Charter files for C-band testing in Florida

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
Charter files for C-Band tests in Florida | FierceWireless

CCO Fiberlink, a subsidiary of Charter Communications, filed an application for Special Temporary Authority (STA) to conduct tests in the 3.7-4.2 GHz band, in part to better understand the impact of 5G C-Band waveform on C-Band satellite receivers.

I hope this testing fails miserably! Charter would likely roll this out everywhere they are, and that's not a good thing for us...

Midco has also filed to do similar testing in Minnesota and the Dakotas.

Midco pursues trial at 3.7-4.2 GHz in 3 Midwest locations | FierceWireless

Midco’s initial working theory of operation—prior to conducting any testing—is that it can deploy fixed wireless technology to serve customers and not interfere with the use of C-Band earth stations for video through the positioning of fixed wireless equipment, satellite filters, satellite shield and/or using other methods and equipment for co-existence.

There are two proposals going through the FCC regulatory process pertaining to what to do with the C-band spectrum.

1. Shrink the amount of the 3.7-4.2 GHz spectrum allocated for satellite use and reallocate for 5G cellular use. This is almost certain to happen, since North America's four main C-band satellite operators are all on board with giving up 200 MHz of spectrum and reaping the profits of doing so. The FCC could require them to give up more than 200 MHz of spectrum, however.
  2. After shrinking the C-band spectrum for satellite use, allowing wireless internet companies to share the remaining C-band spectrum with satellite users.
The tests described in these articles seem aimed at investigating the potential affects of both proposals.

Here's a corporate PR piece Charter put out describing how important they believe C-band spectrum is to their 5G wireless efforts. They, along with most other cellular providers and the technology industry, are calling on the FCC to reject the C-band Alliance's proposal to simply reallocate 200 MHz of C-band spectrum, and instead have the FCC conduct an auction of C-band spectrum that would be similar to the auction of UHF TV spectrum.

Getting it Right on C-band Spectrum Will Make 5G Available for More Americans - Charter Communications | Policy

Why are the Americans so obsessed with turning everything into a "race" ? Who gives a crap if China deploys 5G to their nation faster than we deploy it to our own? So the Chinese population will be able to access their heavily censored, sanitized version of the Internet on their phones faster than us. Big whoop. Life in America will continue on just fine.

You know, after the Great Firewall gets done mangling all the traffic and the Chinese have to use a VPN to access the real Internet anyways I bet China's 5G is going to end up being just as slow as our uncensored 4G here in the States anyway. We've already 'won' the race to 5G.

And quite frankly I trust 'private foreign companies' like Intelsat more than I do the scumbag American cable companies any day so talk about Charter throwing stones when they live in a glass house.

It’s about MONEY. Who gets there first and first with patents in hand, gets a leg up on worldwide equipment sales.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Victoria you are right i keep seeing tv news programs i say why are we in a race. If we were race to the moon its different. Is FTA satellite restricted in China? I rather have my satellite tv over slow internet.

Victoria you are right i keep seeing tv news programs i say why are we in a race. If we were race to the moon its different. Is FTA satellite restricted in China? I rather have my satellite tv over slow internet.

Dan, better punctuation is your friend. It's the difference between making sense, and cannibalism! LOL

Notice the difference:

Lets eat grandpa!

Versus:

Let's eat, grandpa!

You for sure need a comma between the words "tv" and "over" on your final sentence.

Reactions: HiDefRev and raydio
Why are the Americans so obsessed with turning everything into a "race" ? Who gives a crap if China deploys 5G to their nation faster than we deploy it to our own? So the Chinese population will be able to access their heavily censored, sanitized version of the Internet on their phones faster than us. Big whoop. Life in America will continue on just fine.

You know, after the Great Firewall gets done mangling all the traffic and the Chinese have to use a VPN to access the real Internet anyways I bet China's 5G is going to end up being just as slow as our uncensored 4G here in the States anyway. We've already 'won' the race to 5G.

And quite frankly I trust 'private foreign companies' like Intelsat more than I do the scumbag American cable companies any day so talk about Charter throwing stones when they live in a glass house.
Wireless carriers in the USA never optimized 4G LTE. We never got the speeds it was capable of. 5G will have data caps and throttling. They will sell you new expensive phones and bigger data plans for more $$$$. It's a gimmick. They have oversold all the networks. All 5G is giving them is spectrum.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts