Cinemax HD ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
If they charge a price for the HD package, you should get all the HD channels no matter what other sd package you have. Almost like double jeopardy. I guess they get around this by saying the SD and HD versions of the same channel have different content, which in many cases, they do. It's an "I gotcha"!

I think the deal is if you pay for Cinemax, HBO, Showtime, or Starz, the programmers include the HD version as part of their contract with E* w/o subs having to subscribe to the E* HD pak. Perhaps the Cinemax contract isnt the same as the HBO or Showtime contract, and E* had to pay extra to Cinemax to broadcast it (but I doubt it, since Cinemax is part of HBO).

If the programmer isn't charging additional for E* to provide the HD version, I think that E* ought to broadcast it. As far as Cinemax is concerned, it appears that we might have it soon...on channel 9458...

That being said, I guess E* doesnt HAVE to provide anything other than what their contract with the programmer stipulates. For example, E* provides 5 of the SD Cinemax multichannels, where D* provide 3, and I think Time Warner (Austin) provides at least 8.

As a subscriber of Cinemax and Showtime, I obviously want CinemaxHD and TMCHD. I was getting CinemaxHD (but not TMCHD, if i recall correctly) with Time Warner w/o subscribing to their highly limited HD pak.

I don't agree that E* should have to provide every HD channel they offer as part of the HD pak - that it is fine to only get the HBOHD channel if you subscribe to HBO, but I do think that if the programmer offers an HD channel as part of their contract with E*, that E* should make it available to their subscribers.

I would like to know what criteria they use as to what channel gets the premium label. Why is National Geographic and Hallmark in a higher level of programing? I have AT100 with HD and probably won't get anything of significance anymore unless I upgrade to the 250 deal or higher. I think if E could pick apart the VOOM package, we would see a lot of those channels in the upper tiers. It's all about money.

I would like to know what criteria they use as to what channel gets the premium label. Why is National Geographic and Hallmark in a higher level of programing? I have AT100 with HD and probably won't get anything of significance anymore unless I upgrade to the 250 deal or higher. I think if E could pick apart the VOOM package, we would see a lot of those channels in the upper tiers. It's all about money.

Of course its ALL about money. E* is a publicly traded company with the primary responsability of increaseing shareholder value.

What, did you think they did this out of the goodness of their heart? :hatsoff:

Of course its ALL about money. E* is a publicly traded company with the primary responsability of increaseing shareholder value.

What, did my you think they did this out of the goodness of their heart? :hatsoff:

I just stated it's all about money. What didn't you gleen from my comment? It's others that think that way.

How about a new sat at 129? That's a big problem. They put Cinemax HD on 129 (which, of course, they will) and for us west-coasters, they may as well not even bother.

They've got spare sats they could use, but won't. They could move up a launch date, but won't. The tech that did a site survey here said the only place a 1000.2 could go is on my roof and I don't want a dish up there.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just really frustrated with E* attitude about 129 and west coast subs.

Cinemax HD is already up on 129 and 61.5 its just not available to customers yet.

Its up in 1440x1080 in true mpeg 4.

I expect it toaunch before May 4th

And as soon as Dish starts moving channels to MPEG-4 to fit more HD channels, "forcing" equipment replacements, we'll be screaming our fool heads off.

TANSTAAFL

How about a new sat at 129? That's a big problem. They put Cinemax HD on 129 (which, of course, they will) and for us west-coasters, they may as well not even bother.

They've got spare sats they could use, but won't. They could move up a launch date, but won't. The tech that did a site survey here said the only place a 1000.2 could go is on my roof and I don't want a dish up there.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just really frustrated with E* attitude about 129 and west coast subs.

I live in Western Oregon. Since installing a 24" dish for 129 I have not had a single outage!

I said it before and I will say it again. They ought to use the 148 sat for the west coast subs till the 129 sat is replaced. THey can mirror the hd channels to the 148 sat. I know that it would mean extra work for the installers to point the dish to 148 instead of 129 , and move it again once the 129 sat is replaced, but wouldn't it be better to Keep hd subs happy on the west coast till the new sat is in place next year? They are going to mirror the mpeg 4 hd channels to Alaska and Hawaii via spot beams so I don't see why they can't do something like this for 148 sat. All they are using it for is testing for the most part and some sd locals. I would think that mirroring hd to this sat is no different than putting international channels on 61.5, 121, 118, 148 .

Exactly. It wouldn't hurt them to at least try to do something to resolve the issue for us west-coasters. I talked to a local retailer and he told me that the 1000.2 really doesn't resolve the loss-of-signal entirely for folks here in Western WA. His tests showed that drop-outs still happen, just less frequently they they do with the D1000.

It is incomprehensible to me that E* continues to put their best PQ programming on a screwed-up satellite that makes it impossible to record because L4.03 reboots the 622 when the drop-outs occur. It's just plain wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)