Cincinnati local channel HD nightmare!

Justsuern

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Rising Sun, IN
So Sunday I call DN to set up appointment to have dish installed to get Cinti. locals in HD. While on hold, we lose our SD locals. When the gal comes back she tells me that was necessary in order to put in the work order. My locals come back on in a few minutes. Then some one from the installers call and say they don't understand the work order and what did we want. Explained dish to get locals in HD. Next day notice my bill is higher. Call and they say because I added locals to my package. Tell them no, already had locals. Then they tell me I changed my package. No, tell them I didn't. Then they tell me I removed the DVR advantage. Told them no I didn't. Get that taken care of. Then ask what is being installed Friday. As the installers have told me adding a Dish 500 but DN tells me replacing with new dish. Again DN tells me a new 20" dish, the 1000.2. I tell them I already have a Dish 1000 and I need a dish to get the 77orbit. They still tell me I get a new dish. I ask if I can have the 1000.4 and she says yes if the technicians deems it necessary.
So I jot off an email to DN telling them how unhappy I am with their cs and how they can't give me a straight answer and after 12 years as a customer, I would like the Dish 1000.4 since it is more practical where I live with the current dish pointing at trees that need to be cut down every few years at hundreds of dollars to me.
So today I get a call from the installer. DN had sent them my email. So they get authorization to install the Eastern arc. Dish 1000.4. Come home from work to no local channels. This turns into a 1 1/2 hour call, 6 csr, finally to the executive office. First person rudely tells me I can't have my locals with an open work order, I tell them not acceptable and get my locals back on. This then deletes my work order. I ask for a supervisor and am sent to a voice mail. Call back. Again told my work order was deleted and they would have to remove my locals to generate a new work order and then could not guarantee the work to be done the day I had requested. Go to another supervisor who tried to solve my problem but disconnects me in the process. Call back again. They are not allowed to call a customer if they disconnect you! Ok, so tell the story again and again told I have to lose my locals to get a work order in. Then I am told the work order was closed today because the tech came out today and determined a tree was blocking the LOS. I informed them no tech came out today, the lost signal was a few months ago and we cut down trees to get the signal back. Go to a supervisor again who "understands my frustration". Thanks, but fix the problem. So he transfers me to executive office. Lose locals again, generate work order, authorized Dish 1000.4 at no cost with no commitment. And a note to say they better not mess with my bill. He tells me my locals will be back on in a few minutes, Doesn't happen. Transfers me to tech support. They have to read all the notes, ask all my info for the 6th time. Finally get my locals but told I may lose them again between now and the work date. There has to be a better way to handle this upgrade!
I call the installers and they tell me 10 work orders have been submitted today. I tell them more may come tonight or tomorrow! So if you already have SD locals and want to upgrade them to HD, be prepared for a battle. Or be willing to lose your SD locals until they come out and install the needed dish.
Tonight they sent me an email saying I refused to have a new work order made. So not only are the csr incompetant, they are liars.
Charlie got an email from me last night. When this is all settled, he will be hearing from me again! :mad:

I just went though the exact same thing. They have know idea whats going on. Finally I talked to someone who did know. Scheduled for next Wednesday. I wasted probably 3 hours total on the phone. Good luck.

We went through something very similar last November to add the JAX, FL HD locals. Went through 3 or 4 Customer Svc folks and thought we had it straightened out. The last one did get the work done but the bill was all screwed up.

ALL those Customer Svc folks were US based. I know because I ask each time I call. I called again about the bill being all messed up and ended up with Customer Svc out of Singapore. This gal straightened out the bill and all has been fine since.

So don't always fault the off shore folks!!!

Most of their problems stem from a craptastic computer system. It is set up so that the CSRs don't have to know anything about the business. They do only what the system allows them to do even if it isn't in either the customer's or E*'s best interests. Why they just don't fix the obvious problems is beyond my understanding. This is just typical E*. They could be so much better.

This is definitely Horse Manure!

I sympathize with anyone trying to get their HD Locals that showed up only on the Eastern Arc. It seems all Dish CS wants to do is give you a wing dish AND cutoff your SD locals while you wait. There definitely seems to be mass confusion within Dish on how to handle this type of situation.

I got tired of the crap and told them I was going to talk to DirecTV. Suddenly they got the picture! I got a 1000.4 and did not lose my locals in the interim.

Charlie needs to take a close look at how his company is treating his customers with the introduction of his Eastern Arc!

Last edited:
I fought with dish, but it was about the wing dish. I never had them cut off my sd locals. They just insisted on putting a wing dish. I finally called the local co that does the installs (digital dish) and they took care of it for me.

My SD locals were cut when I was waiting to have a wing Dish installed for Cleveland HD locals. :( Its craziness....

I just went though the exact same thing. They have know idea whats going on. Finally I talked to someone who did know. Scheduled for next Wednesday. I wasted probably 3 hours total on the phone. Good luck.
So far I still have my locals, and keeping fingers crossed all works out on Friday.
Good luck to you too.
If enough of us send Charlie an email about the horrid cs lately, maybe something will be done about it.

Dish CSRs are incompetent, this we all know. But I honestly believe the problem with having locals shut off to get a new dish installed for HD locals must be a software issue. Since Dish doesn't distinguish between HD locals and SD locals for billing purposes, the software probably won't let them create a work order to install a dish for locals when you already have locals. It does make sense, just not external sense. This is, after all, the same billing software that thinks that a dual-tuner receiver is two receivers, so it makes you keep it connected to a phone line to prove that you're not giving one of the receivers to someone else for free! THAT bit of idiocy is finally scheduled to go away next month! But who knows what other idiocy will be introduced, since they're making the extremely bad move of changing the receiver names, the package names, and the prices all at the same time. If that doesn't sound like a recipe for disaster, I don't know what does.

This is a good example of why Dish is losing subscribers. It is total craziness. Not one CSR that I talked to knew what was going on. Even the tech department didn't know. If it wasn't for this forum I would have gave up but I knew what they had to install.

Does this mean Cincy folks are getting smart cards? I still have not got one.

Thanks for posting this story.

Im not fooling with EA till Dish carries CBS in Cincy. Its not worth our time to fight with Dish over something we would only use from time to time. Our primary OTA station we watch is CBS local 12.

Im not fooling with EA till Dish carries CBS in Cincy. Its not worth our time to fight with Dish over something we would only use from time to time. Our primary OTA station we watch is CBS local 12.

You only need the new smart card at this time if you are looking at the Eastern Arc. You will not get anything off 72.7ºW without the new smart card installed in a ViP receiver.

If you have a newer receiver it may have come to you with the new card already installed.

Charlie needs to take a close look at how his company is treating his customers with the introduction of his Eastern Arc!
Eastern Arc is really only supposed to be available to new customers at this point. Do we read about new customers having similar issues ? Nope....

Mind you, when Dayton's locals finally are available, I'll have to go through the same thing but hopefully they'll have worked out the kinks and the reps will finally understand what's req'd.

You only need the new smart card at this time if you are looking at the Eastern Arc. You will not get anything off 72.7ºW without the new smart card installed in a ViP receiver.
You can still get the HD locals off of 72 without the new smart cards. That is what I did before I got mine. The smart cards are only for SD programming right now. I was able to get all HD programming off of all EA sats without my new smart cards.

I am in the Lexington, KY DMA (EA designation) and have not upgraded yet to the HD locals.

I called this past Saturday to add the Multi Sports pack (Fox Sports channels) to my programming. Took about 45 minutes as they kept telling me that the system "would not allow it". I said that can't be correct. After being put on hold repeatedly it turns out the system ASSUMED I was already setup on EA and that was the reason for the snafu. I guess since I was an HD customer it assumed I had to be EA. Great.

You can still get the HD locals off of 72 without the new smart cards. That is what I did before I got mine. The smart cards are only for SD programming right now. I was able to get all HD programming off of all EA sats without my new smart cards.

If you're talking about Cincinnati locals, they're not on 72.7°, they're on 77°.

Cincinnati, OH
WCPO TV 9 (ABC) WCPO 5160 4 77° E*8
WLWT TV 5 (NBC) WLWT 5152 4 77° E*8
WXIX TV 19 (Fox) WXIX 5263 4 77° E*8
(Newport, KY)

1000.4 installation charge

So is it true we are to pay for the 1000.4 to pick up Cincy HD's? Dish rep told me few weeks ago, I would need pay $99.00.
Unbelievable, that we have waited more than 2 years past the promised date for Cincy locals, that Dish now expects long time customers to fork out more $. :mad:
Please somebody tell me I'm wrong.

VIP722
DVR Advantage
SD Locals

So is it true we are to pay for the 1000.4 to pick up Cincy HD's? Dish rep told me few weeks ago, I would need pay $99.00.
Unbelievable, that we have waited more than 2 years past the promised date for Cincy locals, that Dish now expects long time customers to fork out more $. :mad:
Please somebody tell me I'm wrong.

VIP722
DVR Advantage
SD Locals

In the past it has been $59 with no additional commitment and free with an extended commitment out to 24 months. I'd play CSR roulette. $99 is the usual charge for a first-time installation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)