Titanium Satellite CK1S Combo C & KU Bands LNBF

dfecarter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
Connecticut
So I finished installing a new 8' unimesh dish last week.
It is motorized, LNBF is Titanium CK1S , receiver is an X2 Premium 1V FTA box in conjunction with a Titanium ASC1 positioner.
I have programmed in 13 C-band sats in to my receiver, which has been saved in the ASC1.
I have every reason to believe the dish is tracking the arc quite well. The Luken chs. on 83W are usually in the 70's for picture quality and the Encompass group of chs. on 97W fluctuate for me.
Is there anything quirky about the Encompass set (Buzzr, Laff, etc.)?
Many times when I watch the Encompass ones, my pq will be in the 80's then drop down to 0-10 to where I lose the signal. I would say about 25% of the time i experience this.
I am new to c-band , previously had ku dishes.
Now an interesting thing just happened tonight I drove the dish to 97W went to Buzzr , nothing, did get in some of the Mexican chs but not all of them. Then after about 4 or 5 mins the ASC1 moved on it;s own a click or two and boom I locked in good with a more moderate pq of 50's-60's.
Not sure if the explanation is in the positioner or LNBF? Then again, wasn't sure if the above chs. groups have a tendency to do such a thing. I have also had a rapid total drop in signal on the Luken chs. and others I think but I usually don't notice the positioner give off this delayed/latent movement. Not sure what would trigger this? Does the positioner have some sort of ability to move in response to signal reception with certain transponders.
Thanks...

The ASC1 itself does not have a the ability to detect signal strength. However, some receivers will send a command to the dish mover(in this case an ASC1) to "bump" the dish E or W a click or two, to try and get a better signal.

To add to KE4EST's post, receivers often issue and/or repeat 22KHz/DiSEqC commands to reestablish a signal path when signal is lost or does not lock. If the STB detected a valid signal, it probably sent the commands for the selected satellite.

Brian,
Hi I called you last week about my ASC1 and 18" actuator. So Venture is replacing the apparently defective actuator with an identical one.
My FTA system is an 8' unimesh dish, c/ku Titanium CK1S , receiver is an X2 Premium 1V FTA box in conjunction with a Titanium ASC1 positioner.
removed old motor, parked at 107W. If I reconnect the new actuator and the ASC1 is turned to the corresponding position to 107W (pos#14 as saved in asc1).
Can i just reconnect the new motor? Or is there some reason why I would need to move the asc1 to zero position? I will set the limits on the positioner.
Thanks!
ps. if I were to move the thinner end piece of the actuator, might that damage it? Should I attempt to adjust this piece to match it to the old actuator I removed from this dish?

Use a 12 volt battery or battery charger to drive the new actuator out to the length of the defective actuator, then install on the dish. Be careful to extend the actuator and not retract. Retracting the actuator, by running in the wrong direction can damage it if it binds without the mechanical limit cam switch set.

With the ASC1 parked on 107w (#14), power off the rear master power switch. Connect the ASC1 to the actuator and turn on the master power switch. The counts and satellite positions should be the same as the replacement is an identical motor. Drive the dish to the East and set the east mechanical limiter switch inside the actuator, then drive the dish to the West limit and set the west limit mechanical switch. Usually these mechanical limits are set 10 or 20 counts past the last satellite in your view-able arc (or before the dish flop or hitting the mount limit or object).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts