Charter will file Chap 11 Bankruptcy

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
Charter Communications and its subsidiaries announced Thursday that they have reached an agreement-in-principle with some debt holders on the terms of a financial restructuring that will involve a prearranged Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing by April 1.

A Chapter 11 bankruptcy is a reorganization, as opposed to a Chapter 7, which is a liquidation. That means Charter will continue operating with the goal of eventually emerging from bankruptcy.

In a prearranged bankruptcy, a company enters into reorganization with a plan to emerge that has the approval of major stakeholders.

UW-Madison Prof. Jim Seward, who teaches a Corporate Restructuring class in the Business School, said in an e-mail that a "pre-packaged" bankruptcy is designed to complete a reorganization in very fast order.

"There are various technical sorts of reasons why this makes sense for companies, but generally this approached is used when the company is seeking to gain creditor concessions in a congenial way, and typically there are very few (if any) repercussions for customers at all," Seward said. "This is a relatively low cost, established way of completing a distressed reorganization, so I would not expect that customers would feel any negative impact whatsoever. Indeed, they as customers are unlikely to even be aware that the company has filed bankruptcy."

The restructuring will reduce its debt, which was more than $21 billion, by $8 billion, Charter said in a news release.

The debt holders will receive combinations of new debt, cash, common shares, warrants to buy stock and preferred shares.

Charter said chairman and majority shareholder Paul Allen will retain voting control of the St. Louis-based company, which is the dominant subscription TV provider in the Madison area.

But Charter's common stock will be canceled, meaning shareholder stakes will be wiped out. Allen has invested more than $7 billion in the company.

The agreement has subsidiaries CCH I Holdings LLC and Charter Communications Holdings LLC making about $74 million in interest payments on some of the debt due Jan. 15 within the 30-day grace period that had been granted.

About $1.9 billion of debt comes due next year. Overall, more than half of Charter's $21 billion in total borrowings will mature by 2013.

As of Wednesday, Charter said it had about $800 million in cash and cash equivalents available to it.

Charter said it believes its liquidity, combined with its cash from operating activities, will be sufficient to meet its projected cash needs, including the payment of normal operating costs and expenses, as it proceeds with the restructuring.

"We are pleased to have reached an agreement with such a significant portion of our bondholders on a long-term solution to improve our capital structure," President and CEO Neil Smit said in a statement. "We are committed to continuing to provide our 5.5 million customers with quality cable, Internet and phone service, and through this agreement, we will be even better positioned to deliver the products and services our customers demand now and in the future. Moreover, the interest and support provided by our stakeholders with their new capital investment underscores their confidence in Charter and our business."

Charter said the agreement-in-principle is subject to numerous closing conditions, and there is no assurance that the treatment of creditors outlined above will not change significantly.

The company said the purpose of the restructuring is to strengthen its balance sheet in order to fully support the company's operations and service its debt. As such, the agreement-in-principle contemplates paying trade creditors in full.

Charter also reported Thursday that its fourth-quarter revenues are expected to increase by 6.6 percent to $1.66 billion, with adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization up nearly 10 percent to $620 million.

Although Charter'ss operations are profitable, huge interest payments have kept it from turning a profit since it went public in 1999.

Our economy is reliant on consumers earned ability to purchase. Trillions of dollars given to big business will just deepen our recession toward depression. The bail out money if given to consumers would definitely stimulate the economy. Filing bankruptcy is just a sign of the times.

Somebody is bidding on Charter. This morning there was a buy order for 20,000 shares of Charter at 1 cent each. That's a whopping investment of $200. LOL.

Doesn't it seem impossible that a cable TV provider, given what they charge for their packages, could roll up a debt of $21 BILLION !?!?

That's 21,000 MILLION DOLLARS!!!

I wonder who it is that is being stuck when they write $8B of that off? Someone just lost $8B of paper assets.

(As a Charter employee) It's Time Warner. A few months ago, Time Warner put an offer on the table in St. Louis. The deal was for what Charter Comm. was worth, not it's debt. Charter said NO! Now, Charter will file for Chapter 11, clear it's debt and sell the company to Time Warner. Very smart transaction.

I still say Verizon should consider buying Charter if will lead them into new markets, is right priced, and could be profitable in the long run. I think Verizon would retain, if not grow, the Charter customer base simply based on the promise of FiOS comings at some point in the future.

Our local news channel said that Charter in St Louis announced that they were not going to sell any systems at all and that at the end of bankruptcy they will come out still being the 5th largest cable system and their main focus is to eliminate debt without selling systems. Charter said they refused to sell off systems to anyone. They also said this bankruptcy would allow them to start adding services and channels as early as this time next year...yeah right!

Made me sad if its true.

I was hoping Comcast or someone else would buy Charter, but I've come to the realization that, as bad as Charter is, some other cable company would be just as bad, if not worse than Charter.

Better the devil you know.

Last edited:
I was hoping Comcast or someone else would buy Charter, but I've come to the realization that, as bad as Charter is, some other cable company would be just as bad, if not worse than Charter.

Better the devil you know.

You are wrong. They can't possibly be WORSE than Charter!

Charter's not going anywhere anyways. This is just a dirty-dog trick to blow off a bunch of debt, and leave their debt and bond holders holding the bag!

According to Multi Channel news, Charter Cable has just filled for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy today.

indeed they filed today. according to KTVI tv channel 2 Charter has plans to re-emerge from bankruptcy by December of this year. and that customers should see no change in services, employees still to get paid. heck Charter is in the middle of hiring workers for call centers in the st louis region.

personally I have my doubts that they survive IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)