Cinema 10 - Why did Voom pick these movies??

dnyce

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Atlanta
I haven't heard much about this on this forum but I have a very simple question.
Why doesn't Voom put good movies that people have heard of on their Cinema channels?

I mean I've seen a handful of movies that I recognized and enjoyed watching in HD but they've been thousands of decent movies that were in the theater in the past 20 years that the avg American human has heard of and enjoyed. Is their a reason Voom passed up on those?

If you want to give us old movies fine, give us Godfather, give us Back to the Future, give us Star Wars, give us The Shining, I'll even take Gone with the Wind or Wizard of OZ.
I mean really, who sat down and said let's give them Danton, A big hand for the little lady and Quadrophenia.

I almost shat myself when I saw they added Terminator, now that is a start in the right direction.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE VOOM. But I have to know is their a method to their madness?

You need to pay licenses fee for every movie. Most of these movies may not be available for them license or the HD transfer may not be available either. The Premium channels have a good hold on these movies. Forget about the GodFather. HBO/Cinemax have them and decided not to do the HD transfer. It is about movie studios providing licenses agreement.

I could add just the opposite theme on this post. I like their choice and if you watch some of these movies never heard of, they are very good and different. I feel you can see Godfather, Back to the Future, Star Wars or The Shining any day of the week on Encore/Hbo/Sho, etc. Myself. I have not one complaint on their choice. I just say, Keep it up Voom!

Sean Mota said:
You need to pay licenses fee for every movie. Most of these movies may not be available for them license or the HD transfer may not be available either. The Premium channels have a good hold on these movies. Forget about the GodFather. HBO/Cinemax have them and decided not to do the HD transfer. It is about movie studios providing licenses agreement.

Thanks Sean. That makes sense. So I won't hold my breath for Spiderman and Lord of the Rings :D

To me, the whole Cinema10 concept is wasted without the DVR. About 99.9% of the time I come into the movie after it started.

wbuffetta said:
Sean Lets Face It. By Far Most of The Cinema 10 Movies Are Not Worth watching. Not Even In 1080i

In my opinion, I rather watch a lot of these movies than the new ones. The only thing that is missing from HD Cinema is to stop cropping the movies and show them OAR. I understand if it is not your cup of tea and that's what the premium's are there. But, at least to me, I have watched more movies from HD Cinema than Showtime. Showtime is waste of bandwith. Showtime suffers from the repetitive syndrome. How many more times are they going to show K-19 the Widowmaker?

I think the Cinema10 lineup keeps improving since I got Voom in May, with movies like Clockwork Orange (half the time they don't show it :( ) and Mad Max, MonstersHD is fantastic. I like the cult classic/indie film/lesser known still good type movie channels, I agree with a few others that when there is more HD channels that Voom can aquire, and the DVR is available, they can combine these Cinema10 down and still offer the same movies.

dnyce said:
If you want to give us old movies fine, give us Godfather, give us Back to the Future, give us Star Wars, give us The Shining, I'll even take Gone with the Wind or Wizard of OZ.
I mean really, who sat down and said let's give them Danton, A big hand for the little lady and Quadrophenia.

I would LOVE to see Back to the Future & The Shining in HD! I've been craving seeing these for a long time. Come on, someone, put these in HD! I just saw The Shining in a program guide for one of the movie channels a couple of days ago, but it was listed as SD :no .

The Reason I Got VOOM Is For All THe Premium's In HD. I Saw The Ads For Voom Back In
November 03. I Went To Vooms Web Page & I Saw The Cinema 10. I Saw Their Content & Except For Monsters HD I Thought No Way! How Boring!
In March They Had All The HBO's Showtime Starz Etc. in HD & I Signed Up.
I Have Seen A Couple Interesting Things On The Cinema 10 But Not Enough To Recommend It To Anyone

I agree with OAR. Even 4x3 if that is what it was originally done in. HD should be a process of quality, not shape. It is not up to the exhibitor to crop portions of the original vision (many times at random).

wase4711 said:
you mean the "Three Stooges in Outer Space", and the "Man with Two Heads" aren't the type of flix you want to see on VOOM?

I made them put that in writing before I signed up...you didn't?

There is an odd sort of movies if you ask me. From The Terminator, to a GREAT foerign flick called THe Vanishing, the Good the Bad the Ugly, Clockwork Orange, Nightmare on Elm Street. Sure there is a lot of stuff that I've never heard of, but I'm only 23 :p 99% of the time its better then the crap my local UPN station plays on their Saturday afternoon movie ;)

wase4711 said:
you mean the "Three Stooges in Outer Space", and the "Man with Two Heads" aren't the type of flix you want to see on VOOM?
No, they're not. But In The Mood and Lord Of The Flies (just to name a couple being shown today) are -- especially when you consider that they're included as part of my basic programming package. If top-shelf movies were the highest priority with me, I would subscribe to Va-Va-Voom.

No IFC-HD... yet. Rainbow owns IFC and WE and something else if I'm correct. So we should see IFCHD in the future (obviously). Right now we can get IFC HD with the Cinema 10.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)