Charlie Chat Recap and Discussion

I always wondered why they were releasing the 411/211 so soon if they weren't going to release any HD in MPEG4 for awhile.

BrettTRay said:
I think that Dish was planning on releasing all 21 Voom channels @ 1280x1080 but we let our voice be heard and they changed there mind to 15 voom channels @ 1920x1080i. I would much rather have the 15 channels at full resolution than a bunch of HD-Lite. I think that it is good that they are starting the MPEG4 and HD locals. If they get to far behind Directv on the HD local front then that will be bad for dish. Alot of people decide on who they spend their money with just by what they are doing with the HD locals. It will be interesting to know if they release the HD locals in full resolution or not, that will be the million dollar question.

:hatsoff: I agree...

I don't see why the dvr people are panicing just yet. Maybe the Voom content will be rotated so that it hits the existing 10 so you'd still have a chance to record it.

I'm not convinced that Charlie knew exactly what he was talking about. My guess is that ESPN 2 and the 5 extra voom channels will be mpeg2. The locals will be mpeg4. Just a hunch.

I didn't see the chat but I would bet that ESPN2 and the Voom channels will be in MPEG2 and that LIL HD will be MPEG4.

They want to get the 211 and 411 into new customers hands now but wouldn't want to get nailed with a bunch of upgrades right a way by putting on 5 Voom channels in MPEG45.

This is my guess and I have no inside information.

Shawn

EDIT : I agree with Jimboeau as you cna see by the post and close timing. I'm a slow typer.

Last edited:
jimboeau said:
I'm not convinced that Charlie knew exactly what he was talking about. My guess is that ESPN 2 and the 5 extra voom channels will be mpeg2. The locals will be mpeg4. Just a hunch.

thats exactly what I am thinking and i am 100 percent fine with that as i get great OTA. at least this is what I am hoping for, cant wait to see what scott or someone has to say about this, or anyone in the know!

I do not think anyone should panic yet. Information and decisions change by the minute. As lots of you pointed out just yesterday we knew a different story of what Charlie revealed tonight. My guess is that come CES the story will change once more. So don't haste and make a decision yet until you know for sure of what is happening. Things will keep changing for the better.

csschrot said:
I didn't see the chat but I would bet that ESPN2 and the Voom channels will be in MPEG2 and that LIL HD will be MPEG4.

You need to watch a Charley Chat....

I think that the voom channels and ESPN2 will be MPEG2 but HD locals will be MPEG4. They must put something in MPEG4 or why would they be releasing the 211/411 so soon. If the MPEG4 decoders are not doing what they wanted then why not postpone the 211/411 if there isn't going to be anything in MPEG4? That is what makes me think the locals will be MPEG4

BrettTRay said:
I think that Dish was planning on releasing all 21 Voom channels @ 1280x1080 but we let our voice be heard and they changed there mind to 15 voom channels @ 1920x1080i. I would much rather have the 15 channels at full resolution than a bunch of HD-Lite. I think that it is good that they are starting the MPEG4 and HD locals. If they get to far behind Directv on the HD local front then that will be bad for dish. Alot of people decide on who they spend their money with just by what they are doing with the HD locals. It will be interesting to know if they release the HD locals in full resolution or not, that will be the million dollar question.
I agree that we had a hand in the decision to reduce the number of VOOM channels to give us the quality we asked for. I am willing to bet that Charlie will bring on the HD locals in true HD. But I expect he had to jump to MPEG4 to make that happen. Bottom line: I think this is a good plan for Dish--and for us HD nuts.

I missed the chat but am ROTFLMAO about Charlie. He's a hoot on the chats.

I'd bet $100 that VOOM is MPEG2.

He sure makes things interesting.

And I agree that 15 VOOM channels is enough. Heck, over the past 6 months I think they could have aired all of the content and repeated it on 3 channels. There is no reason to think that any VOOM HD content won't make it on the air with 15 channels instead of 21.

Tom Bombadil said:
I missed the chat but am ROTFLMAO about Charlie. He's a hoot on the chats.

I'd bet $100 that VOOM is MPEG2.

He sure makes things interesting.

And I agree that 15 VOOM channels is enough. Heck, over the past 6 months I think they could have aired all of the content and repeated it on 3 channels. There is no reason to think that any VOOM HD content won't make it on the air with 15 channels instead of 21.

Charlie made a point of saying that the VOOM channels were sort of placeholders. That is how I have felt about their content. Needed HD eye-candy, so I watched them. But they left much to be desired content wise.

If I have to buy new receivers (I have two 811's) I will probably just go to DirecTV. It will be cheaper to be a new customer there and get a good deal. They give a $ 200 rebate. DirecTV will be adding more HD soon anyway, and they are giving the locals in my market anyway. I do not plan on giving Charlie a dime more just to see his new HD channels. This is just a ploy to get more money out of us.

Lucky said:
It is being reported by Ken H in the avsforum that the VOOM channels will be MPEG4 and ESPN2HD, as well.

Ken has never been a source for Dish news in my books. Still gonna wait for the January chat

CDH said:
I don't see any mention of the previously rumored UHD. Anything?
CDH.
The guy who asked the question only mentioned ESPN2 in his question, so charlie brought that one up, that's only my guess

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts