Please Help!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

AdamJonny

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Somewhere
Please help! I have my current setup all working, but have been scouting out for 10' dish setups. I got a call today from someone that has a Winegard 10’ dish and two Panasonic receivers that I can have, just need to come pick it up :D. I know that the small Winegard dishes are good, but don’t know about the 10’ dish. Also I only have a station wagon and am wondering how hard it is going to be to take apart to transport. I am fairly handy so if it can be done, I am the one to do it! Please help, any info please!

Winegards are great dishes, go for it! Should come apart in 4-6 petals once you get it off the mount. The petals might be a little wide on the big end, for a station wagon but you might can make 'em fit in (string and tie-wire!!) If its not damaged it will be a nice dish for you. Disassembly is not complicated. Motor off dish (prop dish or hold it so it don't fall), dish off mounting ring, take apart. Loosen bolts on mount, lift off the pipe and load it all up. The lnb support is prob 4 support arms that bolt onto dish-sections, no problem.

Great! I think I am going to pick it up this weekend... load the wagon up with lots of string and tools ;)

They have good mesh for ku also. I think Linuxman , one of our members here, has one of them. In fact, I think he has one of everything!

If it's a 4 piece mesh dish you may need to put the panels on top of the station wagon. If it's an 8 piece perforated "Pinnacle" Winegard you may be able to get the panels inside.

If its a 4 piece BUD then the sections are going to be 5'x5', which might fit diagonally in a station wagon.

My 4 piece 10' BUD required me to rent a trailer.

Or you could rent a truck from Home Depot for about 50 bucks.

Brett

Last edited:
Stogie and I were barely able to fit the four petals from a Perfect 10 7.5 foot dish I got from him in the back of my wagon, but I have one of those "compact" Cavalier wagons from the 90s. Sounds like the Perfect 10s and the Winegards are similar in construction.

I used an open trailer to move a 12' Paraclipse dish without taking anything apart. We just lifted the dish off of it's mount and laid it flat on the trailer pointing up. This saved a lot of dis-assembly and re-assembly time.

... Sounds like the Perfect 10s and the Winegards are similar in construction.

They are. Dad has a Winegard and I have a Perfect 10. The Winegard has a round rod that goes through the ribs about halfway out from the center point. Other than that they are hard to tell apart.

Just got off the phone with the guy and he said it was in 4 sections. Our wagon is not that big (2000 Ford Focus). Heading out Saturday to pick it up. Any recommendations on tools to bring? As it looks now I will need a ladder, WD40 and a couple of wrenches... Also, I know that you all have been saying that it is hard to fit the 4 section dish in a car like the wagon, but do you think there is any chance or should I just come with a bunch of rope and cardboard to strap it to the roof? :)

If it's close by, stop the day before and spray the bolts with Lube (not wd40)
Most of the hardware will probably break, keep a few of each as samples.
Bring a whole Socket Set if possible, along with wrenches and Vice Grips, maybe even a hack saw.

I would plan on strapping it to your roof, just be careful not to hit the mesh.
Bring a bunch of old towels or cardboard to layer between the Pedals, and for the roof.

Ok, I went to get the dish and I could not get it apart, so I am leaving it. Now I have a new problem... I the recent high wind storms, my 90cm Ku band dish got blown out of alignment. I went to attach the dish to our chimney and did not change any settings on the dish. It took me a while to get it aligned to my true south (AMC 16 85W) at which point I went to check my alignment to the arch. This is where the problem starts. I can get most of the satellites in the arch, but the quality is crap. My true south is good. I didn't change anything from before and it worked good before the storm. I went to a satellite at 129 and rechecked my alignment and it seems to be off? I don't know what happened between when I installed it and when I moved it, but all I should have had to do is pan the dish East and West to hit true south, which I did... The pole is good and straight, within a 1/2 of a degree. Any ideas what to do?

Was it working ok before you moved it-but after the wind storms?? Guessing, could strong winds have warped your dish?

Was it working ok before you moved it-but after the wind storms?? Guessing, could strong winds have warped your dish?
Don't know, before it worked fine never tryed it after the storm, just know it blew it from about 85 to about 65. Don't know if the dish is warped, guess it could be.

I think I would try a little harder on alignment, then if you give up, maybe put it back where it was (when it worked before) and see if it will work properly there again. Then at least you'll know the dish is or isn't ok.

Maybe an alignment problem... realigned and get quality around 50 - 70 for 72w - 107.3w then anything further, the quality is somewhere around the 30's. I have tried several times and I think the dish is just catching too much wind. Any thoughts?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)