Check your 922 logs - FAIL UNMOUNT COUNTER

kcolg30

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 24, 2010
earth
I just checked my 922 logs and it shows FAILED UMOUNT COUNTER = 3. What does this mean and why does it show it. My unit is 2 weeks old and apparently new. This is found in the diagnostic menu under counters.

What does your 922 read on your units counter for FAILED UNMOUNT?

Only guessing, but mounting can sometimes refer to hard drives. But to fail an unmount seems like a double-negative.

Found this on google:
unmount means "to make inaccessible" in simple terms

you have to mount it to read it or write to it. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with physically inserting or removing it. It is a filesystem thing.

mount = make accessible
unmount = make inaccessible (as you would do in preparation for physically disconnecting)
But it is about SD card memory.

I do have an attached EHD (External Hard Drive) which goes to sleep (low power) when not used, so that might be part of the issue with the 922. Sometimes it fails to be seen on the EHD Drop-down on the DVR Menu. Maybe it has done that... 39 times?

Like Gary, I'm guessing.
As a unix/linux professional, I suspect this is related to the nightly reboot of the receiver. The 922's operating system is linux based. During normal operation most of the file systems are "mounted" and available for reading and writing by the 922's operating system. During shutdown (or reboot), linux will attempt to unmount all of the file systems cleanly. This process closes the file systems and marks them as "clean". Upon restart, when linux finds a file system marked as "clean" it just mounts and starts using it.
However, sometimes on shutdown, a file system will be too busy to unmount, or will not respond fast enough (like an EHD that has gone to sleep). The file system unmount process will time-out and the receiver will reboot having "Failed to Unmount" one or more file systems. This usually isn't a big deal. On restart, linux will find the file systems are not marked "clean", and depending on the file system type, it will either run a file system check (fsck) or replay the file system logs to verify the file systems are intact before mounting them. File system checks make the boot process a little slower, but usually don't indicate a serious problem.

Cool description. Wish I knew more about linux, and have only toyed with it. Your explanations seem to corroborate what happens on my nightly refresh, and why some days it fails to show the sleepy EHD, and most days it does show it. I never worry about it on the odd day when missing, as it always comes back the next day. I still have a count of 39, and can still see my EHD today. And 39 seems likely the number of days that it might have gone missing since I got my 922.