Chicago area outdoor OTA roof antenna recommendations

skipswift

Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Ohio
Hello. I think I'm going to purchase a home in the West Town neighborhood of downtown Chicago. As part of the purchase, the current owner has agreed to install an outdoor roof antenna for me and run the line down into the main cable distribution box for the house (45 ft run or so).

I don't know much about outdoor OTA roof antennas. What type of antenna should I get? I'm primarily interested in HD channels which I believe are mostly UHF but I'd like to get VHF channels too. What brand? Best place to buy? Also, should I get an amplified antenna? Please keep in mind that although it's being installed for me, I do have to pay for the antenna itself so I'm looking for something at a reasonable cost.

Any and all recommendations and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

What I would recommend is to post your tvfool report.
www.tvfool.com

That at least would help us with how far you are away from the towers and what direction they are.

All of the stations broadcast on UHF except for WBBM (CBS)....they are on 12 which is VHF. There are a couple low powered stations on VHF. One is TBN (10) and the other is some ethnic stations which is on 4 (and from what I've read is a PITA to pick up) so you will want a combination (VHF/UHF) antenna. Unless you are far out of the city and/or are going to split it to a bunch of TV's I dont think it would need to be amplified

holy frehole you are close to the towers.... ;)

you wouldn't need much of an antenna honestly. Something like a HBU22 or HBU33 would work just fine. You can get both at solidisgnal rather inexpensive
HBU22
HBU33

I use to use a HBU33 at my house. I was 29 miles from the towers here in Minneapolis and it worked great (was up on the roof about 35-40 feet)
Now I am in a apartment so I downsized to the HBU22 and it works fine (about 25 miles away now...on 3rd floor)

Thanks again Iceberg. I'll check these out.

I also need to check the local ordinances and see if there are any restrictions on antennae. In the event that there are, are there any other styles that would be good? Ie styles that can lay flat/closer in profile to the roof?

Also, it looks like the antennae you recommend are amplified? So I need a power source onthe roof? Can I amplify at the Av distribution box (45 ft run from antenna) in the house instead?

Read the sticky note at the top of this forum (OTARD). It explains how local authorities cannot prevent you from erecting a TV antenna, or restrict a reasonable antenna. There are some limitations, but I bet they don't apply to what you are planning.

Cool, I just read the sticky. Thanks jayj_n. I am still wondering about other options though, if any, because I would like the antenna to be hidden or at least aesthetically pleasing even to me.

Put a small yagi in your attic then. You have plenty of signal strength to overcome the signal loss.

Unfortunately this isn't an option -- no attic. There is a home-run from the roof straight to to the Av distribution box in the basement so I need to find an outdoor roof solution. Can I mount either of the antennae that Iceberg recommended directly against the roof or 6-10 inches off the roof vs at the end of a longer mounting pole?

Probably. You will get some ground plane effects, but frankly, with a signal like you show, you should get reception with an old coat hanger pushed in the back and tied off with dental floss.

I would put it up where it is aesthetically pleasing, and see what happens. If the signal is breaking up, add a pole and put it a bit higher.

Your problem may be too much signal. I had a customer in Houston that actually had guy wires for the tower in his yard, his dog chewed on his cable TV line. The dogs teeth made holes in the jacket and the strong TV tower signal drowned out his cable signal. Too much signal can be worse than distant signals. You would probably do great with a rabbit ear at each TV.

Thanks again Iceberg. I'll check these out.

I also need to check the local ordinances and see if there are any restrictions on antennae.

The only restriction they can put is no higher than 12 feet above the roof line. I lived in a HOA (townhouse) and my antennas were 7 feet on the roof (3 feet on the tripod and 4 feet mast)...Since you are going to be that high you wont need much height above the tripod.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts