Ciel 129W Footprints

As long as the beams to not overlap they can re-use TP frequencies.

The re-use of TP frequencies is how spot beams work.

Look at the second and third pictures in the first post (the Canadian and US Continental beams). They most definitely overlap in the north. And they both use TPs 17-32. Hopefully the Canadians won't suddenly want their half of the bird they are leasing to Dish.

Seeing how Charlie has treated Alaskans (and Hawai'ians) in the past, I wouldn't expect much new HD for the last two states. For 5 1/2 months now, there have been two uplinked HD channels at 110W that Charlie refuses to turn on (Sci-Fi & USA). Why would he start giving us the same stuff as he gives the subs in the CONUS?

This is why I'm moving to D* on Monday. Charlie cares nothing about us up North.
I'm also in NP.

thanks

Each footprint has unique EIRP's

From Highest Power to Lowest ( In to Out)
Canada: 54,52,50,48,46,41,36,26
Conus: 60, 58 56,54,52,47,42,32
Alaska/Canada Spot: 55,53,51,47,38,27
Makes it kinda hard to use the maps without a cheat sheet.
Any chance the EIRP numbers could be put onto the maps? - :eureka

California Spots

The aforementioned San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose spot beam is not shown on the maps at all...

Three spots in California

Attachments

• Ciel 2 129W California Spots.jpg
    Ciel 2 129W California Spots.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 278
[

WOW again. I'm looking forward to complaining about only having ten times more HD channels than I have now. :)

Just being a spot I would expect more HD, but not that much more. Don't worry, they'll still charge us as if we were getting 100 channels. :D[/quote]

Yup, I guess we'll be restricted to complaining about only getting a bit more, instead of only ten times more. Hopefully they'll at least add something we want to watch. ;)

Just being a spot I would expect more HD, but not that much more. Don't worry, they'll still charge us as if we were getting 100 channels.:D

Yup, I guess we'll be restricted to complaining about only getting a bit more, instead of only ten times more. Hopefully they'll at least add something we want to watch. ;)

Although we will get a stronger signal on the spotbeams, won't we still be able to see the other transponders like 110 and 119? We might get more red in our guide!

Although we will get a stronger signal on the spotbeams, won't we still be able to see the other transponders like 110 and 119? We might get more red in our guide!

I was wondering about that. I get both the spots and Conus signals on those two, which are father away than 129 (39" on 110 and 30" on 119). Maybe we'll get lucky on the conus footprint of 129 if something quirky goes our way.

I was wondering about that. I get both the spots and Conus signals on those two, which are father away than 129 (39" on 110 and 30" on 119). Maybe we'll get lucky on the conus footprint of 129 if something quirky goes our way.

Sorry, but there is no way you will get anything more than the Hawaii spot from Ciel 2 (Conus would require something like 5 or 6 meter diameter antenna). But, do not give up hope. The new transmission technologies can load many many channels on one spotbeam.

Sorry, but there is no way you will get anything more than the Hawaii spot from Ciel 2 (Conus would require something like 5 or 6 meter diameter antenna). But, do not give up hope. The new transmission technologies can load many many channels on one spotbeam.

IF Dish won't activate two channels(SCIFI/USA) that we've been able to see in the guide for months, what plans can they have for 129 that would benefit us? It's to bad Dish isn't a little more open about their plans for AK/HI/PR. I've had enough. It's time to check into Direct TV. I'm not sure if I can see their satellites, but it's time to try.

IF Dish won't activate two channels(SCIFI/USA) that we've been able to see in the guide for months, what plans can they have for 129 that would benefit us? It's to bad Dish isn't a little more open about their plans for AK/HI/PR. I've had enough. It's time to check into Direct TV. I'm not sure if I can see their satellites, but it's time to try.

I don't know about Alaska, but in Hawaii, we have to buy our own e* gear. I've got 3 dishes, a dp34, a 722 and a 522. d* HD requires two one-meter dishes, but they have more HD. I think you have to buy their gear as well.

I'll give e* more time to get e*11 settled in and ceil 2 up. As Nelson61 said, it's early to lose hope. Mpeg4 switchover, etc. could mean more HD channels at 110 as well as a bunch on the ciel 2 spot.

It is bizzare that they won't put USA and SCIFI into our mini HD package.

I don't know about Alaska, but in Hawaii, we have to buy our own e* gear. I've got 3 dishes, a dp34, a 722 and a 522. d* HD requires two one-meter dishes, but they have more HD. I think you have to buy their gear as well.

I'll give e* more time to get e*11 settled in and ceil 2 up. As Nelson61 said, it's early to lose hope. Mpeg4 switchover, etc. could mean more HD channels at 110 as well as a bunch on the ciel 2 spot.

It is bizzare that they won't put USA and SCIFI into our mini HD package.

I own a VIP-722 and a VIP-211. The 622 is leased and would need to be returned. I also have three dishes, although the one for 148 is useless right now. I would like to use the the 722 as an off air receiver and for the content on the external hard drive. The CSR I talked to said I could keep the account active for around $9.99 a month + the DVR fee. I would hope that would allow me to use the external hard drive and the local tuner. I've been with Dish for over ten years and hope they get it right eventually, but if I can see the Direct tv birds I'm done.

A dumb question, but how many channels per spot beam are possible?

According to the maps Ak and Hi won't be helped by the CONUS beam, so only the spots will be able to bring us new HD.

A dumb question, but how many channels per spot beam are possible?

According to the maps Ak and Hi won't be helped by the CONUS beam, so only the spots will be able to bring us new HD.

The AK and HI spotbeams will be fed by 5 TPs each. Dish has been loading 7 MPEG4 HDs per TP. 5x7=35. At least that's the maximum possible.

The AK and HI spotbeams will be fed by 5 TPs each. Dish has been loading 7 MPEG4 HDs per TP. 5x7=35. At least that's the maximum possible.

Thanks for the answer. That's what I thought was the number but wanted to be sure from someone in the know.

While not a perfect solution it would be nice to see 35 new HD channels as long as they aren't PPV. If Dish would turn on SCI-FI and USA HD for us now that they are on E-11 it would be nice too. :D

Is that the infamous Tucson Spot Beam I see? Can't tell what area it is, but it looks like it.

Thanks for the answer. That's what I thought was the number but wanted to be sure from someone in the know.

While not a perfect solution it would be nice to see 35 new HD channels as long as they aren't PPV. If Dish would turn on SCI-FI and USA HD for us now that they are on E-11 it would be nice too. :D

If they came out today and said we'll have 35 HD channels to Alaska by January that would keep me from looking somewhere else. We know they're going to be adding new HD channels to the conus lineup by the end of the year, it's been announced. How about a programming update for Alaska Charlie?

If they came out today and said we'll have 35 HD channels to Alaska by January that would keep me from looking somewhere else. We know they're going to be adding new HD channels to the conus lineup by the end of the year, it's been announced. How about a programming update for Alaska Charlie?

e* is losing the Hawaii dish war as near as I can tell. I keep seeing the d* twin 1-meter dishes going up in my vicinity, and rarely a new e* setup. I've told a couple of folks how great the 722 is, but they still went with d* for more HD, and promises of plenty more HD soon, plus a one-dish solution.

I've been with e* for ten years and own my setup, so I'll stick around for a while. With the new birds, e* is poised to be competitive in Hawaii. Now would be a good time to let HI/AK/PR folks know what to expect over the next few months. I'm looking forward to hearing something and then get it "soon", say by February. :hungry:

I hope useful stuff like CNN HD and other news, movies and science channels, etc. will be part of the offering, not a bunch of stuff that I won't watch.

Ciel 2 129W Southen Arizona Spotbeam

Soutnern Arizona Spotbeam

Attachments

• Ciel 2 129W Southern Arizona.jpg
    Ciel 2 129W Southern Arizona.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 242

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)