Daytime OTA signal low last two weeks.

budda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Oconomowoc
Live in Wisconsin. City of Oconomowoc. 53066. I pull in the Milwaukee locals. Have Dish using 3 722k's with OTA Antenna. Last two to three weeks during the day signal goes from high 80's to no signal. On FOX. and drops on the others like ABC , CBS, NBC. Is in the low 90's at night. Looking for reasons why this might be. Thanks.

Live in Wisconsin. City of Oconomowoc. 53066. I pull in the Milwaukee locals. Have Dish using 3 722k's with OTA Antenna. Last two to three weeks during the day signal goes from high 80's to no signal. On FOX. and drops on the others like ABC , CBS, NBC. Is in the low 90's at night. Looking for reasons why this might be. Thanks.
Normal atmospheric changes, cold air hot air humidity all affect the signal strength on OTA signals. Watch your signal strength as a thunderstorm approaches you should see some drastic changes as it moves through.

Normal atmospheric changes, cold air hot air humidity all affect the signal strength on OTA signals. Watch your signal strength as a thunderstorm approaches you should see some drastic changes as it moves through.

do you even bother to read his post? He's in friggin Wisconsin...yeah I'm sure thunderstorms have gone through Milwaukee the last few weeks :rolleyes:

as for actually HELPING you....its very possible a bad connector and the colder temps might be screwing it up. Check all connections for possible water in them

Thanks Iceberg. I left out the Antenna is in the inside peak of attached garage. So no water issues. We have had some snow which at this time and as of about when it started the garage roof has a few inches on it but I would think that it would be affected weather it is night or day. right? I put it in the inside cuz I had a new roof put on about three years ago. Is a digy extreme fringe ant.

I'm guessing with three 722's that you also have each one hooked to one or more TV's so does the problem happen on all of them? If so then like Iceberg suggested I'd be checking all your connections. Also are you feeding each receiver with a separate cable from the OTA or with a splitter or some other way.

Thanks Iceberg. I left out the Antenna is in the inside peak of attached garage. So no water issues. We have had some snow which at this time and as of about when it started the garage roof has a few inches on it but I would think that it would be affected weather it is night or day. right? I put it in the inside cuz I had a new roof put on about three years ago. Is a digy extreme fringe ant.
Night time signals are usually stronger than daytime signals.

Are you shooting at the Milwaukee stations out of the end of a gable or through the snow covered roof?

If it is the latter, is possible that your digital signal prior to the snow accumilation on the roof was just above the digital cliff and in the day time it drops some, but it was still strong enough.

Your signals are 2 edge.

Now with the snow cover it may be right on the line of reception/no reception.

Splitting the signal to 3 TVs usually gives 1 a -3.5 dB signal and the other 2 about -7dB depending on the splitter, the roof can add up to -13dB or more.

Add the snow and who knows. I presume this did not happen last winter?

First exercise all your connections to clean off any corrosion that may have accumilated.

Are you shooting at the Milwaukee stations out of the end of a gable or through the snow covered roof?

If it is the latter, is possible that your digital signal prior to the snow accumilation on the roof was just above the digital cliff and in the day time it drops some, but it was still strong enough.

Your signals are 2 edge.

Now with the snow cover it may be right on the line of reception/no reception.

Splitting the signal to 3 TVs usually gives 1 a -3.5 dB signal and the other 2 about -7dB depending on the splitter, the roof can add up to -13dB or more.

Add the snow and who knows. I presume this did not happen last winter?

First exercise all your connections to clean off any corrosion that may have accumilated.

Thanks will give that a try this weekend and yes it is in the gable. And last year not very much snow. so hard to gauge there but I will check connections. Thanks

Well just thought I would post what I found. In my wires and stuff I have a line amp a Winegard HD-200. It has a trap switch was set to IN. Flipped it to out and that fixed everything. I have had this for 7 years and never played with the switch so I am not sure why this is the case. I did check all connections, I make my own and use professional coax ends and tools. But I checked them anyway . The switch was just something to try as I ran out of options. When I flipped the switch it was on a screen yellow that said no signal. it instantly came back. go figure. thanks for the feed back. :)

Well just thought I would post what I found. In my wires and stuff I have a line amp a Winegard HD-200. It has a trap switch was set to IN. Flipped it to out and that fixed everything. I have had this for 7 years and never played with the switch so I am not sure why this is the case. I did check all connections, I make my own and use professional coax ends and tools. But I checked them anyway . The switch was just something to try as I ran out of options. When I flipped the switch it was on a screen yellow that said no signal. it instantly came back. go figure. thanks for the feed back. :)
mice?????????????

weird.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts