charter cable modem

iafirebuff said:
HOA's are great for some people, not so great for others. I myself like doing yardwork, but not everyone does. I don't think a person is lazy just because they don't have to push snow or mow grass! Some people would rather spend their time doing something else rather than worry about that. As for lazy employees...every industry has them. I do know for a fact, that around here, that is the one of the main reasons there are not traps on cable internet hookups. Back to HOA's. Some are over bearing, but they are there for a reason, and that usually is a good thing.

83 acres - COOL! That is a lot of land! Lots of work too. Not for everyone. My "lottery house" will be a compound out away from everybody :)

an acre has a trailer housed on it, I maintain 3 to 4 myself for yard. 8 or so acres is woods, and the rest is leased for hay.

avediswolf said:
My folks had free cable, including the premium channels!

But... The cable company had a right-of-way through their property to get to their dishes, so that was the deal made between them and the cable copany.

Me climbing the mountain and visiting the dishes occasionally is what got me interested in satellites.

They moved, and now have Dish. But now they have free natural gas, for the same reason.

companies will offer free cable usually for the use of land for the tower if it's leased and not owned. I give free cable to someone to maintain the property, and another for letting us use one of there storage bins.

me working in cable, got me into the FTA hobby side of it as well.

this comment is for mr. cablewithaveiw, i forgot to say that i did call my cable company on six different times to let them know about the cable was on at my house. from this day they have not come out and address this problem. i have had directv and a paying customer for 3yrs or so.and then went to dishnet for 2yrs.and now back with dtv. i even had charter cable pipeline services for a year,that i was paying . my friend until we went from working 5days a week to 3 days a week. i had to feed my famliy so i had to cancel my services with them. they sent a contractor out to my house to hook up the pipleline services and guess what? i told him about it been already on and he said to me was that its showing that the resident is on paying service. that i had to call the office and let them know. i was not going to do it again. that tower is in my back yard. on my property and i do not have a special keyto open it. just to let you know that i do watch tv in den(cable). but my other 4 rooms i have 4 samsung rec. from dtv. that i pay almost a little over $70.00 and change. i hope this will clears up anything that not in good standing with this forum. i know that i am new to this site. but i am not mad,i believe just a little mis understanding on my part. i do not steal from the cable people. if they come and fix this problem,then guess what i will upgrade for 1 more rec. and i will have 5. thanks and have a great day.

Last edited:
and i live in a subdivison that has 454 houses in it. and i do pay hoa fees. a buck and quarter. for yearly dues. now have i explain myself enough. and with school out and all. my kids are on the computer alot. so if i do not check forum like i should please forgive me. and the reason why i asked about the modem is because i was told by the lady at the sale. heck i did'nt know that it was gonna cause this. man i just wanna scream.

thank you for explianing and I apoligize. :eek: You did come back in here and explian, the least I could do is apoligize and hope you accept it. I do get worked up some about theft and my first impression was, you was stealing. some of y'all in here do live in hoa's and I never dealt with one until recently so it's new to me and I took it the wrong way. let me be the first to :welcome: you into the forum and hope to see you around. :wave I'm cool. ;)

thank you very much my friend. and great coming to a forum like this. i really want to say thank you and all the great people in here that i have not met yet. and again thanks and all good.

interesting post..I was once told that the cable co(or telco) owns the line to the point of entry of the home plus one foot. Anything beyond that belongs to the home owner and if that line has signal, it belonged to the home owner as well and wouldn't be considdered 'stealing' (ie; you move in and the lines are active). I'm in CA and I do satllite so I don't know much about the cable biz but would like to know if what I have been told is true or not. This subject has come up several times, mostly with dish customers who could care less about cable anyway. So guys and gals, anyone have the real deal on this one? Frankly, I think it's the cable co's responsibility to disconect when someone cancels and if the work order falls between the cracks, shame on them for bad QC's.

satguysac said:
interesting post..I was once told that the cable co(or telco) owns the line to the point of entry of the home plus one foot. Anything beyond that belongs to the home owner and if that line has signal, it belonged to the home owner as well and wouldn't be considdered 'stealing' (ie; you move in and the lines are active).

most cable companies policies are responsible to the point of entry if there is any problems. if their is no problem to the point of entry, the customer is responsible for it's repairs past the point of entry, meaning they can replace the cable themself or pay the company to do it for them. the signal is the companies regardless, the homeowner is paying for the privilege to view that signal. if they are viewing that signal without consent, then it's stealing. FCC also has it where if a cable company installed the cable in the house and the home owner want's to disconnect, the cable company reserves the right to take the cable out of the home, if the homeowner wants to keep the inside wiring then they would have to pay the company for it. you are paying to have the wires installed, not to be owned by you. see fcc notes: http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Cable/Informal/cblwirng.txt

satguysac said:
I'm in CA and I do satllite so I don't know much about the cable biz but would like to know if what I have been told is true or not. This subject has come up several times, mostly with dish customers who could care less about cable anyway. So guys and gals, anyone have the real deal on this one? Frankly, I think it's the cable co's responsibility to disconect when someone cancels and if the work order falls between the cracks, shame on them for bad QC's.

it's like speeding, you know it's wrong and if you are caught you could get fined, if not paid then jailed. so you tell me?
also it's consider a passive theft which someone moves into a new residence and notices it receives cable without an account, but that person does not take steps to become a subscriber or have it cut off.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts