Cheapest Way to Get SkyAngel Setup

andrews777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 5, 2004
I would like to get my sister setup to get SkyAngel as cheaply as possible. She already has my old 4000 receiver (though it hasn't been connected/updated in 3 years and I am not sure it works), but nothing else. I may have a 21 switch laying around.

Top60 w/locals plus SkyAngel would run $50-60 a month, and that seems a bit high for her (especially since I would have to pay it), but that would give her a leased 522 or 625. I suspect cobbling a system together would end up costing at least 2-3 months of that.

Brad

If all you want is Sky Angel for your sister, all you need is a single dish pointed at 61.5 with a simple single or dual LNB hooked up to your old 4000 receiver.

If you want AT60+Locals+Sly Angel, that can get complicated and expensive depending on where you live (where your locals are) in the sky. What city/local area would you need?

See ya
Tony

If all you get is Sky Angel, Dish cannot charge the $5 fee :)

so it would be 11.99 + taxes

TNGTony is right....all you need is a simple dish that can work with 61.5

if all you need is a dish, PM me...I have a few laying around :D

It is in the Columbus, Ohio area.

I will be sending a PM shortly. :)

I do have "approval" from Dish to add an additional "new" account under my name. That is more than I want to pay, but if the cost of cobbling something together is too high, I will consider that route, if I do this at all. :)

Brad

Okay, Columbus has locals at 105°, so this will complicate the set-up a little. AT60 channels are at 119° and Sky Angel channels are at 61.5°. So you need to "see" all three satellites to get all three services.

To get all three you will most likely need a 105° SuperDish and a second 18" dish. You will also need a DP34 (or 44) switch and a DP adaptor for your 4000 receiver.

May I suggest that if your sister has never had Dish that you make an account in HER name and just pay the bill for her. The advantage is that if you do this, you qualify for "new customer" deals that would most likely be much cheaper than the above.

To JUST get Sky Angel is simple and cheap especially if Iceburg can get you a dish and LNB.

See ya
Tony

I have a contact within Dish that can get me a "new customer" signup, even though it would be in my name since I would qualify and pay for it, but I prefer the cheaper approach if Iceburg has a way. :)

If I go with the new account, we would probably throw away the 4000. :)

=====

It looks like I may be able to go the super cheap route with some help from Iceburg. :)

Now to find a cheap 301 or 322. :)

Brad

Just added sky angel to my set up with an old 3700 receiver, that i have had laying around for 2 years. locked it on 61.5, had it up and running with a subscription only with skyangel, dish even sent me an updated smart card. took about an hour to install today since had to set up with dish then set up for re-activation with skyangel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts