Charged for VOD that I didn't order

Junk Food

Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Earth
Before I call Dish network on this, I wanted to see if anybody has any insight as what I should do or say to dish? I just checked my bill today and it says that I ordered a VOD on 06/21 - THE NEW DAUGHTER START 05:03pm for $6.99. I have locked all the receiver with a 4 digit code that I only know and nobody else in my family knows or can guess. I was out of town that week and I can prove it. But when I went to check each of the receiver that I have (all 3 of them) in the menu and under previous purchase, none showed anything. So my question is, how do I tell dish that I didn't order it? Do you think each order says which receiver it came from and they can trace it back to the receiver? I even asked all my family member and they all said no. Has anybody else had the same problem where they didn't order anything and it showed up on the bill? Thanks!

I had one pop on on my account to - took longer via chat to convince them that I didn't order it than it should have.

I'm wondering if this isn't a know issue within Dish where the locks feature doesn't work with the VOD stuff or if you go through the VOD app?

it is a known issue in the call center that management refuses to address when us agents bring it up. this past two months (ever since vod was put in the lower local channel area) we have agents have had an extremly escalated amount of calls from customers claiming they did not order. i had one customer who was charged for a VOD on his bill as well, yet he only has a 322 receiver on his account. the 322 is not even capable of vod ordering. it does not have a harddrive. my manager still would not allow this to be adjusted off , as vod/ppv are non refundable. i felt like calling the FTC myself on behalf of the customer on this one. and our software we use for checking on recievers did not show the rec as connected to a phoneline or broadband either. his 322 has never made contact with dish.

also, a VOD is not a PPV. your locks menu only lets you lock PPV from being ordered. it does not lock out VOD. there is not option to lock out VOD either. best thing to do is yank the phone cord/broadband. order ppv's you do want through dishnetwork dot com.

What's next from the dish jokeys, they claim a pre-pay pay in advance customer with no phone line and a legacy 3900 ordered a VOD! Bet IT dept knows how it can happen on their end.

With the 522 I had to go thru the DVR menu system to get to VOD and it was very obvious if you were agreeing to purchase a VOD selection.
I noticed on the 722K that was just installed over the weekend that channel 1
was VOD
If someone tunes to this channel will they get a automatic Vod charge?
I was able to lock channel 1 and prevent it from showing up in the guide.
Are their anyother channels customers can lock and prevent from showing up to prevent accidental VOD purchases?

On 25 May 2010 2 Vod charges were placed on my bill. Vod-Avatar and Vod an Education. These were from a 622 and appeared on the by line in the guide. I sent an e-mail to Dish explaining how this scam as I see it was perpetrated and it sucks in children to click the remote, yet they are never watched. I have gotten no response from Dish and I expect none. Simply clicking the box is a really bad business model for us but good for them. My auto pay will deduct the funds today so I expect no recourse having my charges refunded. I will again e-mail Dish and complain.

Wow, okay, I just got off the phone with Dish Network. I asked them what receiver purchased that VOD, they said they don't know, only that it was purchased and put on my account. Okay. With the their technology Nagravision 3 to combat pirates and dialing home from the receiver, they can't tell what box it was purchased through? Okay. Dish Network sucks big time and I'm only in my 2nd month with them. Anyways, I told them I'm disputing the charges and they said if they do that, I can't order any PPV or VOD for an extended amount of time. I said Okay, thinking I'm never going to order anything from them anyways. And I'm sure as well unplugging my receiver from the phone line. If those dish Nazi's calls me and disable my receiver, I will sure as file a complaint with them or better cancel all my credit card first then tell them they won't be receiving any of their equipment back.

Sitting on their receivers and refusing to return them after you discontinue service is theft.

they could see it was on my 722. it was VOD and was "Invictus" on mine. i've never had this happen before. the CSR took care of it for me but then she said that she put a limit on my account for one PPV and any that are ordered after this i would have to call to order them. i don't order that many, just the occasional UFC fight and sometimes football in the fall. i wouldn't have really minded if the movie was in my dvr folders so i could watch it but it wasn't even in there. everyone might want to check thier online account activity.

I as well had a VOD charge (Leap Year???). Had to fight tooth and nail to get it removed. CSR stated company policy against crediting a VOD. All the purchase histories were empty and when I told them this she said that the charge history uploads off the receiver to Dish Network and on to the bill. Once movie is watched there is no history of it anywhere on the receiver. I questioned this and she was persistent that there would be NO history of a VOD purchase because they are "ordered from the remote." I had to laugh at her as most PPV is rented via the remote. Just another warning that if you have paperless/autopay CHECK YOUR BILL. Could this be construed as criminal activity on Dish's part? Why the sudden rash of VOD charge errors? Make a person wonder.....

So is putting VOD movies on customers accounts and then charging for them. What say you, Krell?

They can ruin your credit and send it to collections, or as most have went auto-pay just bill the sh*t out of you....what will you do? send them to court for a VOD? Sounds like the most thought out scam Dish has ever came up with.

Good on you E* for scamming your customers....they will never know...there all on auto pay and paperless billing to save $10

I had one pop on on my account to - took longer via chat to convince them that I didn't order it than it should have.

I'm wondering if this isn't a know issue within Dish where the locks feature doesn't work with the VOD stuff or if you go through the VOD app?
I did a test on my VOD (Ch 1) stuff last night. It prompted me to enter the password (I have PPV locked), so the locks are working for Ch 1.

So is putting VOD movies on customers accounts and then charging for them. What say you, Krell?
Agree that this too is theft. But it's petty theft. "Stealing receivers" as proposed by the OP is 2 orders of magnitude greater theft.

I did a test on my VOD (Ch 1) stuff last night. It prompted me to enter the password (I have PPV locked), so the locks are working for Ch 1.

Yes I did the same test on the VOD channels. There's no way anybody in my house can hack a 4 digit code that only I know. I am the one paying for dish in my house, that is why I put a lock on all the receivers. Now to have Dish Rep say someone must have known my random 4 digit code that I created is pure BS. Anyways, I went a step further and disconnected all receiver from the phone line and ethernet cable. I have changed all my 4 digit PIN number on the receivers and I have locked and hid all PPV/VOD/MOVIES channels. If there is any future charge that shows up, I will take the necessary step to make sure it comes off even though the dish representative last night told me I can't dispute any future charges on my bill, which is crazy! Sorry just venting out my issue. I just wanted to see if other had this same problem or it was just me.

Agree that this too is theft. But it's petty theft. "Stealing receivers" as proposed by the OP is 2 orders of magnitude greater theft.
Theft is theft.

Its much worse for billion dollar companys to do it to customers.

I on the other hand , would just give my equipment back and be done, instead of fighting with E* and keeping theri equipment hostage over a $7 PPV.

But thats just me.:)

Yes I did the same test on the VOD channels. There's no way anybody in my house can hack a 4 digit code that only I know. I am the one paying for dish in my house, that is why I put a lock on all the receivers. Now to have Dish Rep say someone must have known my random 4 digit code that I created is pure BS. Anyways, I went a step further and disconnected all receiver from the phone line and ethernet cable. I have changed all my 4 digit PIN number on the receivers and I have locked and hid all PPV/VOD/MOVIES channels. If there is any future charge that shows up, I will take the necessary step to make sure it comes off even though the dish representative last night told me I can't dispute any future charges on my bill, which is crazy! Sorry just venting out my issue. I just wanted to see if other had this same problem or it was just me.

To protect yourself from the dish jockeys billing mistake you need to go one step further and disconnect any uhf remote antennas and shield your windows from stray IR rays.

Theft is theft.

Its much worse for billion dollar companys to do it to customers.

I on the other hand , would just give my equipment back and be done, instead of fighting with E* and keeping theri equipment hostage over a $7 PPV.

But thats just me.:)

I'm not worried about the $7 dollar charge right now. I'm worried about if they keep charging me even though I didn't order anything. I keep thinking it is a glitch in their system and I DON'T want to keep happening to me. If this is a one time deal, fine. But if I see another charge, then well it will keep coming and nothing will stop it.

To protect yourself from the dish jockeys billing mistake you need to go one step further and disconnect any uhf remote antennas and shield your windows from stray IR rays.

Too late, I just powered up my gamma ray machine and started a force field around my house. Hopefully the neighbor's remote won't penetrate my shield. Not even the aliens can come in the middle of the night and abduct me! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts