Charter's raising my internet cost.....How bad is it?

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I've had charter internet for the past 2 years. I don't have phone or TV with them, so I had to agree to a 2 year contract in order to get a discount on their internet service. I've been getting 15mb for $34.99 per month, which is a contract discount from the regular $54.99 per month price. Well my contract ends at the end of the month and my price will go to the $54.99 price. They said they no longer offer a contract or discounts. The good news is my speed will jump to the now standard speed of 30mb. But I don't want to spend another $30 per month on internet. I guess I won't have much chose unless I want to go back to the 6mb DSL (NOT). I'm just wondering how that price compares to other internet prices in other parts of the country. Is this a decent price?

That's in line with what my cable provider charges, but with them it is much slower than what you are offered.

I've got 6Mb DSL right now and it gives me 2 HD video streams and downloads all I need just fine. And I only pay $30/month for it with the current discount. At the end of the year with them, I'll put it out for bids to see which is solely in my best interest!! :)

several members here have managed to get discounts from charter.They only offer 30/100 speeds in my area,$30 first 12 mos,$40 next 12mos then who knows.I plan on haggling with them when the first 12 mos are up.

Standalone internet for the $$ & speed is a good price imo. I assume no caps or set so high it would be hard to go over. I personally don't like charter but give them an A+ for good internet.

Standalone internet for the $$ & speed is a good price imo. I assume no caps or set so high it would be hard to go over. I personally don't like charter but give them an A+ for good internet.

250Gb down cap here.Which is plenty in my book.I rate Charter ahead of ATT and that's all that matters lol.

That's the same cap we have on dsl(centurylink). 250 gb is more than enough for now, although this past month we used 108 gb which most of was streaming. Sometimes have 2 rokus going with 2 different hd programs at once.

My monthly price would be $50+ a month without a landline & speeds are only 8 mb which I am well satisfied with.

Smokey if you want to feel better about the price & speeds, just go to hughes website & compare.

I have the Charter 30mb service and within the past couple of months went back to their phone service, had another voip phone service and started having issues that were not resolved, and I receive both services for $69.98 month with a guaranteed price for 2 yrs. minimum.
Charter also supplies a modem--with no extra monthly cost--just changed this recently--used to be $5.00 month--actually the modem cost is probably built into the internet cost. I believe the internet was $59.98 and phone is $10.00 more from what I was paying.
The internet is good and phone is reliable.
I have dish for my tv service and like it very much.

Last edited:
He told me they offer discounts if I add phone and/or cable. But I currently have ooma phone which cost me around $3 a month for taxes. And I have Dish Network that I'm extreme pleased with. So I won't be combining any of those services.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Comcast internet (blast50) and cdv (phone) for 79.99mo (2nd year into price point (not contract). Was 59.99 for first year. I kinda wanna do something different, but i cant find a better promo without changing my home phone number.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

He told me they offer discounts if I add phone and/or cable. But I currently have ooma phone which cost me around $3 a month for taxes. And I have Dish Network that I'm extreme pleased with. So I won't be combining any of those services.

Same old song and dance,either ask for retention,or tell them you are going to cancel service.If that doesn't get you a discount,nothing will.

I actually told him I would be finding another provider because I couldn't pay that much. He didn't seem to care.

Did you just talk to a rep,or did you ask for retention?Still may not budge but,it should increase your chances.

Charter, at least in Ct. most everytime I ask will give a 6 month discount. I only get their internet. I do think it's fast and tests online show they are giving me at least what they say in speed. I wish there was competition here like in Florida where I also live. But it could be worse, they could charge what they do and not deliver on the promised speed. Unless I go back to DSL, or go satellite, there isn't another player.

Charter, at least in Ct. most everytime I ask will give a 6 month discount.
Please let us know if this applies when your 6 months are up.

I was getting a discount until recently through Charter for internet only . My price went from $32 a couple of months ago (at 18 mb) to $44 last month to $55+ this month at 30mb. They said I could get 15 mb for $47+. What a joke! The woman couldn't have cared less if I cancelled or not. I did not ask for retention, but I'm now looking at other options (which don't seem good at all at this point).

Frontier is $39.95 per month for a year and $59.95 after 12 months, or I can bundle with Dish. I told him I had 200 plus Blockbuster at home and 2 HD receivers. He said the first year for both internet (10 mb) and Dish would be $88.94 per month--which seems incredible since my Dish bill is over that. I've read of the problems of bundling, but for that price, I'm considering it. I suppose though that I'd get a different account number rendering 5 EHDs useless.

Anyway, I'd like to know if Charter is still giving discounts, because they say they aren't, and they used to offer me one just for calling.

I have Comcast Business Service, which is custom configured. As I'm retired now from the business, I'm not sure how long I will maintain this.

The basic charge is $139.99.

It includes 30Mbs down, 15Mbs up. One Domain name hosting of 10Gb storage and 4 e-mail accounts with 10Gb storage each, MS Exchange service
Static IP is +14.95 per mo but I don't have that. Bandwidth per month is 1Tb before additional charges.
One hour response time on service calls, personal AE to handle phone support.

If I replace this with consumer account- I could be paying $109.99 for 50Mbs down, 10 Mbs up 250 Gb per month cap no hosting and no domain. I would need to host my one domain with another service Like Go Daddy etc. at best $9.99 per month. To really cut cost would be the $70/mo plan which is 16Mbs down and 5 Mbs up. I think this would be too slow for my Vudu and Netflix streaming requirements. The top tier is 100 Mbs down and 20Mbs upload for $200 per month.

I have Comcast Business Service, which is custom configured. As I'm retired now from the business, I'm not sure how long I will maintain this.

The basic charge is $139.99.

It includes 30Mbs down, 15Mbs up. One Domain name hosting of 10Gb storage and 4 e-mail accounts with 10Gb storage each, MS Exchange service
Static IP is +14.95 per mo but I don't have that. Bandwidth per month is 1Tb before additional charges.
One hour response time on service calls, personal AE to handle phone support.

If I replace this with consumer account- I could be paying $109.99 for 50Mbs down, 10 Mbs up 250 Gb per month cap no hosting and no domain. I would need to host my one domain with another service Like Go Daddy etc. at best $9.99 per month. To really cut cost would be the $70/mo plan which is 16Mbs down and 5 Mbs up. I think this would be too slow for my Vudu and Netflix streaming requirements. The top tier is 100 Mbs down and 20Mbs upload for $200 per month.

16MB/sec down is more than enough for VuDu and Netflix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)