Frontier Communications Files for Bankruptcy

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I think you would need a gig atleast
Nah, we are only on a 100 meg connection now and normally are under 2 meg of actual usage at any time. We are transferring under a terabyte a month.

I have some ideas floating through my head and will discuss them in the Pub Members forum when I get a chance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 12.45.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 12.45.17 PM.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 192
Reactions: ncted
I wonder what the tab is after the 2-year contract expires...

It’s probably a lot cheaper then the $470 a month we are paying now for collocation of our servers. (Which doesn’t include the $75 a month we pay to have someone on call to fix any issues that pop up)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: NYDutch
At least you could reduce your heating bill in the wintertime… ;)

Realistically, though, with modern servers ticking over at ~100 W the major power demand comes from rotational HDD. If you can afford SSDs, you might be able to break even with your electric bill in a few years. But, do your research. Maybe a hybrid with the database on AWS and you host the server that knows where everything is.

At least you could reduce your heating bill in the wintertime… ;)

Realistically, though, with modern servers ticking over at ~100 W the major power demand comes from rotational HDD. If you can afford SSDs, you might be able to break even with your electric bill in a few years. But, do your research. Maybe a hybrid with the database on AWS and you host the server that knows where everything is.
I get to do a fun build vs. buy analysis every year or so. As long as your servers need to stay up 24/7, co-location is still the way to go for virtually all implementations. Cloud continues to hover around the 2.3-2.7x cost of co-lo, depending on the application profile. Even if you go 100% cloud native and redevelop everything for that model, it is hard to get the total cost down below 2x the cost of running your own servers in a co-lo. Cloud isn't about saving money. It is about being able to deal with bursting demand. That is why companies like Netflix build their own data centers once they reach a certain size. Public clouds should be one of many tools used to build a robust infrastructure, not the only one. "Hybrid" is definitely the way to go.

If I had the money for a new server I would buy a new one. We rent a 5U space from the place we are at now and I have been happy there.

I have a number of options available to us and I am doing a lot of research and studying to see what is the best for us. No matter what we do we will be running on better hardware and what we have now. :)

And there is no saying that we don't get something and then sometime in the future that I can't host the server from home.

All in all I find this exciting and honestly the Skys the limit. If we are paying less and getting more then that's a win win to me.

Now back to studying and researching.

Not over here. But maybe it’s because GoNetspeeds have their fiber below their phone lines here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what they did here in Cheshire, too. The fiber is near the bottom of the pole, although it's along side the phone/cable lines. I just connected with them this week! Great speed, much cheaper than Cox.

Reactions: ncted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 9)