Cinema plus connection kit, wireless?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kemo46

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Texas
This question is to the installers or anyone that has had this hooked up. It shows on the website when you get the Whole house service( mrv), the cinema plus connection kit is free and is installed free included in the standard installation. Does this kit include the wireless adapter needed since my wireless modem/router is in another room away from the dvr? Do all installers have the wireless adapters with them if a connection kit is ordered?
Thank you.

Wireless adapter does not work with whole home. The free adapter they are talking about is them installing an deca adapter by your router and having a line there to tie in to the satellite wiring.

Wireless adapter does not work with whole home. The free adapter they are talking about is them installing an deca adapter by your router and having a line there to tie in to the satellite wiring.

With the DECA adaper, I would be able to access the receiver via the computer ( directv2pc) and the receiver access my computer via the home network, is that correct?

kemo,
The cinema plus connection kit is designed to have a wired connection from your router. The box basically converts your twisted pair wiring to DirecTV's coax setup. I don't think a "wireless" connection would work since all your HD receivers/DVRs register separately with your router.

Your options are to prewire a cat-5e line from your router to one of your tv locations (with a socket termination) or just hook the "Cinema Plus" connection (DECA) to your router with a short cord and run a RG6 coax to your splitter. Since your situation sounds like a new install, you have no way of knowing in advance where the splitter will be installed so you will have to let the installer do that. I did all the prewire on my installation since it involved some in-wall wiring that I wanted to do myself.

No one can really answer your last question. There have been many threads on this forum about what equipment installers have on their truck at the time they show up. While I do believe that they really try to have the proper equipment on their trucks, there are a lot of discussions about installers not having what it takes to do a complete install on the first try.

One thing I can assure you, if you do not have the "Cinema Connection Kit" on your installation work order it doesn't matter whether or not your installer has it on their truck: you will not get it installed. That is what happened to me and they wanted $75 to come back and install it. So, your real question should be whether or not it is on your work order. Then, if they don't have the equipment to install it on the first visit, they will come back and complete the job when they get the equipment.

(On edit, I see that stonecold answered one of your questions while I was typing mine. All good stuff.)

If it is not on the work order, most if not all installers can have it easily added (if they have it on their truck).
I personally try to carry one for every work order that can use one no matter if it is on the work order or not because not only do I get paid extra for installing it, will ping all my phone lines for me.
(Very important for me because if I am not at 40%+ I get back charged $3 for every receiver I install)

However, I can't speak for every installer out there as there are some lazy ones that could care less about what you want/need and there are some that just may not be allowed to get extra equipment.

Absolute best policy is to go over your work order with your installer prior to him doing any work.
A lot of work orders get screwed up (some royally) and weather it was the CSR/Sales person fault or the customer not knowing what they are asking for, it happens.
Spending 5 minutes to do this could save you a lot of headaches.

I used a Netgear wnce2001 universal wireless adapter with my recent install. Excellent product and easy to use. I too expected the Cinema kit to be connected but the DECA is in a separate room from my router.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)