Charlie Chat Caps and Bytes 12-10-07

considering they didn't even have a list of cities...just dots on a crappy map...i wouldn't get to excited....Chuck isn't doing to good at reassuring current subs that the future is gonna be bright.

What'd he say about resolution and most TV capabilities?

Yeah, that was unbelievable. "Most HDTV's today DON'T do 1080i?" This guy is the CEO of a major satellite company? He also said that Dish broadcasts "some" HD channels in 1080i. Uh Charlie, MOST of your HD channels are 1080i. Truely unbelievable.

That was the first Charlie Chat I have ever watched and wow, I don't know what to say. I felt like I was listening to 2 dullards. That almost made me want to give up satellite tv altogether and go for just a movie subscription at blockbuster or netflix.

GeorgeLV, I was also surprised not to see a yellow dot for Tucson. A few weeks ago E* cleared a spot beam that doesn't appear usable for the future Yuma LIL, also D* has announced it will be added soon.

Whats up with most tv's only do 720p???? What ???? Charlie isn't the brightest. I believe the very first HD tvs were most 1080i and most all tvs can show that format now as well. He knows one thing,How to make money,THATS IT! this guy is an idiot! that explains a lot . Any doubt I've ever Had with E* is clearly for good reason. This explains his HD channel count. He's counting all of their HD channels ,but only counting D* 720p channels.:eek:

I can't believe the only new HD local market in Pennsylvania is going to be Erie. What's wrong with Scranton? (DirecTV is getting Scranton for sure, and possibly as early as the first week of January according to one source.)
Or even Harrisburg, after all it's the state capital and Directv already has it. :(

Looks like Erie to me as well. W-B/Scranton would be nice, seeing how D* is supposed to have it by mid-2008 if you look at the press releases (or as soon as 1/3/2007 depending on the source you look at and how much you trust it.) This will be the deciding factor on whether I jump ship - if I can drop Comcast lifeline which I currently have for HD locals, I'll actually be ahead price-wise to switch AND will have much more HD (sorry Poke, I appreciate your optimism, but it's more than just a "few" HD channels defining the gap at the current time).

Even though I have LiL in HD, I also have Basic 1 from Comcast only because the cost of that plus internet service is less than just internet service, according to their rate card. (I also have a small indoor antenna that can also get a 900-kW digital station from almost 50 miles out.)

The idea that Wyoming, the Dakota's, and 2 Montana DMAs are getting HD local while a decently large market like Tucson, AZ isn't planned is absurd.

Could have something to do with the lawsuit by stations in Minot, ND, about putting the locals on the birds.

Yeah, that was unbelievable. "Most HDTV's today DON'T do 1080i?" This guy is the CEO of a major satellite company? He also said that Dish broadcasts "some" HD channels in 1080i. Uh Charlie, MOST of your HD channels are 1080i. Truely unbelievable.
Maybe thats a precursor to converting them to 720p to save room?

Yeah, no Indianapolis. And, to add insult to injury it almost looked like one of those dots were over Terre Haute.

Terre Haute, thats close to my neck of the woods....well, when I was still living back home. No sense in putting a dot on T.H. though, they dont even have any tv stations do they? Maybe it is supposed to be Indy..?

Terre Haute, thats close to my neck of the woods....well, when I was still living back home. No sense in putting a dot on T.H. though, they dont even have any tv stations do they? Maybe it is supposed to be Indy..?

Don't count on it. From what I understand, Dish's feud with Tribune (or whoever) makes it pretty unlikely we'll see Indy HD locals. But that's okay; I already "moved" to get HD locals, and when Cincy comes online, I'll just "move" there.

I stopped watching the chat after the programming updates were over. Glad I did from what I read from the recap. What a snoozer. Charlie needs to hire a new marketing department -- a good one. I'm sure they're the ones who plan these lousy chats.

Yeah, that was unbelievable. "Most HDTV's today DON'T do 1080i?" This guy is the CEO of a major satellite company?
Maybe he was talking about the fact that most don't DISPLAY 1080i. They may ACCEPT 1080i as input, but they display it in 720p or 1080p. I think CRT sets used to (maybe still do) display 1080i but other technologies are progressive display.

I didn't see the Charlie Chat so I don't know in what context he was talking about 1080i.

That can't be right. I live in Erie, and none of our local channels are in HD yet.

Me too, but I moved to Cleveland so I'm hoping someone with bad geographical skills put that map together.

BTW, I received an email from WSEE stating that they've been working on HD for over a year, and it might be available after the first of the year. FWIW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts