chromecast to reach potential?

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Been a while coming but with today's coming update announcment the chromecast may finally be the streaming stick we wanted.

It is going to get,among other features, a mirror feature not unlike airplay. With that, any lacking apps, of which there were several, should be good to go. I can see this being big with the watch network tv apps.

Haven't heard anything about Amazon jumping on board.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Well trying this out now, the chromecast just became ALOT more valuable to me.

This may be my go to streaming device. Works with all apps that I've tried, obviously since you are mirroring the screen. So my th apps work great, better than my miracast device. And it's still beta.

Mirroring means apps like DISHAnywhere will work even if they don't have the casting protocol in them. So long as you have an Android device that is compatible with this feature. This is a killer $35 stick.

Mirroring has worked with a laptop for many months. It has undergone several updates to that feature and seems more stable now than at anytime before. (Again on the laptop)

Mirroring with the laptop with chromecast is limited to the chrome browser though, correct?

What this update does is allows you to mirror anything that is on your phones screen, be it an app, browser tab, or just the homescreen itself. It basically works as a stand alone miracast receiver for the phone, although it seems to work better with streaming video from an app than does a stand alone.

Edit: never mind, I remember this feature from a while ago (i think). I also think i tried it. At that time it needed work, which is why I bought my miracast device. Ill have to look again.

Trying to enjoy the CFL game and chromecast has stopped the stream twice. Not sure if its because phone is going to sleep or what. Getting annoyed now.

The only time I use chromecast is if I have to watch something through a network's web site to get it from my laptop to the TV.

Watch ABC updated for chromecast support today

And it looked like crap, maybe 480P at it's best, Hulu ABC shows looks so much better, I do not know what ABC looks like on Apple TV but I will find out since I am buying one soon.

And it looked like crap, maybe 480P at it's best, Hulu ABC shows looks so much better, I do not know what ABC looks like on Apple TV but I will find out since I am buying one soon.

I just tried it with the Agents of Shield season finale and my tv is showing its getting a 1920x1080 signal from the Chromecast. Looks fine to me. The same as the 1920x1080 I get from Watch ABC on my HTPC that is connected.

edit: Ok wifi sucks sometimes. I was just transferring some files from laptop to my work desktop and the quality did drop while that was going on, but once it completed the quality went back up.