Cisco getting out of home routers.

They really haven't been good for 3 or 4 years now. I love my DLink dgl4300

We have a wifi access point that is a Cisco brand for our wifi bridge that I have our Ooma connected to. It lasted a good 6 months before it would start going bonkers every time we had a power outage or you unplugged it. I have to baby it when plugging it back in in order to get it to come back up. Usually it will just flash all of the LEDs very dim.

I think the last good router Cisco/LinkSys made was the WRT-54G or GL. I gave my old 54G to a relative when I bought a 54GL four years ago. I'm STILL using the 54GL. I was looking at going GigaBit for streaming between my PC's and Networked A/V Receiver/Oppo BD player but the Cisco GigaBit routers are getting poor reviews and lots of folks are having connection problems.

Prices have come down and there is more competition out there now. I think if more people knew about Ubiquiti, Deliberant, etc that they would go with that instead as they give you more bang for the buck in my opinion.

I bought a BEFSR41 (wired) router 12 years ago ($148 from Amazon) that I still have. I no longer use it because a) it's wired and needed wireless eventually and b) it was under-powered for, ummm, high data traffic, i.e. torrents. Back in the day, if I downloaded and seeded large files like movies, it would lock up the router after a period of time.

My wireless router is a WRT54G version 2, I believe. That has 16mb of RAM and 4mb of Flash ROM. Later versions they halved the memory and eventually changed chipsets (cheaper) and didn't work well with 3rd-party firmwares.

I have one of the EA4500's and love it. Wonder, however, if those would be part of what's on the block.....

I would imagine ALL of the LinkSys rounded designs would go. If you have seen the Cisco business stuff, they are basically black boxes. The RV220W runs about $270 and the WRVS4400N is $190. The latter is probably close to your EA4500 minus dual 450 and added security. The RV220W is probably equivalent to the EA4500 or maybe the EA6500 with added security.

I would imagine ALL of the LinkSys rounded designs would go. If you have seen the Cisco business stuff, they are basically black boxes. The RV220W runs about $270 and the WRVS4400N is $190. The latter is probably close to your EA4500 minus dual 450 and added security. The RV220W is probably equivalent to the EA4500 or maybe the EA6500 with added security.

The EA6500 is not the small business model. If they are getting rid of the Linksys models then the EA6500 will also be going.

Doesn't surprise me. They were the king of residential routers but then they lost it. Lots of mistakes from antennaless designs, poor power, etc. Not going to get into the software issues they created..

Time for them to go.

Sent from a little old Note 2

Both my wifi router and wireless bridge are Linksys. I wonder what will be the top of the line when I need to go replace them?

Summer 2009, I swapped out my POS D-link for a WRT-54 variant.
(the large memory model built as a T-mobile hot-spot)
I installed Tomato ver 1.25.8515, and haven't looked back.
Took all my torrenting load, thousands of connections, and kept up with my modest 3mb DSL.
Think I paid $17 shipped, and bought two so I'd have a spare.
So far, the only down time has been due to power failure.

All computers are wired for faster transfer speed.
Only thing I run wireless, is my phone.

If the Linksys name dies tomorrow, it will have left an enduring legacy
... Of course, that predates Cisco involvement.

Hmmm. I wonder how much of the value was just the name?

BTW, link is behind a paywall.

Linksys routers have sucked since Cisco took over so I wouldn't want to buy one at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts