Charlie Chat Recap and Discussion

I'd put my $ on Charlie miscommunicating what will happen. It doesn't make sense to offer the new Voom channels MPEG4 only if nearly all of us can't view them, and won't for some time. We'll see in a few weeks I suppose :)

Some quotations from the chat transcribed by dfergie
Question: from Kay Hd programming, when are we going to get more HD programming? D* is already broadcasting Espn2... likes to watch Hockey

Answer from Charlie: We have a lot of Hockey today on HD-net... We have a lot of New HD coming and its coming soon. The main thing that we are doing and it's a little bit different is were switching to a new transmission technology standard called Mpeg 4... it allows us to be more efficient in how we utilize the satellite and to do HD more economically. We are beginning to ship the new HD receivers with the advent of new technology In January we will roll out new HD programming including Espn2 at the CES show the first week of January... special HD chat jan 9th... More Voom channels and local HD channels NY, Atlanta ,Boston, LA and Chicago in January and in each month we expect 5 new city's to roll out next year. `We promise that we are going to be a leader in the HD category... We are excited about it.

Question: from Allan... IS Voom going to be a dead dog? or are you going to continue to carry it?

Answer... We started with only 10 channels of Voom and this has been a sort of a place holder we have been waiting for the mpeg 4 technology... in January we will add at least 5 channels in mpeg 4 and a lot of programming we have been holding out for the first 10 channels will be coming out so you will see a lot less repetitive programming. We are condensing the original 21 V* channels down to 15... New and better stuff and Quality and Variety will improve. The 5 new channels will quite interesting and you will like what you see... Voom will be around for a long time.'

Last edited by a moderator:
riffjim4069 said:
Maybe I should ignore everything Charlie just mentioned and wait for the HD Chat on January 9th? Ugh! I get the feeling E* is flying by the seat of their pants with this MPEG-4 stuff.

I have the feeling they didn't actually expect D* to get up their HD LiL so fast and all of the major changes are fallout from that. Why would they list the whole Voom 21 in the EPG if they planned on 15 channels all along? It seems to me that the sudden about face on MPEG-4 stems from the need to maximize every bit of bandwidth to be somewhat competitive in HD LiL until they can get some new birds up.

dfergie said:
This was some of the high points of the chat... there were other points but this was the meat and potatoes of the broadcast... :D

and it was only 10 minutes of the show :)

sclaws said:
I'd put my $ on Charlie miscommunicating what will happen. It doesn't make sense to offer the new Voom channels MPEG4 only if nearly all of us can't view them, and won't for some time. We'll see in a few weeks I suppose :)

I guess it didn't make any sense to offer the new HD channels when everybody had SD receiver and nearly no one could view them either? :rolleyes:

GeorgeLV said:
I guess it didn't make any sense to offer the new HD channels when everybody had SD receiver and nearly no one could view them either? :rolleyes:

And Charlie is always 100% accurate with his Chat statements? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

FreddyvsJasonvsAsh said:
well to bad for the people with 811s because you won't be able to see the MPEG4 VOOM channels and if you want a 411/211 you have to pay for it

are you sure about this?!? how do you know, do you work for dish or are you just shooting off at the mouth right now

sclaws said:
And Charlie is always 100% accurate with his Chat statements? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ha. Nope. But if I'm Charlie and I have a MPEG-4 receiver to sell, I'm going to put some MPEG-4 content out there so people will buy it.

GeorgeLV said:
Ha. Nope. But if I'm Charlie and I have a MPEG-4 receiver to sell, I'm going to put some MPEG-4 content out there so people will buy it.

:) True enough. Bring on the content E*...I'm just hoping for some time to prep the wife for another receiver upgrade after the 'HD flagship' I got last time.

I think that Dish was planning on releasing all 21 Voom channels @ 1280x1080 but we let our voice be heard and they changed there mind to 15 voom channels @ 1920x1080i. I would much rather have the 15 channels at full resolution than a bunch of HD-Lite. I think that it is good that they are starting the MPEG4 and HD locals. If they get to far behind Directv on the HD local front then that will be bad for dish. Alot of people decide on who they spend their money with just by what they are doing with the HD locals. It will be interesting to know if they release the HD locals in full resolution or not, that will be the million dollar question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts