chineselover

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2009
Dallas,TX
My wife is chinese and her mom is coming from china to help with the new baby,
Which will be born in dec,
I was wanting to get her mom some mandarin chinese tv,
Im new to this and was wondering what equipment i might need?
I found this list of free chinese channels and looks nice
at lyngsat that would work,
Also we would like to have the channels broadcast on 2 tvs in the house at once,
Anyone can help me,
Oh yeah im North Dallas,tx area,
Thanks,Chris

There's CCTV (4 channels) on Galaxy 3 ku 95degrees W. And possibly others on Galaxy 19 , which is right next door to it, at 97degrees. I would suggest looking at our sponsors sites (links at top of page) and get a complete system of dish, receiver and lnbf, I'm sure they could even sell you pre-fitted cables to make it that much easier..unless you have experience with the connectors and cabling. You might even get a personalized package if you give them a call. Those channels are standard definition, with good strong signals, a 31" dish should get them just fine. Post back if you get some ideas of what receivers, etc and somebody will give you a good opinion , and plenty of tips on installing the dish. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the tips,
I am looking around as we speak,
I have a 2 story house,
Will a 31 inch look huge on a the roof,
Could i just install it in the back yard maybe?

ETTV channels (Taiwan?) are up on 121W on C-band (requires 6 foot or larger dish)
3900 V 27684

Have a look at 97W for the few Chinese channels on there.
NTD
Beautiful Life
Hwazan
Dai Ai 2

95W is easy enough to hit
CCTV 4 and MAC TV are there.
I've had to work a bit to pick up MAC TV after picking up CCTV

I prefer my dishes on or near the ground.

The Dish antenna depends wether the intended channels are on C-band or Ku Band. for C dish is minimum 6 ft , for Ku a 90 cm Dish is recomended. The receiver could be any DVB digital receiver since more likely those channels are not HD. for a 2 tvs solution it depends wether you want every tv to tune in to a different channel all the time , in that case you need 2 receivers , 1 at each tv and a switch matrix or in plain language a combination of switches. It also depends of how many satellites you require to point to.

If this is the link you were looking at , Free TV from China - LyngSat , keep in mind that most channels on that list are broadcasted via Asian Satellites therefore they do not cover the US territory. I just went through the list and I am affraid that the only Tv from China available in the US via this FTA satellites is CCTV , wether they broadcast in mandarin or cantonese I have no idea. On 95W , CCTV has channel 4 and 9 and also the Spanish and french versions (I enjoyed the world acrobatics competition held in China that they broadcasted recently BTW). A 90 cm dish is fine for those and since they are on the same transponder you can use the loop out feature of the first receiver and slave the second one so you save on the switch. for the same reason a single Standard Ku LNB is enough. Only 1 satellite , 95W , so a single fixed dish is enough but a motor will give you the possibility to watch something else in other languages from other sats. As a general rule for most US viewers Line of Sight should be anywhere from 15W to 148 W so the satellite has to be located within those limits at least. Then make sure the beam reported by lyngsat covers the US territory , then check which band it uses. C band , frecuencies are around 4000 Mhz , Ku-Band around 12 000 Mhz.

I almost forgot , Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy the stay.

holy smokes! , by the time it took me to read , research and reply , 2 people already anwsered the questions , lol.

I have my 90 cm motorized on the back yard on a tripod. check www.dishpointer.com as it lists all the pointing data required and also it tells you if there are obstacles in your way. it even has a google earth satellite view, very helpful indeed.

Thanks for all the help,
We are wanting the channels shanghai tv and shangdong tv and etc,
Mainly only reason we want this satellite is for chinese tv,
Originally was gonna get direct tv chinese mandrian tv,
It is like 8 to 10 chinese channels for $20 a month,
So i cant get many of these in usa on lyngsat list,
Not sure what to do now,
Thanks,Chris

The MandarinDirect III $19.99/mo looks about good as i can get,
DIRECTV: Mandarin
Unless these bigger dishes have paied channles i can buy,
Do they sale packages on the 31 inch satellites,
Thanks,Chris

too little, too late:

I don't pay attention to Chinese programming, so I have no real idea.
But, if I want to know something like this . . . here's what I'd do:

For Ku band (small dish) you could go to this page, and click on Chinese language on the right.
For C-band, you could look at this page of Global's listings.
Either are less trouble than digging through all the Lyngsat info.

Once you've decided on programming you want, post the list and get someone to verify they can still get it today.
(things do change)
You may be able to get enough variety to satisfy Mom, without going over to the dark side (subscription TV).

Also on Ku, there are pay channels from Globecast.
I didn't search through them to see if they had what you want; I consider it a last resort. - :cool:

Thanks for the links,
I am checking them out,
Just found this satellite now,
Receive both C & KU Band Free To Air signals from several satellites,
C-Band Satellite System
It looks to pick up more chinese channels like i wanted,
But little more costly,
I will keep reading and searching,
Also noticed all the chinese channels listed here Shanghai tv and Shandong tv etc are c & ku band,
Should i be able to pick them with what i listed above,
Thanks,

Welcome to the forum!

You may be able to find dishes for free. You will most likely have to buy a receiver (might be able to find some good stuff on ebay), but there all a lot of dishes sitting around people's houses/roofs that never get used. So far, all my dishes (3) have been free. If I were you I would spend some time trying to find an old Primestar dish (work very good for FTA) or something similar that someone will give to you or sell for cheap. I prefer everything on the ground so I don't have to climb on the roof a lot, but it's really your preference. I'm going to get a dish today and the only thing I have to do for it is go on the person's roof to take it off and caulk over the holes left from the mounting hardware. If you would rather just get it all at once and don't want to hunt, then a package is probably what you want. Either way, all your questions can be answered here so keep posting!

Check out Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com
You can pretty much pin point your dish location and there is an obstacle tool that shows you what the maximum height of an object can be before it gets in the line of sight (LOS) of your dish.

I would be willing to pay if i could get most of these channels on this link,
Free TV from China - LyngSat
A channel i know i want is Shanghai tv since my wife and her mom are from there,
I notice most chinese channels are
Chinasat 6B and Chinasat 9 and Ku and C,
The eariler post i posted said there satellite did both ku and c,
http://sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Satellite-systems/C-Band-Satellite-System.htm
So this sadoun company one looks pretty good,
What does everyone else think,
Looks like there could be a powerfully enuff satellite out there to reach some channels i want,
Like i said im willing to pay for some good channels,
So any old satellite will work with a new updated good receiver,
Thanks for everyones links and help so far,

Last edited:
Almost all of those channels are not broadcast over North America so you won't be able to receive them.

The thing to do is go to ftalist.com and choose list FTA channels by language and choose Chinese. There are very few available through FTA in North America. That list doesn't have C-band stuff in it (C-band uses the huge dishes) but only Ku-band stuff (31" dish or bigger).

I'm not sure what pay service offers Chinese packages; you may end up having to go with that Directv package you found. If you are looking for purely free channels, it looks like there are not very many to choose from.

After reading around a bit dishnetwork seems like the best deal,
Seem as kylintv has too many people complaints,
I found this on lyngsat Dishnetwrok on anik F3 Echostar 7,
LYNGSAT*LOGO*-* DISH Network on Anik F3 & EchoStar 7
This looks like a good deal and has Shanghai tv,
But i go to Dishnetwork site and they show no Shanghai tv on there listings,
I read they had this channel but its not on there offical site,
Also found this listing on lynsat that looks good,
DISH Network on Anik F3 & EchoStar 7 at 119.0°W - LyngSat
Is either of them listings of channels dishnetwork packages i could get or would i need a echostar satellite to get them,

Here are the subscription packages at 119W: Anik F3 & EchoStar 7 & DirecTV 7S at 119.0°W - LyngSat

Click on the red and white "P" icon to see all the channels on each transponder. Most anything you see on the Dish Network packages you should be able to subscribe to.

You may get more helpful information in the Dish Network section of satelliteguys: The Dish Network Forum - SatelliteGuys.US

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Anik F3/Echostar 7/DirecTV 7S are all the same satellite. Each name refers to a different set of transponders (TPs) on that satellite. The link I gave shows everything on 119W, regardless if it's from Anik F3, Echostar 7, or DirecTV 7S. I am assuming this from the observation that I don't see how 3 satellites could occupy the same location simultaneously.

Last edited:
KyLinTV appears to be delivered across YOUR internet connection, not by satellite:
KyLinTV >> What Is KyLinTV >> How To Use
So, I suspect how well it works, depends a lot on your internet speed.
Some such systems degrade the picture if your connection is slow.
How well this particular service works, would have to be tested on -your- hookup, to know.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)