Charlie Chat Recap 6-12-6

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I think this is the deal I've been waiting for to push me over the edge to finally move to HD.

Make me sure I'm right: I don't have any HD programming/receivers right now, so I would basically pay $199 up front for the lease upgrade to a 622 and get $10 off my bill per month for 10 months, or is it $100 instant off the up front cost?

ir0nw0lf said:
I think this is the deal I've been waiting for to push me over the edge to finally move to HD.

Make me sure I'm right: I don't have any HD programming/receivers right now, so I would basically pay $199 up front for the lease upgrade to a 622 and get $10 off my bill per month for 10 months, or is it $100 instant off the up front cost?

As I understand it for exsisting customers with no HD currently it's $199 up front and $10/month credit for 10 months if you get the HD programming; no up front credits.

I would consider upgrading if they would raise the 4 tuner limit on leased accounts. I'd like to upgrade my leased 510 and 942 to two 622s and keep my 508 (5 tuners, but 3 receivers). I can only run in single mode until the IR thing on TV2 gets squared away.

Any ideas if they plan to increase the tuner limit?

dfergie said:
Added Word doc version with the attachments, It is with the attachments on first page...

Fantastic recap/word doc summary. Way to package the info in a very slick and easy-to-digest manner. I watched the show off my DVR late last night, but, had I not, this is all the info in a very pro presented nutshell indeed.

It's the result of UPN affiliates merging.

Many affiliates of either upn or wb will become a CW affiliate. The question was posed to ad stations carrying CW programming to the hd local lineups

qhplar said:
As I understand it for exsisting customers with no HD currently it's $199 up front and $10/month credit for 10 months if you get the HD programming; no up front credits.

Just to be clear, because I just called Dish and confirmed this. You DO qualify for the $100 ($10/month) rebate if you are an existing HD customer and upgrade to one of the new metal HD packages. I still have the old Everything Package with the HD Pack, and I just upgraded to a 622 for $199 and changed my HD programming to DishHD Platinum, and I do quality. But I think the rebate has nothing to do with the $199 upgrade promotion. I think the only requirement is that you upgrade to one of the new metal packages. There is a rebate form on their website http://dishnetwork/100back where you can print out the form and send it it. After looking at the form, it also looks like if you have one of the current metal packages but upgrade to a more expensive one, you might also qualify.

Anyway, it's a good chance to save a few bucks as an existing customer if you qualify!

NGHD only available in Gold and above is a tough one to swallow since they are already charging $20 for their HD package...which apparently doesn't include all HD channels. Seems like a contradiction. Most of us with HD are minimizing our SD line up since we don't watch them... now we are forced to get all SD in order to get this one HD channel. I was tempted by this new upgrade offer to go back to E* as I really want NGHD, but now I'm not so sure.

shanewalker said:
Fantastic recap/word doc summary. Way to package the info in a very slick and easy-to-digest manner. I watched the show off my DVR late last night, but, had I not, this is all the info in a very pro presented nutshell indeed.
Thanks! I was going to do the recap this way(with Images inserted) but doing it in real time would have taken a lot longer... ( I was adding info as the chat went and as I could put the info out instead of doing it after the chat...)

Well it was more of a joke, cause I think someone asked how long it's good till.

But the next charlie chat is September 11

But I think these deals will only get better, so I'm not worrying about deadlines

The Dish web site shows 2 monthy credits of $10.00 for 10 months for new HD customers. One is called $100.00 Back Credit and the other is called HD Bonus. (Used Dishbuilder) Also on the website the NFL channel is listed for Silver and above. Is it being changed to Bronze and above or is there a typo in this thread?

Zookster said:
NGHD only available in Gold and above is a tough one to swallow since they are already charging $20 for their HD package...which apparently doesn't include all HD channels. Seems like a contradiction. Most of us with HD are minimizing our SD line up since we don't watch them... now we are forced to get all SD in order to get this one HD channel. I was tempted by this new upgrade offer to go back to E* as I really want NGHD, but now I'm not so sure.

Yup, wish D* woudl get their HD act in order we need competition in HD, tired of E* crap and no real alternatives and they want 18 month commitment now for 622 lease!

Looks like during the summer season Dish is offering what most would consider to be very fair upgrade promotions for both existing and new customers.

Some folks don't like making a commitment to Dish programming. I don't mind making a commitment for "X" number of months since: (a) DirectTV has inferior picture quality and I'm not a big NFL fan; (b) Charter cable in my area compresses the signal very badly such that their SD looks horrible; their HD channels offerings are limited; their DVR sucks compared to my Dish unit (Dish unit has faster channels changing, very few lockups, much better programming guide, and better build quality); and, Charter cable pricing in my area is more costly than Dish, tho recent price increases at Dish have narrowed the gap a bit; and, finally, Charter customer service is horrific compared to Dish (not that Dish customer service is anywhere near perfect, Charter is just hugely worse).

I'm looking forward to the new PocketDish units that should be available by the end of summer -- if they have wifi, as suggested, and allow down-rezzed HD content to transfer Dish will have a very compelling "total entertainment package" between their PocketDish, HD-DVRs and programming tiers.

Now if Dish would just hire some new marketing people......

I was watching some of the "Charlie Chat" last night and somebody asked about the regional sports networks in HD and if they'd be available someday. He countered with the fact that there isn't enough HD content on these channels to make it feasible at this time. Hmmmmm. So far I've hardly seen much of any true HD content on Nat Geo to make it feasible either, and what is shown is re-aired over and over again. Somewhat contradictory...... :rolleyes:

It's not going to break my heart when the free preview ends on the 7th as I won't be upgrading just for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)