Choosing the right DirecTV package

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Yankeefan3783

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
I'm currently in the process of switching over from Dish Network to DirecTV. I seem to be stuck on which package I should order. I'm looking at either the Choice Ultimate or the Premier and their current promotions.

The Premier package starts at $59.99 for 5 months with NFL ticket. It seems that it offers all the premium movie channels as well as the sports pack in this package.

Not being a hardcore football fan and not needing any premium movie channels, would I be better off signing up for the Choice Ultimate and adding on the Sports Pack (12.99)? It doesn't seem like I lose many channels that I watch in this case. The HD channels I'd be losing out on would only be the premium movie channels.

Also, being a soccer fan, if I choose Choice Ultimate with the Sports Pack, will I be able to watch the 5 live Champions League matches that give every game day? Unfortunately, the website isn't clear on this and I called Directv but they weren't really able to answer it.

-Thanks

Seeing your NOT a NFL fan, the package with the NFL would not help you much.
It gives you the NFL and the rest of the channels, except PPV's.
IF I were you, I would call in and tell them you like the plan, but are NOT a NFL fan and see what they will offer you, they may give you the Premier package for 3-4 months and when that deal is done, move down to what you want, this way you get to see all the channels for a bit.

As for the Soccer, What channel are these games normally on ?

Depends what soccer you're after.

If it's the English league and you want it all, you may want to get Choice Extra, then add the Sports Pack ($12) for Fox Soccer Channel/Gol Tv and Fox Soccer Plus ($15) but when you're making your inquiry about FSP ask about a credit. They may give you $10 off a month the Sports Pack for 6 months.

That will also get you all the Champions League and Europa League games

Thanks everyone. I did call Direct, and they said unfortunately the only promotion they have to offer for premier is their current one with the Sunday ticket.

As for the soccer, the EPL games shown on Fox Soccer Channel are plenty for me (I believe ESPN 2 shows an occasional game as well), plus all the games Gol TV broadcasts. Basically, my main concern is the Champions League and whether I can get all the games (that Direct carries) with the Choice Ultimate package. I think I figured it out though:

UEFA Champions League

Tune in to channels 480-488
DIRECTV offers the most live matches from the UEFA Champions League. You get 68 playoff and group matches — 60 of which you can only see with DIRECTV - and 5 live group matches every tournament day, compliments of DIRECTV. Other Champions League matches require purchase of SPORTS PACK and Fox Soccer Plus.

So if I'm reading this right, I should be able to watch these Champions League games regardless of which package I choose. I will definitely be adding the Sports Pack, not sure about Fox Soccer Plus just yet.

Thanks everyone. I did call Direct, and they said unfortunately the only promotion they have to offer for premier is their current one with the Sunday ticket.

As for the soccer, the EPL games shown on Fox Soccer Channel are plenty for me (I believe ESPN 2 shows an occasional game as well), plus all the games Gol TV broadcasts. Basically, my main concern is the Champions League and whether I can get all the games (that Direct carries) with the Choice Ultimate package. I think I figured it out though:

UEFA Champions League

Tune in to channels 480-488
DIRECTV offers the most live matches from the UEFA Champions League. You get 68 playoff and group matches — 60 of which you can only see with DIRECTV - and 5 live group matches every tournament day, compliments of DIRECTV. Other Champions League matches require purchase of SPORTS PACK and Fox Soccer Plus.

So if I'm reading this right, I should be able to watch these Champions League games regardless of which package I choose. I will definitely be adding the Sports Pack, not sure about Fox Soccer Plus just yet.

Looks like 489 also has UEFA programming.
Currently they all say To Be Announced, till more games are scheduled I would imagine.

The -1 channel will show HD versions ..... 480-1 has a banner talking about it, while 480 does not.

Looks like 489 also has UEFA programming.
Currently they all say To Be Announced, till more games are scheduled I would imagine.

The -1 channel will show HD versions ..... 480-1 has a banner talking about it, while 480 does not.

Thanks. If it's in HD even better. The Champions League games are Tuesdays and Wednesdays, while Europa League games are on Thursdays. Probably why nothing on the those channels when there's no games.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts