Charlie's Special Customer Team?

billp

Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
What is that email to get to high level customer support? I need to knock some sense into these people! I discovered today when they took out my 811 in July '08 and replaced with a 211 (MPEG 2 to MPEG 4) they have been billing me for the 811 as an extra receiver. So when I brought it to their attention they told me they would credit me $10.00 "as a courtesy"! Well, I count $70.00 ($5.00 x 14 months). Now $70.00 is not going to break either their bank (or mine) but its the principle. So, I want to make an issue out of it. I remember in forums past people talking about a special number or email. Any insight will be appreciated! Thanks.

I hate to say it, but my parents have auto pay and rarely check the itemized online statement, but they went a year with an old 508 on their account before noticing and DISH wouldn't refund or credit anything.

There becomes a point where you can only go back so far to make things right.

I get people who call me all the time after they had service for 5 months and are wondering why their bill is so high, and it turns out they never called into drop the HBO/Showtime they got Free for the first 3 months when they signed up. Then the customer tries to play the "Nobody told me" game trying to get a credit for 2 months worth of movies that you don't know if they watched or not.

Its the customers responcibility to make sure their bill is correct. In this situation, there are alot of customers out there who get an upgrade and take the old receiver and put it in a spare bedroom or something.

I would take the $10 and be happy they are doing something.

Yes in my case autopay. Had a billing issue today and had to look at an online invoice. In my case, I did not even ask for the 211. It showed up one day with instructions to swap it out with the 811 as it would be obsolete. (MPEG4 change). I was on the phone doing the swap out with them and assumed they would disconnect the 811 from my account. Just shows you - you got to watch them like a hawk.

Regardless of your billing method, it is your responsibility to check your monthly bill for accuracy. You can view your statement on ch100 if you connect a phone line to your receiver, you can go to dishnetwork.com, you can call and ask an agent, you can chat with an agent online. The tools are there for you to use but you didn't. Take some responsibility for your own lack of action and own up to it.

In this situation, there are alot of customers out there who get an upgrade and take the old receiver and put it in a spare bedroom or something.

It's not clear to me that this is even possible in this situation. Based on the OP, this sounds like a swap out where he had to ship the old receiver back. If that's the case, Dish really has no excuse for the charge.

If the old receiver was never shipped back, then I have to agree with Claude; I don't think Dish can be blamed.

The weird thing is I owned the 811. I did not even buy it from Dish. Then a 211 arrives and they tell me to switch is out. They knew it was a replacement as I was on the phone with them when we disconnected the 811 and installed the 211. They never asked for it (811) back. I just put it in my garage to collect dust. They told me it would be obsolete in a few weeks when they switched to MPEG 4.

Between autopay and DISH's nearly impossible to decipher bills (specifically after you make a change) I can see how this happens.

Regardless if you think the OP may be partially responsible, DISH should refund the entire overpayment. Sounds like an oversight on the part of the CSR.

Lesson learned, for a few months after a change with DISH you need to scrutinize your bill carefully.

For most people on autopay, I suspect a bill that is $5 higher than normal won't catch anyone's attention, so why check the itemized bill ? If the bill is $20 higher (or some unknown amount), even someone on autopay might get around to checking....

In this case, Dish "replaced" his 811, told him it was going to be obsolete, etc, etc yet still charged him. How can anyone defend Dish in this case ?

There's a difference between getting billed for programming you didn't drop and getting billed for something like hardware you don't have. The latter is all E*'s fault and those amounts should be refunded without question no matter have far back they go. It's not only the ethical thing to do but also the honest thing.

So if you go to the store and buy (3) items and the store charges you for (4), it's okay by you ?

When you go to the store and purchase 3 items, they will ask you for money. It's up to you to know what the items you are attempting to purchase should cost.

If they ask you for $5 more than the items cost and you pay it, it's your fault, period. It's also your fault if you pay with a $20 and get change for a $10. It's your money.

And if you do it over a dozen times...

When you go to the store and purchase 3 items, they will ask you for money. It's up to you to know what the items you are attempting to purchase should cost.

If they ask you for $5 more than the items cost and you pay it, it's your fault, period. It's also your fault if you pay with a $20 and get change for a $10. It's your money.

And if you do it over a dozen times...

Great analogies!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts