Chip speed for TT3200

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Cloud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Did I err?

Right now I am hurrying up and waiting for my XP delivery from Newegg. In the meantime I note on the Technotrend website a recommendation that the cpu speed minimum should be 3 or 4 Ghz for HD.

The chip I bought for my build is an AMD Phenom II quad core running at 2.8 Ghz.

For the experienced guys out there, did I blow it with this chip? Should I have popped for a faster one? Will it work on S-2?

Did I err?

Right now I am hurrying up and waiting for my XP delivery from Newegg. In the meantime I note on the Technotrend website a recommendation that the cpu speed minimum should be 3 or 4 Ghz for HD.

The chip I bought for my build is an AMD Phenom II quad core running at 2.8 Ghz.

For the experienced guys out there, did I blow it with this chip? Should I have popped for a faster one? Will it work on S-2?

I have the Athlon AMD X2 5200 duo core and it works fine on DVB-S2.
(believe it's 2.7 Ghz)

Thanks for the responses. The Gigabyte motherboard I used has an on board video card and I will be adding an additional ATI Radeon 4670 to it.

I hope that card will take some of work off of the CPU . and get me what I need for it.

Thanks again.

The AMD CPUs are rated a bit differently than the Intel chips.
AMD incorporates a lot of different tech to improve the CPU performance without adding higher clockrates (and increasing the heat). Intel tends to bump the clock faster with their stuff.
The Phenom is a monster CPU for desktop use - I doubt you'll have a speed issue with it.

Motherboard video is fine for a Windows desktop.
It sux for real-time gaming or advanced video tasks.
Though, it might be fine for simple video duties.
(I've done some video editing with motherboard-video on my dual Opteron server)

When you choose a card, get one appropriate for what you are doing.
For instance, a top-end gaming card might cost you more and do no better than a mid-line card, for video processing.
Get the facts, either from some of the experts on the forum or do your own research on the review sites (Tomshardware.com and others).
I'm an nVidia guy, and prefer XFX brand, but that may not be the best answer for you! :cool:

Did I err?

Post back when you are all done and let us know how it works.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned about your choice of DVB-S card than your CPU speed. At this point in time most of the newer CPUs are fast enough to provide pretty good performance as long as you don't select something on the very bottom end performance wise. Have you purchased the TT3200 yet? If not there are much better choices out there. The TT3200 was okay when it was the only game in town as far as DVB-S2, but now that there are more DVB-S2 solutions available it's clear it sucks big time when it comes to locking 8psk signals. As far as DVB-S2 capable devices go I own a Pansat 9000, a Coolsat 8000, a Dvbwolrd DVB-S2 usb device, a TBS8920 DVB-S2 PCI card, a TT3200, and a TT3600. When it comes to performance in terms of being able to lock 8psk signal the Technotrends devices are at the bottom of the barrel and will give me problems on singals all of those others are able to lock error free. The TT3600 seems to be a bit better than the TT3200 in this regard but is still worse than all the others and it has a serious issue that affects it's ability to work with high data rate feeds (like anything that's 8psk with a high symbol rate). So if your not yet commited to the TT3200, consider either the Dvbworld usb box or the TBS8920, because in my opion both of those are much better choices. The TBS8920 is particularly interesting because the manufacturer is working on TSreader support and already has an experimental source module available for it. Tsreader support was the only remaining reason to continue using the tt3200. So, this development makes the TT3200 obsolete and pointless. Just a couple days ago, I pulled my TT3200 out and replaced it with a TBS8920 and am quite pleased with the result.

Tsreader support was the only remaining reason to continue using the tt3200. So, this development makes the TT3200 obsolete and pointless. Just a couple days ago, I pulled my TT3200 out and replaced it with a TBS8920 and am quite pleased with the result.

So, what are you asking for your TT3200?

Stefan,
I already bought my tt3200 a month ago.

this was after a month of research into what would work best for me. In truth, I have not heard of the tbs unit until you referred to it in your post.

I probably want to wait about 8 months before I decide to upgrade - to give time for any new unit to run the gauntlet of bugs and issues. But I appreciate the input.

The TBS8920 is particularly interesting because the manufacturer is working on TSreader support and already has an experimental source module available for it. Tsreader support was the only remaining reason to continue using the tt3200.

Is the TSReader support module available online somewhere?

Do you want to start a new thread talking about this card? I see these on eBay all the time and it is good to hear they at least have preliminary TSReader support.

I think others would enjoy hearing more, especially if it has a more sensitive tuner than the S2-3200.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts