China to build BD players next year

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
That would be like me asking you to prove that all these players that can’t decode internally HD audio will be paired with the newest AVR that will allow customers to enjoy half the HD experience. I’m pretty sure that polling done by BD shows that there is a growing interest for 2.0 features, or else they wouldn’t be increasing its exposure through advertising and additional releases.

Even those HDM players (both formats) that have internal decoding aren't all hooked up correctly to take full advantage of their capabilities. And those HD DVD players aren't all hooked up to the internet either. There's a better chance of a game machine (360 or PS3) being hooked up than a SA player, especially for J6P.

The timeline for 2.0 was set for October 08. They are right on schedule. The PS3 has already been updated, the BD1500 just needs the firmware update, the BD50 should roll out in June, followed by the two Sony models (one bitstream and one full decoding).

S~

Now we're going from 1% to 0.05%. Some evidence would be nice, links to sales stats, etc. Since the introduction of HDM, the sales of receivers with advanced decoding have led all receiver sales and continue to increase. CE manufacturers look for J6P to upgrade their components much more frequently than the high end user, an average of 2-3 years. None of the high-end pre/pros at this time offer advanced decoding (I don't consider Denon high end. Mid-range). Most don't even offer an HDMI solution. Lexicon has no announcement at this time and the Krell keeps getting pushed, if you want to pay 28K.

How may J6P's even have their equipment hooked up properly? There are a lot of HDM users here, at AVS, and other sites who simply run their player into their TV or use an optical connection.

No one disagrees that internal decoding of all advanced audio codecs is not important. The fact is until recently there has been no chipset that can handle it. I need one for my Lexicon. I don't need it for my Integra. There is a market for both. What may not feed your needs, may fit someone else's.

S~
You've never made a post with your personal opinion. Just like with BD vs HD DVD sales number in the warzone there is no true source for the question you ask me. Logic will tell you with all the years that AVR has been out there will be more without the ability to decode HD audio then with it, considering the recent release of the new AVR that can decode.

The timeline for 2.0 was set for October 08. They are right on schedule. The PS3 has already been updated, the BD1500 just needs the firmware update, the BD50 should roll out in June, followed by the two Sony models (one bitstream and one full decoding).

S~
If that timeline came true that would be a step in the right direction, but who wants to pay $700 for a BD50 or simular. But wait you guys keep saying that 1.1 was the final standard if so then why would there be a October 08 timeline. See how someone can be confused by all this profile crap. If the Chinese release 1.1 players next year when they are scheduled to hit the US that will serve to confuse this profile even more.

"Eleven Chinese disc manufacturers, including TCL, Malata and Desay, have been authorized by Blu-ray Disc Association to produce Blue-Ray discs, CDs, and disc players next year."

You've never made a post with your personal opinion.

Sure, but my personal opinion is based on the fact that this is what I do for a living.

If that timeline came true that would be a step in the right direction, but who wants to pay $700 for a BD50 or simular. But wait you guys keep saying that 1.1 was the final standard if so then why would there be a October 08 timeline. See how someone can be confused by all this profile crap. If the Chinese release 1.1 players next year when they are scheduled to hit the US that will serve to confuse this profile even more.

The problem is, everyone wants DVD player prices 10 years after they were adopted. Yes, the Panasonic will be 699, but the Sony will be 499. In less than two years, player prices have dropped 40-60%. You say player prices have risen since X-MAS, but the players on sale then were the old 1.0 Samsung 1400 and Sony 300.

Player profiles haven't panned out to be as confusing as everyone, including myself, initially believed. There is always a need for a variety of product to meet consumer needs. Not everyone will want internal decoding, many will. Not everyone will want internet connectivity, some will. Many will be happy with their 1.0 player they initially purchased. Toshiba did the same thing with their players. The unfortunate part was, they were the only player in the game. I would like to see some low end players like the A2/3 to meet those customers needs as the majority of people only have a 720p set anyways.

S~

Sure, but my personal opinion is based on the fact that this is what I do for a living.

The problem is, everyone wants DVD player prices 10 years after they were adopted. Yes, the Panasonic will be 699, but the Sony will be 499. In less than two years, player prices have dropped 40-60%. You say player prices have risen since X-MAS, but the players on sale then were the old 1.0 Samsung 1400 and Sony 300.
DVD was revolutionary BD is an upgrade, in most product history upgrades don’t justify such a price difference. If BD projected a holographic image ala Star Wars then I could see $700+ but not for something that is so close to DVD and even closer to upconvert.

BD licenses reportedly granted to 11 China makers

Nother article.

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), in light of the large market potential of BD products in China, has granted licenses to 11 China-based manufacturers allowing them to undertake R&D, production and marketing of BD discs, players or drives, according to media reports from China.
According to the reports, Masayuki Kozuka, general manager for Matsushita Electric Industrial's (Panasonic's) Storage Device Business Strategy Office and a BDA official, disclosed details of new licenses during his attendance at the 2008 CHITEC high-tech fair and forum which took place in Beijing, China, last week.
The 11 makers include TCL, Malata, China Hualu Panasonic AVC Networks (a joint venture between Panasonic and the China-based Hualu Group) and Desay, according to industry sources in Taiwan. The licensees will focus on the design of BD movie players using technologies transferred from Japan-based partners. Volume production is expected to begin in 2009, the sources indicated.

Looks like they are coming. Using Panny's uniphier chip?

Were you on Mars the last week or so when Panasonic revealed the $700 BD50 or Pioneers pair for $600 abd $800 respectively? Where were you when the report came out that BD prices have risen since New Years? Each time you make one of these outlandish comments your credibility continues to take a noise dive. Its really sad that the other usual suspects would rather be your yes man rather than call you on your BS. Remember your recent post(above) when the BD50 was released.

The lube comment was a joke you goof, and if you look at prices of current players, they are coming down.

Price is not an issue for me because I dont center on it, I almost considered buying a BD50 if it would of given me anything more. The fact you can buy a few players at walmart for under $400 now is a GOOD thing.

I used to be one of those guys that shopped out for the $89 dvd player and frowned on the $400 Denon and the $220 Oppo. One thing Ive learned in the past two years or so is that I was missing out on better players. Yes, the $89 player is just fine, but there will always be a market for the $400 player, and Im in that section now. Way I see it, is I did not spend $2500 on a tv (getting ready to spend $450 more on calibration) to skimp put on the video. If it costs me $200-300 more for improved PQ, Ill gladly pay it.

I personally hope the chinese players show up cheap with bells on. I also hope they are good reliable players that draw people in to Blu-ray.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts