Chris Coghlan is getting NO respect..!!

...all the players people have heard of.

The Marlins are not on national TV because their home games are depressing to watch...even when they have a good crowd the football stadium seems empty. Hopefully the new stadium will change that.

The perception is that the Marlins are also a transient franchise, with no identity. The fans are transient, an incredible amount of them come to the stadium to root for the visitors. And the players are transient as well. Their stars have been shipped away early in their careers in the past, and the feeling is that it will happen again.

This is why people don't want to invest a lot of time in the team, both from a local and national standpoint.

Sandra

What does this have to do with Coghlan not getting any ROY respect? And respect it should be getting due to the fact that they have 1/8 the payroll alot of teams have and they are STILL in contention? EVERYONE knows the issues that the Marlins have drawning fans to the stadium. But that does not take away the fact that this kid is getting no respect and neither is the team.

IF NON-LOCAL stations have issues showing them because of how empty home games look...show them on the road. But they won't even do that. They would rather show a Red Sox vs some non-contention team or the Yankees vs some non-contention...why, because ESPN is the Red Sox/Yankees/Big Ten Football network. And Fox Baseball is the Red Sox/Yankees network.:rant:

What does this have to do with Coghlan not getting any ROY respect?

You correctly pointed out the Marlins are not on national TV, which is one of the reasons few have heard of this guy. My post points out why they are not on national TV...because of the transient nature of the franchise. So it has much to do with why he is not getting any respect.

IF NON-LOCAL stations have issues showing them because of how empty home games look...show them on the road. But they won't even do that.

Being on TV is not so much about the stadium, it's more about TV ratings. Networks tend to show teams that draw ratings, and ESPN and Fox don't believe the Marlins will draw ratings. Again, see my point as to the transient nature of the franchise as to why.

It's not about championships either. Regardless of their record, networks do not like to show teams that people don't watch.

They would rather show a Red Sox vs some non-contention team or the Yankees vs some non-contention...why, because ESPN is the Red Sox/Yankees/Big Ten Football network. And Fox Baseball is the Red Sox/Yankees network.

Again, the networks show the teams that draw ratings. Having said that, I honestly don't recall the Yankees being on ESPN Sunday night baseball more than a few times this season. You make it sound like they're on every Sunday night, and they're not...far from it actually.

ESPN spreads it around pretty nicely (except for the Marlins of course), they are hardly the Yankees/Red Sox network.

Fox shows regional games on Saturday, they usually produce three games at a time. They don't show the Yankees or Red Sox as much as you make it sound either, and even when they do, that doesn't mean everyone is seeing it.

Sandra

Last edited:
You correctly pointed out the Marlins are not on national TV, which is one of the reasons few have heard of this guy. My post points out why they are not on national TV...because of the transient nature of the franchise. So it has much to do with why he is not getting any respect.

I agree with you there. But that does not escape the fact that the sports sections ANYWHERE don't know about this guy. Since when does the ESPNs and CNNSI of the world NEED to see a game to check out stats.

Being on TV is not so much about the stadium, it's more about TV ratings. Networks tend to show teams that draw ratings, and ESPN and Fox don't believe the Marlins will draw ratings. Again, see my point as to the transient nature of the franchise as to why.

...and you do not believe that a team that has about an eighth of the payroll that the Yankees and Red Sox and STILL compete for the a division/wildcard...and have the one of the best pitcher in the NL and one of the top 3 players in ALL of baseball is not gonna draw ratings??!! :confused:

It's not about championships either. Regardless of their record, networks do not like to show teams that people don't watch.

If they didn't like the empty LandShark Stadium, show them on the road. They played the Phillies, Braves, Mets, Dodgers, Cubs, Cardinals, YANKEES(that's right, they played them in a 3 games series and won 2 out of 3) and Tampa on the road enough....but they were never shown.

Fox shows regional games on Saturday, they usually produce three games at a time. They don't show the Yankees or Red Sox as much as you make it sound either, and even when they do, that doesn't mean everyone is seeing it.

That all depends on where you live. Down here, the Mets OR the Yankees were ALWAYS the 1st option....followed by the Braves and Phillies. The Marlins played almost none of the home saturday games due to concerts every other saturday....but they played plenty of AWAY games....and they were never an option.

It doesn't matter who the Marlins have or how small their payroll is. They have no fans. Sure they do well as a team given their problems as opposed to teams like the Mets who completely suck. But here's the thing, the Mets have fans, why I don't know, but they do. So do the Cubs, and they suck too. No TV network is going to show a team, home or away, that doesn't have any fans. The Rays were a nice story last year, but were a disaster on TV. People in Tampa didn't even support them until late September.

The networks are always going to feature the teams that have large fanbases, ignore the others, and hope that those big market teams are good. This is why televising playoff baseball is such a crapshoot and games have migrated to cable. In the playoffs you might just have to show the Marlins or Rays or the Brewers when what you want is the Yankees and Red Sox.

...and you do not believe that a team that has about an eighth of the payroll that the Yankees and Red Sox and STILL compete for the a division/wildcard...and have the one of the best pitcher in the NL and one of the top 3 players in ALL of baseball is not gonna draw ratings??!!

Apparently not. Payroll doesn't matter when determing what teams to put on the TV schedule. Neither does their record, not directly anyway.

What matters for TV telecasts is how many people the game will attract to the television. The networks obviously feel people would rather watch teams other than the Marlins, regardless of their record. The Marlins have been on national TV in the past...in fact, I believe they were on TBS THIS YEAR, so it's not true that they haven't been on at all. Their ratings must have been bad.

It goes back to what I said, people don't want to invest their time in a transient ballclub...one that has a very chance to win the World Series this year, and history tells us could be dismantled soon anyway.

Sandra

It doesn't matter who the Marlins have or how small their payroll is. They have no fans. Sure they do well as a team given their problems as opposed to teams like the Mets who completely suck. But here's the thing, the Mets have fans, why I don't know, but they do. So do the Cubs, and they suck too. No TV network is going to show a team, home or away, that doesn't have any fans. The Rays were a nice story last year, but were a disaster on TV. People in Tampa didn't even support them until late September.

The networks are always going to feature the teams that have large fanbases, ignore the others, and hope that those big market teams are good. This is why televising playoff baseball is such a crapshoot and games have migrated to cable. In the playoffs you might just have to show the Marlins or Rays or the Brewers when what you want is the Yankees and Red Sox.

What he said...:clap

Sandra

And I can see your point on the TV ratings and whether they should be/would be and could be shown on TV.... But how is the media not giving the respect this kid deserves? What this kid has done has NOTHING to do with ratings and everything to do with how he produces on the field...

And I can see your point on the TV ratings and whether they should be/would be and could be shown on TV.... But how is the media not giving the respect this kid deserves? What this kid has done has NOTHING to do with ratings and everything to do with how he produces on the field...
I don't know. I had never heard of him. You'd think the real baseball afficianados would care about a guy who does well regardless of who he plays for (isn't that what fantasy leagues are all about). But the bottom line is baseball isn't like football or basketball where people follow great players even if they're not on their team. In baseball people care only about their team and nothing else. Since no one cares about the Marlins I guess nobody's pumping this guy up. Sort of like the saying if a tree falls in the woods and no one's around does it make a sound? Well if you hit .300 and play for the Marlins nobody cares. :D

I don't know. I had never heard of him. You'd think the real baseball afficianados would care about a guy who does well regardless of who he plays for (isn't that what fantasy leagues are all about). But the bottom line is baseball isn't like football or basketball where people follow great players even if they're not on their team. In baseball people care only about their team and nothing else. Since no one cares about the Marlins I guess nobody's pumping this guy up. Sort of like the saying if a tree falls in the woods and no one's around does it make a sound? Well if you hit .300 and play for the Marlins nobody cares. :D

Which is the ONLY thing I hate about baseball!:mad::( IF Derek Jeter would have played in Pittsburgh...I guess the same would be said about him.

....wait, he would only be there about 3 years and then be wearing a Red Sox uniform....NEVER MIND...!;):p

RodneyDangerfield_Album_no_respect.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)