Charlie downplays DirecTV's 100 HD channels

rad

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
From Ergen Downplays DirecTV’s 100 HD Channels - 8/10/2007 11:03:00 AM - Multichannel News

Ergen said he didn’t think it’s so important to have 70 or even 100 HD channels, although he noted that Dish Network has 50, so much as having something that people want to watch.

“There’s not 100 channels of HD that I would watch,” he said, while at one point also conceding that 100 HD offerings “is a good round number to get people excited.”

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
I don't agree with charlie much when it comes to HD, but I do on this one.

Edit:

let me add also that I don't think Charlie will let himself fall behind either.

Last edited:

bonscott87

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 27, 2004
Charlie is just so full of it just like the cable co's. These are the exact same channels that he will carry himself someday (one hopes). I just don't get it.

aperry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 26, 2003
“There’s not 100 channels of HD that I would watch,” [Charlie] said, while at one point also conceding that 100 HD offerings “is a good round number to get people excited.”
Charlie's so funny. Just because he wouldn't watch them doesn't mean others might not want them.

And I agree with the above poster. Likely, we'll have most (if not all) of the channels too at some point.

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Yeah but again there is not even 100 ""National Networks"" that have a HD version of their channel up and running. So before Direct or Dish can carry them they all must wait on the Network to get their HD Channel up and running. So main thing is who has more HD Channels at this time which is Dish and will have more added this month and next.

hancox

Pub Member / UConnaholic
Supporting Founder
Nov 23, 2003
Monroe, CT
Charlie saying anything about mostly-unwatchable HD, while padding his numbers with Voom, is hilarious :)

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Yeah well we will see after next month or two due to Dish will probably add more HD Channels than Direct.

JayPSU

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 22, 2006
Westerville, Ohio
And what is he supposed to say? If he says he really wants to get the same channels as Directv he does two things, he puts himself in a terrible bargaining position to make deals on those channels, and he also makes Directv seem like a great service to sign up with. By downplaying D* and their 100 channels he is just preserving his "poker face" for making deals while making it appear that Dish is the better place to subscribe. It's not rocket science here, folks.

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
I think it was Scott who described charlie as the worlds best poker player, and that is so true because that is what he is! this is just a show move to make you look one way, meanwhile next week he adds 7 more HD channels!

by the way I totally agree with charlie, there maybe Hd channels that are just worthless in picking up (if QVC ever has one, or how about espn classic HD worthless IMO)

tigerfan33

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2007
Alabama
Poke is right. There are not 100 hd national channels out there and will not be 100 national hd by the end of the year. Charlie is smart. They have to get these so called hd channels up and running before you can launch it!!!

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Poke, I've got to admire your devotion to E*.

Well to me it don't matter what either one says Direct or Dish when it comes to who will have more HD Channels. All that matters right now is what shows up in your guide and thats what speaks for itself. When 100 National Channels of HD show up in any TV Service Providers guide then one can say they have it. Until then its just a wait and see game until more HD Channels go live. For now it's about who actually has what not about what might happen. Heck someone could start a New Satellite Company tomorrow and come out say that their TV Service will have 200 National Channels of HD. But until they find that many Networks that have a HD Channel up running and put them in their HD Lineup well it dont matter right now. So until a TV Service Provider can offer them there no reason to talk about. If a TV Service Provider chooses to talk about adding 100 National HD channels then thats fine. We all will be glad to have more HD but until that day comes it don't really matter. What matters to me is which TV Service Provider can do a better job of adding New National HD Channels to their line up as the HD Channel goes live. Right now I think that Dish has done a better job of that than some of the others again just my 2 cents. Until they add it to their line up of HD Channels no one can get them.

Either way folks should choose the service provider who meets their needs the best no matter who it is. I just don't get caught up in all of the hype that gets put out there. I wait and see what the results are at the end of the year. Anyway just my 2 cents. :)

Last edited:

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
When commenting on content being more important than quantity, did Charlie mention that 15 of E*'s 50 HD channels are Voom channels that offer little or no new content, with existing content that leaves a lot to be desired?

8bitbytes

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
NoVA
When commenting on content being more important than quantity, did Charlie mention that 15 of E*'s 50 HD channels are Voom channels that offer little or no new content, with existing content that leaves a lot to be desired?

Yeah 'cause there's so much new stuff on all those HBO HD channels right?!

;)

bonscott87

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 27, 2004
Not nearly as admirable as the tenacity shown by DIRECTV HD subscribers that have stuck it out for the last 35 months.

You make is sound like people suffered or something. If DirecTV offerd/offers people the HD they want then how is that suffering? :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts