with the LNBF in the 91 slot of the "Y" yolk. Then use TP's 1 & 32, I am pretty sure they work on the SD box.

Still having issues and getting a little frustrated. I have some questions regarding getting my BellTV working in the US now that I'm outside the 91W footprint.

First, my setup:
Standard 20" dish
DPP LNB (have also tried the Dish LNB)
9241 Receiver

Locked onto 82W at ~50% signal on most transponders. When I go to the next screen it sits at "Acquiring Satellite.." and does not progress.

I wonder if someone can answer authoritatively:
1. Should I be able to receive programming by hitting 82W exclusively and not 91W?
2. Am I using the wrong LNB?
3. Do I need a bigger dish, or is 50% signal adequate?
4. Could this happen if there is a problem with the way I activated my receiver? It shows activated on the website, but I don't want to call Bell if I don't have to.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Just an update for posterity's sake. Because I was using a new receiver, I had to point my dish at 91 to initially download the firmware. I purchased a 30" Winegard which is giving me almost 50% signal on 91, so I was able to download the firmware. Then I resync'd the receiver on the Bell website, pointed the dish back to 82, ran a check switch, and now I have all of the channels on 82 and it is able to download the EPG, so life is good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)