Chicago NBC5 Audio hiccups

Status
Please reply by conversation.

riggscm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Granted I am all the way out in DeKalb IL but the sat signal should be the same as my fellow Illinoisans. To that end I ask said fellow Illinoisans are you all having problems with the HD version of NBC5??

I admittedly do not watch NBC much except for The Office, My Name is Earl and the Olympics, but when I do at least once every 30 -90 min there is some type of audio or video problem, or both. Now its only a slight thing, maybe a stuttered word, or a handful of latent pixels but none the less its there. Other times its quite bad with the whole screen awash in green pixels and no audio for a moment. Since the Olympic coverage began and my viewing of NBC5 has increased I have become more fixated with this issue then ever.

This issue is only experienced on the NBC5 HD station, not the SD version. This is not experienced with any other station Local or not; HD or not; OTA or not.

So tell me what you guys know, I'm just certain this is a D* problem, like a uplink or something but I'm not all that well versed in how D* is getting their signal.

Yeah, I noticed this when I was watching the Olympics last night. It lasts only for a second or two though. As far as OTA, I will have to tune in and see. I do have an OTA antenna and I currently have NBC on. I haven't noticed any problems so far, but it happens only every so often and I haven't been tuned in that long.

When I was viewing NBC OTA it happened once as well so I think its an NBC problem and not a DirecTV problem.

Ive seen/heard stuttering audio/video on WSMV NBC4 here in Nashville,TN.

In fact, I've seen that sometimes the special basketball channel that NBC has setup for the olympics has delayed audio sometimes.

It doesn't make sense to me that NBC as a whole would want their stuff to seem so crappy. I mean who wants to watch a show and have this type of thing going on. I'm thinking there is something up with the uplink. Do you guys know how D* gets its NBC local signal in the Chicago market? I thought I read once that they just have a antenna setup

It doesn't make sense to me that NBC as a whole would want their stuff to seem so crappy. I mean who wants to watch a show and have this type of thing going on. I'm thinking there is something up with the uplink. Do you guys know how D* gets its NBC local signal in the Chicago market? I thought I read once that they just have a antenna setup
I don't think its DirecTV though. I tuned in OTA and it did the same thing. Unless its just a Chicago feed.

I use OTA for locals & have noticed the same thing from time to time; the picture quality is better via an antenna but the same quirks seem to happen on both Mpeg-4 & OTA. I think that's why many here were peeved when they couldn't hook up their antenna's directly to the new HR21+ receivers.

I use OTA for locals & have noticed the same thing from time to time; the picture quality is better via an antenna but the same quirks seem to happen on both Mpeg-4 & OTA. I think that's why many here were peeved when they couldn't hook up their antenna's directly to the new HR21+ receivers.
I think the picture quality is virtually the same from DirecTV's NBC5 HD and OTA. There is a slight edge with OTA and I will usually opt for OTA when it comes to locals in HD. I did notice some slight macroblocking tonight during the Olympics when I was watching OTA.

I'm on the HR21 right now (No AM-21 yet) so can't look right now but I believe the worst signal is from DTV CBS Mpeg-4 feed; the colors seem bland & since it's a major NFL channel I have lots of stuff to compare to. Perhaps that will be the perfect feed to watch CBS Survivor 'hotties' go from babes in week 1 (1st year of HD filming) to barkers in week 10. The only thing missing will be the smells.

I'm on the HR21 right now (No AM-21 yet) so can't look right now but I believe the worst signal is from DTV CBS Mpeg-4 feed; the colors seem bland & since it's a major NFL channel I have lots of stuff to compare to. Perhaps that will be the perfect feed to watch CBS Survivor 'hotties' go from babes in week 1 (1st year of HD filming) to barkers in week 10. The only thing missing will be the smells.
Thats a bummer because I can't even get CBS over the air. A matter of fact, hardly anyone can. Hopefully all the Sunday Ticket HD games won't be bland. Perhaps DTV has issues with CBS because my neighbor who lives down the street, shes 82 years old and she said her CBS station doesn't come in good, but all the other channels come in fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts